Just a quick question about the Strats. What makes them stay in tune so well? Is it the tuning pegs, the nut, the trem, or even the neck? I wanna redo my old neck to get it to stay in tune,
THANX
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
if you are using a trem, you might want to get locking tuners
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
WhAT???!?!!! strats stay in tune?
haha thats funny. if they did stay in tune, it would be the tuners and nut and possibly the bridge.

stays in tune my ass
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Sakattack75
Just a quick question about the Strats. What makes them stay in tune so well? Is it the tuning pegs, the nut, the trem, or even the neck? I wanna redo my old neck to get it to stay in tune,
THANX

i don't know that they stay in tune well.........but but a well set up guitar is the key. keeping the strings fresh and proper stringing, the nut and string tree lubed, and the trem well balanced(if it's floating) helps.
Quote by apak
WhAT???!?!!! strats stay in tune?
haha thats funny. if they did stay in tune, it would be the tuners and nut and possibly the bridge.

stays in tune my ass

I'm not a fan of Strats, but they can stay in tune quite well, there was no need to bash a Strat, GTFO this thread ass clown. TS, it is the bridge/nut and tuners it has.
I don't have any trouble keeping my Strat in tune. Worst thing that happens is maybe a few strings drop by maybe an 8th of step or so but considering it floating, gets wammy use, is a MIM, has .10s on it, and doesn't have locking tuners or a locking nut I would say it stays in tune great!
well, what is it about the bridge that makes it stay in tune.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Strats are one of the worse neck designs for staying in tune actually. It doesn't mean they can't, but it isn't a good design to emulate.

The nut and string trees can both cause the string to bind up and usually they don't use particularly spectacular tuners. If you want it to stay in tune, you need a good nut and string trees that aren't going to cause the string to bind. Good tuners will help, they don't necessarily need to be locking tuners, just high quality (all locking tuners do is eliminate the chance of someone wrapping the tuner improperly).

It doesn't mean they can't stay in tune, it just isn't quite a great design for staying in tune.
Quote by Matheau
Strats are one of the worse neck designs for staying in tune actually. It doesn't mean they can't, but it isn't a good design to emulate.

The nut and string trees can both cause the string to bind up and usually they don't use particularly spectacular tuners. If you want it to stay in tune, you need a good nut and string trees that aren't going to cause the string to bind. Good tuners will help, they don't necessarily need to be locking tuners, just high quality (all locking tuners do is eliminate the chance of someone wrapping the tuner improperly).

It doesn't mean they can't stay in tune, it just isn't quite a great design for staying in tune.

well, what makes them so hard to stay in tune? can it be upgraded
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
I dunno, but my MIA Strat stays in tune very well, and it's only 2 weeks old - not broken in or done moving yet.
There's a strat (one of the real ugly ones with the stars for inlays) at my local Long and McQuade that's taken whammy-induced tonal beatings far worse than any FR I've ever seen and it stays perfectly in tune; we took it to a tuner and everything. So there's obviously something redeeming to the bridge design.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
mine`s a mim strat and stays in tune really well but i have never fitted the tremlo arm
While Strats may stay in tune...

...do they really stay in tune any better than any similar quality guitar?
Quote by TheProducer
While Strats may stay in tune...

...do they really stay in tune any better than any similar quality guitar?

well, all i have is a strat neck and i don't want to spend $100 for another neck.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
Quote by Sakattack75
well, all i have is a strat neck and i don't want to spend $100 for another neck.

I don't follow.

I was just saying that I don't think Strats stay in tune any better than any other similar quality guitar.
Quote by TheProducer
I don't follow.

I was just saying that I don't think Strats stay in tune any better than any other similar quality guitar.

sorry. i forgot to quote the other guy.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
You do all know his strat has a floyd. right?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened

From looking at his profile, yes.

But then again, I don't even know what the original question was anymore.
Quote by oneblackened

I did not realize that but ....BINGO

Anyway, the vintage style bridges (for one) on a Strat do seem to hold tune well but i don't know why i see so many people complain. My guess is that they don't know how to adjust their strat from time to time and that is WITHOUT string changes let alone with them. I probably do more damage by switching back and forth from .09s to .10s every string change.
Quote by oneblackened

glad u took the time to check my profile but i got an old body that is still good, so i redid that and i have a neck that i would like to redo so it will stay intune.
but still +1
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
Quote by Sakattack75
glad u took the time to check my profile but i got an old body that is still good, so i redid that and i have a neck that i would like to redo so it will stay intune.
but still +1

I didn't check your profile, I just looked at your sig.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I didn't check your profile, I just looked at your sig.

but still...+1
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
so a bridge and tuning peg change would give me better tuning.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
Last edited by Sakattack75 at Jul 10, 2008,
um....so....maybe?

what bridge? and what do you think is wrong with your tuners?

maybe do bridge first if you don't like your current OFR or whatever. Vintage strat bridges can easily be set up to 'float' a bit if you still want that ability or you can lock it down.

either way - make sure the bridge you chose will fit a strat....duh
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
um....so....maybe?

what bridge? and what do you think is wrong with your tuners?

maybe do bridge first if you don't like your current OFR or whatever. Vintage strat bridges can easily be set up to 'float' a bit if you still want that ability or you can lock it down.

either way - make sure the bridge you chose will fit a strat....duh

ok, i'm not talking about the floyd strat. i'm selling that one. i have an old strat body that i'm redoing and a neck that is pretty cheap. i'm trying to find out how to keep a strat in tune. i know the american strats stay in tune very well. what makes it stay in tune? is it the bridge or the tuning pegs or the nut or what?
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
Quote by Sakattack75
ok, i'm not talking about the floyd strat. i'm selling that one. i have an old strat body that i'm redoing and a neck that is pretty cheap. i'm trying to find out how to keep a strat in tune. i know the american strats stay in tune very well. what makes it stay in tune? is it the bridge or the tuning pegs or the nut or what?

I believe the MIA strats have a bone nut (not the best for trems, but much better than plastic- graphite wins in this category), they have roller string trees, and a modern 2 point tremolo system, and I believe high quality tuners. Fender says the tuners are staggered, which removes the string trees.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
i've put a roller string tree on my mim and it does help alot. i also put a dap of gun oil oil on the nut every couple weeks. mine stays in tune very well. not perfect.....but very well. and i use the trem alot!
i don't do any of that and my MIM stays in pretty good tune

OK Sakattack, i guess the thread was a little confusing.

you may want to check out what people are doing over in Guitar Building and Customizing as well. Good Luck.