Hey all,

Just got a brand new Cole Clark FL2 custom and i absolutely adore it.

When im not playing it it sits proudly in my living room but the only place i can put it gets the afternoon sun through the back door. This means that its often bathed in sunlight for a few hours every afternoon.

I picked it up the other day and noticed it was warm to the touch and was wondering if this sunlight will damage my new baby in any way? Seems logical to me to think its certainly cant be a good thing?

Im hoping some of you guys may be able to offer up your experience and let me know if its vital i move it the hell out of the sun?!!?

Cheers!
Depends on the finish, but IMO some sun gives the guitar more character and makes it more vintage looking.
Why can’t a heterosexual guy tell a heterosexual guy that he thinks his booty is fly?

Quote by Curious Jeff
These posts are too long. Just do some drugs
direct sunlight the best for your guitar. my first thought is that the bridge is a dark colour and can heat up quite a lot from direct sunlight. I dont think it would be enough to melt the glue from under the bridge, but i do think that it will eventually soften up the glue.

I would try to avoid direct sunlight on your guitar for long periods of time.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
direct sunlight the best for your guitar. my first though is that the bridge is a dark colour and can heat up quite a lot from direct sunlight. I dont think it would be enough to melt the glue from under the bridge, but i do think that it will eventually soften up the glue.

I would try to avoid direct sunlight on your guitar for long periods of time.

The inlays will also slightly change color, so if it has to stay in that place cover up the fretboard. The body on the other hand (as I said above it varies on the finish) will look older and in my opinion better,
Why can’t a heterosexual guy tell a heterosexual guy that he thinks his booty is fly?

Quote by Curious Jeff
cheers guys.

its a satin finish like most cole clark fat ladies.

i suppose i was primarily worried that the sun may cause the wood to warp or lose some of its quality?

id love to just move it to a different spot but my damn apartment is so cluttered it would take a whole rearrangement of the room to move it around.
Quote by --B--
cheers guys.

its a satin finish like most cole clark fat ladies.

i suppose i was primarily worried that the sun may cause the wood to warp or lose some of its quality?

id love to just move it to a different spot but my damn apartment is so cluttered it would take a whole rearrangement of the room to move it around.

You don't have to worry about the wood to warp or anything. It's more a cosmetic issue.

Quote by Curious Jeff
Quote by Teppe
The inlays will also slightly change color, so if it has to stay in that place cover up the fretboard.

i cant believe i hadnt just thought of covering it up in the first place!!!

while it will certainly take something away from the appeal of the room (with the guitar proudly displayed) if it ensures a long and quality life time then i think its worth it.

The body on the other hand (as I said above it varies on the finish) will look older and in my opinion better,

i agree with you here too but its just so new i cant do that to my baby yet.. lol.
well well well!

Brad Clark himself replied to an email i sent him. what a legend.

Hi

All timber yellows/ oxidises a little when exposed to sunlight.

Older guitars look good. Perfect imperfection.

One test of adhesives and build I use, is to leave guitars in the car for weeks on end over summer: It/ they must endure great heat, and variation. The tops undulate a little, but there has been no complete failure to date. It is not 'recommended practice'.

Guitars are 'happiest' in stable average humidity and generally speaking, where you are.

Direct sunlight or substantial heat is not recommended. 'Warm', should be no issue.

Thanks & enjoy sir!
Brad Clark
Quote by --B--
well well well!

Brad Clark himself replied to an email i sent him. what a legend.

Now that's good service.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Last edited by captivate at Jul 8, 2008,
You could always put a curtain/drape over the door, so the sun doesn't shine into your room!

Freshman acoustic
IbanezGAX70
DIGITECH RP100
Okay guys. I have a problem with my guitar.

I had some little visitors for a week or so. Now because of practical issues, they slept in my room. I had my guitar in there and complete faith that my baby will be okay, even though the little rascals are known for their eagerness to smash things.

And since I was at home most of the time and saw that they really weren't interested in my guitar. It was also in the bag I always keep it to protect it.

The good news is that the guitar itself is fine. The bad news is that the brand logo(Stagg) has been knocked off the headpiece(where the tuning levers are).

And the problem is: does it affect the guitar's playing qualities or is it just something that really really annoys me. Also, would anyone know if logos can be bought at a guitar store?(I mean in general, do stores sell them or not)
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.