First off let me say that I'm not looking to record a song with drums, bass, guitar and vocals and all of that...

I just want to record my own playing so I can upload it to my computer. I have thought about getting a guitar to computer cable, but my computer isn't exactly anywhere close to where my guitar is set up and it's not in the most comfortable place to play either. So what is the best way I can record my playing and upload to my comp?
YEAH
That sounds like the easiest way to do it, but wouldn't I still have to have the mic hooked up to my computer?
YEAH
1. Go to dollar store
2. Buy headphones that come with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter
3. find mic with a 1/8" plug
4. attach adapter to mic then plug into computer
5. download audacity
6. ?????
7. Profit

mind you, itll sound meh at best. after all, it is cheap
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
I read what you meant about not being close to the computer...but if you want it cheap....this is the cheapest. Get a super USB extender...
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Is no one listening to him ? He doesn't want to/can't record straight to his computer.

However, in these circumstances, there isn't much in the way of very cheap solutions. The best way is of course to use a multi track recorder with a built in mic. They come in a large range of prices, but even the cheapest is around £130. You would be better with the computer option if at all possible.
There is poetry in despair.
cheapest ways are in my second UG Video - "low budget recording" (linked in my sig)

I suggest running audio into the line in port or the mic port...
but be aware that quality wont be anywhere near as good as you may like...

The best way to go is with an interface of some kind...
Quote by fridge_raider
Is no one listening to him ? He doesn't want to/can't record straight to his computer.

However, in these circumstances, there isn't much in the way of very cheap solutions. The best way is of course to use a multi track recorder with a built in mic. They come in a large range of prices, but even the cheapest is around £130. You would be better with the computer option if at all possible.

I was looking at those recorders, and those are more than what I would want to spend on recording gear at the moment. Oh well, whenever I get a laptop I should be able to record from guitar straight to my comp.

Thanks for the suggestions from all you guys anyway...
YEAH
I did something with my laptop, the audio qaulity was pretty bad though...
I set up my guitar and amp, and i had a 1/4 jack adapter, and a jack to jack lead.
I put the 1/4 jack adapter in the headphones out, and the jack to jack lead in the adapter, plugged it into the mic input on my laptop, opened audacity, then started recording, it sounded a bit bad qaulity though, but it was worth a try...
I have a solution that is cheaper then 130 pounds, and gives you better recording quality then some albums.

For $30 you can buy this.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Express-Player-Black/dp/B000MD40N8

It has a recorder. That workers really good. I've recorded a cover of a song with my band, only 2 people. We used keyboards too and added in vocals with Audacity. It works great.

Or record things separately, and struggle with audacity to try and line it up perfectly.

It works for me.
^ I doubt that this produces a decent recording. Do you have the track for us to listen to ?
There is poetry in despair.
Well actually, had a similar make, (not SanDisk) and that was like 3 years ago, and it wasnt bad quality i tell you...
PM me if you really want to hear it.
Last edited by Dead1 at Jul 11, 2008,
Well I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but i figured this would be better then making my own thread. Could I use a USB mic get a good recording program and then maybe get like a drum machine playing over the top?

has no signature.
one way is to just buy a mic, plug it in, and mic your amp. you can use audacity to do the recording. tis a free program.

another is to buy a voice recorder and record something on it and upload that to the comp. i have done this before and it comes out pretty decent if its just one guitar playing rather quietly
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by 11223344554433
Well I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but i figured this would be better then making my own thread. Could I use a USB mic get a good recording program and then maybe get like a drum machine playing over the top?

Could you? Yes you could. I doubt you would get a very good sound, I suggest an interface or on the upper scale end, a digital mixer.