I started playing 2 weeks ago, and now spend ~2hrs a day just doing 1 minute chord changes. I do all the 1 min combinations of A C D E G F Am Dm Em twice. I also do a 'scaley' type exercise my guitar teacher taught me to warm up which takes about 15min. Then if I am feeling up to it I will do 30-60min of justinguitar.com's rhythm guitar lessons. I play around with simple songs in between exercises.

I feel like I am spending way too much time on chord changes, but I don't know which changes are important and which aren't. Should I be adding in exercises like finger gym and the spider? What other exercises should I do? Justin has a great intermediate practice routine, but no beginner routine.

Thanks.
no they have a both practice rountines just click beginners course on the side
Quote by Kensai
It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
believe me, chord changes are some of the most important things you'll have to learn. For example if you play in a big band and you're basically the only guitarist, you'll have to know your stuff. It's like the basis of everthing imo. I think you're on a pretty good way. Maybe start practicing some advanced chords soon.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
What is a good chord change number per minute to hit before starting on the blues chords?

Thanks for all your replies, I can't believe I didn't see that starter routine on there.
Dude, if you can play chords with clean transitions you can technically make it as an artist. Seriously, a lot of music is just chords chords chords, with some guy playing some wimpy little lick.

But if you move away from mainstream music, then it can be a bit more interesting. IMO(In My Opinion) you seem to be trying a bit too hard, but then I just guess you're eager.
Gear(Sucks):
Aria STG Series Strat
Yamaha F310P Acoustic
BOSS DS-2 Distortion.
RMS 10 Watt Practice Amp

Wishlist:
New guitar
Brawl: 2578 4543 4918
Chord transitions are really the building block to everything else. You may want to add in other things to practice just to keep things interesting, but chords are vital.