Long post ahead...

Alright, so I'll finally be putting my MG halfstack up for sale locally and will have $800 (maybe $900 max if the right deal comes along) to put toward my first tube amp.

Size wise I'm considering around a 30-40 watt combo, considering right niow I'm playing to the walls in my basement, but I will be jamming with some friends this summer and hope to get a band going soon, so this amp needs to be loud enough to be heard over drums and perform at some smallish gigs in the future.

My ideal amp would have the cleans of a Fender Twin, the crunch of a JTM45 and the lead/high gain channel of a Mesa Mark IV or similar so I'm aiming as close as I can for those tones with an $800 budget. I play everything from Portishead to Pink Floyd to Peter Green and Robin Trower to Chevelle, Mastodon, Metallica and System of a Down so versatility is key. I don't play loads of metal so I don't need tons of gain (my OCD can help with pushing the amp anyway). My emphasis is on warm, crisp cleans and a tight blues and classic rock crunch more than a metal/high gain sound.

Some of the amps I'm looking at are the Traynor YCV40 and YCV50 Blue, vintage Traynors (like the YGL), the Blackheart Little Giant and Handsome Devil, the Peavey Classic 30, the Mesa DC-3/F-30, the Kustom Coupe 36, the Crate Palomino V32, among others. The new Bugeras look sweet but I'm thinking that 120 watts is just way too much even with an attenuator. A JCM800 is a maybe, but the price and relative lack of cleans makes me weary of 'em.

So, tube amp gurus of GG&A, I guess I'm asking for a nudge in the right direction with this purchase. I'm determined to not screw this up but I've got so many choices. What amps, new or used, would fit my budget, volume and tone/style requirements?
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2
Traynor YCV 50 Custom blue and a TS808 Tubescreamer...that combo will work for almost anything. Also could go the YCV 40 route...
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
Quote by Dazed/Confused
Traynor YCV 50 Custom blue and a TS808 Tubescreamer...that combo will work for almost anything. Also could go the YCV 40 route...

I've got an OCD already, that and a YCV50 would be pretty sweet.
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

Those Traynors are worth looking at. 40 for the fender cleans, 50 for the marshall OD. I think just considering those two, and your budget rules out a Peavey Classic series. I can't comment on the Mesas you're considering, but I'm sure they make some amps worth checking out. An Ampeg Reverberocket could do the cleans and not quite so high gain things you play, but would require the OCD for heavier music. It's not marshall at all, though. More Fender sounding.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Mesa F-50 is pretty good, I have one. But you could think about getting a fender maybe a hot rod deluxe, cause it has amazing cleans and then get some distortion pedals, like a fuzz box, tubescreamer, or something heavy.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
I'm really starting to like Traynor the more I research them. The YCS50 combo looks pretty amazing as well. It apparently has a American/British switch on the clean channel and a Vintage/Modern switch on the lead that relocates the tone stack and is switchable between 15 and 50 watts. Does anyone have any experience with or own a Traynor YCS?
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

Last edited by floydian07 at Jul 8, 2008,