Alright well, recently my friend offered me a used Vox AC 15 for $400. He's letting me borrow it for the whole summer to try it out and see if I want to buy it or not.
Honestly, I barely played NEW AC 15's. I only tried new ones at GC like..... less than 5 times? And it was a long time ago so I barely remember how it sounded like specifically.
Okay well anyway; Here's my problem....

My friend said that there is a problem with the amp... But he is not 100% sure. He claims that it's something about the speaker or w/e... Idk.
He said something that if you raise the volume high, it starts getting distorted or something.

I also noticed that one of the four tubes is very dim... It won't light up as bright as the other 3. And this tube is one of the two smaller tubes.

Today I recently asked my friend again about the amp.
He said his speaker is "Broken In."
And It's supposed to cut the ear-piercing treble. So it can make it more "bass-ey"
He said "It takes a while to make the speaker broken in at high volumes. It's a really good thing though"

Okay now; A few questions about my situation here...:
1. Is it okay to have one of the small tubes dim/not as bright? Is there a difference?
2. What is this "Broken In" speaker thing... Does it really cut the ear-piercing treble an ac15 would originally have?
3. Should I get this thing repaired? If so, what kind of repair is it?
4. Is it really a "good thing" to have my speaker "broken in?"
5. Is my friend trying to rip me? Is $400 a good deal for all this?

Thanks alot guys;
I appreciate it!
they're $600 new so 400 is kinda pushing it a bit if you ask me.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Hahaha. It's SUPPOSED to distort as you turn the volume high. That's power tube distortion.

Personally, I'd pass. I'm not a big fan of the AC15's. Not enough headroom for cleans in a band situation, doesn't sound like an AC30. For 400 bucks, I'd get a better amp.

As for dim tubes, the brightness of tubes is in no way a method to determine the functionality of the tube.
What speaker is in the amp? If it's got a big blue bell on it, then it's a no brainer: by the amp. The Celestion Blue (often relabed Vox) is a classic speaker that ups the price of the amp a couple hundred bucks.

Quote by LeeSympathetic
1. Is it okay to have one of the small tubes dim/not as bright? Is there a difference??

The tubes may not light up the same. That's normal. If everything's functioning, don't worry about it.

Quote by LeeSympathetic
2. What is this "Broken In" speaker thing... Does it really cut the ear-piercing treble an ac15 would originally have??

Speakers do need to be broken in. Sounds like he's overstating the benefits a little bit, but it's certainly not a bad thing.

Quote by LeeSympathetic
3. Should I get this thing repaired? If so, what kind of repair is it??

What, exactly, is broken? When you crank a tube amp, it's supposed to get distorted. That's the desired sound. If he doesn't understand that, I wouldn't listen to him too much about the ins and outs of his amp.

Quote by LeeSympathetic
4. Is it really a "good thing" to have my speaker "broken in?"?

See above.

Quote by LeeSympathetic
5. Is my friend trying to rip me? Is $400 a good deal for all this?

If it's in very good to excellent condition, I consider 2/3 the new price of an item to be a fair price. Using that rule of thumb, $400 is fair. If there's really something wrong with it, you need to negotiate that out. If there's a celestion Blue in the thing, you need to buy it and say, "thanks."

In all honesty, I'm also not a huge fan of the amp - especially for the new price in the US. But for $400, you could do a lot worse. You have the summer to decide, so really put it thru it's paces.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i would say leave it cause it sounds like it will need a re-tube. that will add to the price making it close to the new price. ac15 is expensive in america (in comparison to other amps in america). it is a lot better priced in comparison to other amps in australia (where i live). i got mine for new 800aud which in its time was about 600 usd. a valveking 112 on the other hand costs a little less than 1000aud in australia. a classic 30 costs even more. still, in the american market you cant really go that wrong with it.

basically some people believe burn in makes things sound better after they have been played more and the speakers are looser. burn in to me is a mixture of getting used to the sound of the amp and the placebo effect. even if u believe it works, you could burn in a new amp by using it. so meh that doesnt matter.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Jul 8, 2008,
Thanks for the advice guys.
So I'm guess if the speaker is broken in...
I dont need it repaired; and It's not a good or bad thing....

And no; I know what a Celestion Blue is... If I seen it I wouldve paid him by now...
It's the regular VOX Speaker that orignally came with it.

And honestly I think he's pushing the price a bit....
Cause like; The input jack is sortof messed up and shakey and broken
And the back covers missing :lol: