I'm a huge fan of the 60s-70s scene. and there was SOOO many great songwriters back then. Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, and of course The Beatles. Those were probably the big three. But they all did drugs. do you really need to be hopped up on acid to get that color with your lyrics?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
ha im in the same position as you..... love all that music but i hate drugs. i been trying for years to try to come up with stuff like that but i cant
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
Quote by keithmoon15
ha im in the same position as you..... love all that music but i hate drugs. i been trying for years to try to come up with stuff like that but i cant

Why on gods green earth would you not like Drugs?
lol yeah. everything i come out with comes out, well, sober... and I'm like the biggest anti-druggy. So yeah not very much fun. lol

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
well depends on what you're trying to write, if it's the next Purple Haze your boned but if you want to write something like Yellow Submarine just come up with a weird and unique anecdote... Or get stoned and lose brain cells and have great music... But according to Jimi Hendrix Purple Haze was a "dream" where he was saved by an angel and purple haze was all around, drug induced or not maybe you'll get lucky and have a trippy dream...
My Music:
Solo project: myspace.com/dermy3blkaht
Full band (iRockit): myspace.com/nj136
Quote by ZeBubba!
Why on gods green earth would you not like Drugs?

why should i? drugs killed my uncle and two close friends of mine, and i know a lot more people that have been ****ed up by drugs so i dont use em
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
Well, look at it this way... John Lennon and George Harrison were the only two Beatles who used acid on a regular basis. Sure, they were stoned basically 90% of the time, but Paulie Mac says he took acid probably only four times but didn't like it.

And I've never heard of Bob Dylan taking acid or anything harder than smoking weed. So you don't need to be hopped up on acid, just stoned will do.

That's how I wrote Shadow Ninja
Quote by keithmoon15
why should i? drugs killed my uncle and two close friends of mine, and i know a lot more people that have been ****ed up by drugs so i dont use em

And the best attitude that you can have. Stay away from dangerous drugs .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Ezuma
Well, look at it this way... John Lennon and George Harrison were the only two Beatles who used acid on a regular basis. Sure, they were stoned basically 90% of the time, but Paulie Mac says he took acid probably only four times but didn't like it.

And I've never heard of Bob Dylan taking acid or anything harder than smoking weed. So you don't need to be hopped up on acid, just stoned will do.

That's how I wrote Shadow Ninja

This is true, But Paulie Mac loved his weed, as well as Bob Dylan. Both Smoked and wrote a lot, I am a firm believer that drugs can aid creativity, BUT they are not necessary for creativity.
Tiananmen Square Dance
Well of course it isn't.

I posted that moreso to just prove that Paul (and Bob) weren't real big trippers (despite being stoners) but still wrote great songs anyway.

And I also just noticed that every Beatle's initials are within a one or two letters of each other.

George Harrison - f G H
John Lennon - i J k L
Paul McCartney - M n o P
Ringo Starr - q R S
Quote by Ezuma

And I also just noticed that every Beatle's initials are within a one or two letters of each other.

George Harrison - f G H
John Lennon - i J k L
Paul McCartney - M n o P
Ringo Starr - q R S

lol random?

well yeah. all these guys were great. and they're all my idols in songwriting. Hopefully someday i'll be able to write something as full and colorful as they did. all they're music filled the air with flowers, in one way or another. and i think we're missing that in our world today.

Well yeah. Before i write an essay on how the world should be, i think I'll stop...

Frank Zappa is the perfect example of why you DON'T need drugs. Listen to his "We're Only in It For The Money" album and you'll see the exact opposite of what everyone here is saying.

Also, Roger Waters and David Gilmour weren't giant drug users, (Mainly because they saw what happened to Syd Barrett.)

And then, everyone talks about how Jimi was so great on the drugs, but in the end, that's what did him in so early in life. Janis Joplin, John Bonham and Bon Scott all fell to the same fate.

Also, according to a Doors documentary, Ray Manzarek claimed Jim Morrison wasn't a huge drug user (aside from lots of alcohol) in the early days. Not positive on that though.

Hell, a point brought up by The Madcap in the pit, Ludwig van Beethoven refused painkillers when he was ill because he didn't want to cloud his mind while composing.

If you ask me, taking drugs only so you can be creative is admitting you have no creativity. Look for inspiration elsewhere, it'll be better in the long run.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Last edited by TheIceCreamMan at Jul 12, 2008,
Quote by TheIceCreamMan
Frank Zappa is the perfect example of why you DON'T need drugs. Listen to his "We're Only in It For The Money" album and you'll see the exact opposite of what everyone here is saying.

Also, Roger Waters and David Gilmour weren't giant drug users, (Mainly because they saw what happened to Syd Barrett.)

And then, everyone talks about how Jimi was so great on the drugs, but in the end, that's what did him in so early in life. Janis Joplin, John Bonham and Bon Scott all fell to the same fate.

Also, according to a Doors documentary, Ray Manzarek claimed Jim Morrison wasn't a huge drug user (aside from lots of alcohol) in the early days. Not positive on that though.

Hell, a point brought up by The Madcap in the pit, Ludwig van Beethoven refused painkillers when he was ill because he didn't want to cloud his mind while composing.

If you ask me, taking drugs only so you can be creative is admitting you have no creativity. Look for inspiration elsewhere, it'll be better in the long run.

wrong bout some stuff, some of the people died from alcohal poison, or chokin after throwing up while passed out from alcohal, jim morrison smokes a lot of weed not as much as some people, but he was a full blown alchohalic and like his lsd quite a bit too

but you dont need the drugs, just either inspiration or just completely clear your mind, then just write first stuff that comes to mind, then add stuff and take stuff out to make it work
Quote by actaderock
try alcohol

A good beer never hurt my playing