I own an Acoustic Gibson guitar. It has a really nice sound to it, and I keep it in tune. However I have some problems while learning to play. I wont be too indirect here.
I was trying to learn some chords and well, the strings hurt my fingers when I hold them down. Also, I often hear other strings cut off. I have to struggle to get it just right.
And when playing chords...or strumming them, do I have to play all the notes at once? up and down? sorry if this question confuses whoever is nice enough to answer, i will try to provide more clarification if needed.
I have no previous experience with guitar, just listen to lots of music.
I am in the same position as you, what with strings cutting off and having to try a lot just to get a chord down. And yea play all the notes at once unless you have to mute a string for a certain chord.
It will take time till you build up enough strength in your hands and fingers so the discomfort is normal. Any excessive pain and you should stop and rest for awhile, stretching out your hands. For the most part a chord is strummed so that one note bleeds into the next in succession. Take your time and pratice slowly, perhaps starting with just bar chords and 3 note triads. You're trying for the cleanest possible sounds so play slow enough that you can achieve that.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
in the song "hey there delilah" is he playing chords or arrpeggios?
its sounds alot like he hits one string and then 2 others
and thanks for the input guys!
callusus...that may take awhile
but i guess it will be worth it
Beware : I am honest, but not brutal
the strings are going to keep hurting your fingers until you get used to it...don't play to the point where you get blister cause that can set you back
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
are you learning that song?
awesome!! thats the first song i learnt too!

if you need any info on the song just ask!

and yes, at first he plucks D string with thumb then pluck both string simutaneously (G & B), he uses finger picking.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
take your time to learn dude. hey there delilah is mainly finger picked. when strumming, the notes would come out in succession. try to get your chords to sound right, avoid muting strings and all that. barre chords would come a little later, gotta season your fingers a little before attempting barre chords.
Quote by Gormanilius
in the song "hey there delilah" is he playing chords or arrpeggios?
its sounds alot like he hits one string and then 2 others

Good job, you're absolutely right! That's a good first song to learn because people absolutely adore it for some reason lol. They'll think you're amazing just from playing that haha.

If I were you, I would get a chord book and learn all your basic major and minor chords. This wil open up a lot of songs for you. The acoustic guitar is a beautiful instrument, and there's so much you can do just from knowing chords.

Also, if anyone tells you to start learning music theory as soon as you can, don't listen to them. Wait a few months before you start that because when people start out learning nothing but scales and theory, they get bored and quit the instrument. Try to make the first year as fun as possible; that way you'll love the instrument. Once you have the basics down and know a couple of songs, then you can start learning scales and theory.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
I have been practicing some more. It seems I may have been trying to get ahead of myself there.
I have a problem playing D maj. and D min. they sound muted
anyone else have this problem, and if so, how do i get around this? Is it learned with practice?
Right now I am working on basic chord prograssions and memorizing basic chords
Quote by Gormanilius
I have been practicing some more. It seems I may have been trying to get ahead of myself there.
I have a problem playing D maj. and D min. they sound muted
anyone else have this problem, and if so, how do i get around this? Is it learned with practice?
Right now I am working on basic chord prograssions and memorizing basic chords

Make sure that your palm it not resting on the strins when you are strumming, that would cause a muting of the strings. Yes, palm muting is used in music and you will learn it later when you get the basic chords down to add more spice to your playing.

Also when playing the dmaj and dm chords make sure that you are only strumming the bottom 4 strings (D, G, B & e).

Hope this helps.
After a few days of owning this guitar, I am starting to feel more confident.
I need to work on chord progressions more, I got a few good ones but I sometimes have to look at my left hand to get it right.
Callisus are finally developing, now just trying to avoid blistering
For the record I am using Simply Guitar, by Steve Mackay, to do this.
Its helpful for a beginer like me.
although I noticed a few errors in the book.
once again thank you for all your input.
Quote by HuckIt
the strings are going to keep hurting your fingers until you get used to it...don't play to the point where you get blister cause that can set you back

hm my finger tips have this hard dead skin thats kinda shiny, but its flattened the tip of my finger cause its just this flat dead skin. My finger tips are pretty much shredded alive.
after you learn the basic open chords (A B C D E F G) and posibbly a few minors you should start learning barre chords, thats when you have to use your whole index finger on a fret, barre is used in the B and the F chord (unless you use the other way for F)

at first its quite hard but if you keep working on it it will become easy as heck, trust me.
the reason you should start learning barre so early is because many songs use it, hey there delilah uses it.

Originally posted by GOD
Quote by akm_202
the reason you should start learning barre so early is because many songs use it, hey there delilah uses it.

That's really more of a "why NOT to learn barre chords" argument.

However, learning barre chords will give you some nice moveable shapes and will increase your finger strength immensely. Just don't play "Hey There Delilah", please.
oh im not a big fan of the song
i just wanted to see if i could play it
but im not messing with it at the moment
actually wehen the time i s right I want to start learn who to compose music.
but i need to learn how to play something first ;p
guitar and paino are my favorite instruments
WHOA!!!!!
slow down cowboy!!

how long have you been playing?
if only a few months then you might want to slow down, i've been playing for almost a year, the first thing i wanted to do was create an amazing song, got the lyrics but i just couldnt make the melody of it, i knew all the basic+minor chords and etc
you'd probably need to learn a lot of songs

Originally posted by GOD
yea hold all strings down and strum simultaneously...and your fingers/fingertips will get stronger...trust me its definately worth it not to give up guitar just cause it hurts for a month...its the best hobby and more fun, cool, impressive than kicking a soccer ball...anyone can do that!
I am almost to barre chords, or at least a point where i feel like i can practice them
I am trying to get transitioning from basic chords to be a bit easier
You know what? You sound like you're doing the right things. Just keep playing, and keep asking questions, learning new stuff, and having fun. The best thing about being a total beginner is that you will never make progress this quickly again. So enjoy it.

If I've got one suggestion it is that you should start trying to learn stuff- probably simple stuff- by ear. I mean, even if it's as simple as sitting down and figuring out the melodies to Christmas carols and nursery rhymes. This is like money in a high-yield investment. It will compund and bring in great returns over the years.
I am starting to feel some pain in my left hands pinky, is that normal?
Quote by philipp122
Good job, you're absolutely right! That's a good first song to learn because people absolutely adore it for some reason lol. They'll think you're amazing just from playing that haha.

If I were you, I would get a chord book and learn all your basic major and minor chords. This wil open up a lot of songs for you. The acoustic guitar is a beautiful instrument, and there's so much you can do just from knowing chords.

Also, if anyone tells you to start learning music theory as soon as you can, don't listen to them. Wait a few months before you start that because when people start out learning nothing but scales and theory, they get bored and quit the instrument. Try to make the first year as fun as possible; that way you'll love the instrument. Once you have the basics down and know a couple of songs, then you can start learning scales and theory.

I agree with this. It's a good thing, I think, to intersperse songs with theory. But after the first year, yeah, that's when to start theory. before that, don't bother, it's quite confusing sometimes.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Gormanilius
I am starting to feel some pain in my left hands pinky, is that normal?

How does it hurt? The muscle or the tip?
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
musle.
For now i shall practice chord pregressions until my strength is better.
A question. I was browseing ye olde bookstore today and noticed some worgs in a book that were foreign to me. Hammer-ons and pull-offs.
I once saw a man play a guitar so majestically...it sounded like a violin. Is it one of these?
Are these advanced tecniques?