here is my dilemma. im going to be getting a prs se custom soon, and it only has 2 knobs, 1 volume, 1 tone. my desired customizations:

split coils: done with a push-pull volume pot (the one volume knob can tap both pups right?)
kill switch: similar to how u do it on a LP, 2 volumes, 1 for each pickup, then just hit the pup selector to the off pup and it makes a killswitch effect, done with a double stacked volume knob

is there anyway possible without drilling in another knob, to make both these mods possible?

thanks all.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
You can certainly split both pickups with one push-pull knob. (note: this assumes that the PRS pickups have 4 leads coming out, I'm not sure as I've never opened one).

Push-pull pots generally have a DPDT switch, so you'll use one side for each pickup. For the Neck pickup, Solder both the Negative North lead and Positive South lead to one of the end terminals on the switch. Then connect the middle terminal to ground. Do the same with the bridge pickup except on the other side of the switch.

If you wire it this way, pulling up on the pot splits the coils and pushing in is the normal humbucker. (Please note that these colors probably don't match your wires, they are just for reference.)
Quote by cedricsmods
You can certainly split both pickups with one push-pull knob. (note: this assumes that the PRS pickups have 4 leads coming out, I'm not sure as I've never opened one).

Push-pull pots generally have a DPDT switch, so you'll use one side for each pickup. For the Neck pickup, Solder both the Negative North lead and Positive South lead to one of the end terminals on the switch. Then connect the middle terminal to ground. Do the same with the bridge pickup except on the other side of the switch.

If you wire it this way, pulling up on the pot splits the coils and pushing in is the normal humbucker. (Please note that these colors probably don't match your wires, they are just for reference.)

great, thats good to know, thanks a lot.

so now is it possible to have both these mods?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
You can have both without drilling, simply use a double volume pot, and use the push-pull on the tone control to split the coils.
Quote by Joel Rainville
You can have both without drilling, simply use a double volume pot, and use the push-pull on the tone control to split the coils.

i was curious if using the tone pot to split the coils was possible. not that i dont trust u but can anyone confirm this?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
It doesn't matter what control you use for the push-pull, the onboard DPDT switch on a push-pull is a totally independent switch, not related to what you do with your pot in any way.

but since you don't trust me, wait for someone else to confirm!...
Quote by Joel Rainville
It doesn't matter what control you use for the push-pull, the onboard DPDT switch on a push-pull is a totally independent switch, not related to what you do with your pot in any way.

but since you don't trust me, wait for someone else to confirm!...

heh thanks. the only wiring iv ever done is swapping pickups, iv never messed around with this kind of stuff, so thanks for the info, and ill start this up as soon as i get my prs.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
^^It's true.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
You can use a pot to split the coils., wire the red and white (duncan color code) to the middle lug and the right lug ( looking at the back of the pot) to ground that way you can dial varying amounts of one coil to ground. you can find this mod at the SD website it's called the spin a split. I wired a hot rails like that on my Squire (with a master tone) so i didn't have to add a switch .
Takes a Knockin' and Keeps on Rockin" DOA #08-01502
^ But what your saying would mean that he would either have to lose the normal function of his tone pot, or drill another hole. I don't think that is what he wants. The diagram I drew will let you split both pickups using one push-pull pot and the tone still functions normally. A concentric volume pot would allow two separate volumes without a new hole.