Okay... I am turning 15 in August and I have been playing guitar for about three years, but seriously for about a year and a half. I can play Raining Blood by Slayer (everything but the solo), One by Metallica (everything till half way through the end solo), Opium of the People by Slipknot (whole song), Master of The Puppets by Metallica (whole song), Duncan Hoills Coffee Jingle by Dethklok (whole song), and Bat Country by Avenged Sevenfold (whole song). I can tap and i can sweep over five strings pretty well (but not perfectly). I am pretty bad at improvising but i am working on it and getting better.

I was just wondering if i am at a good point, or am i behind or ahead... thanks.
NEW BTBAM 2009

NEW NECROPHAGIST 2009

NEW NILE 2009

NEW BEHEMOTH 2009

Have Xbox Live?
Gamer Tag: BehemothCm
Learn to improvise and play your own music then come back and ask. Musicians should be musicians, not CD players.
Quote by rock_and_blues
Learn to improvise and play your own music then come back and ask. Musicians should be musicians, not CD players.

+1

The question to ask is would you rather be a songwriter or a guitar player for hire?
okay, that what i am working on.... any other suggestions?
NEW BTBAM 2009

NEW NECROPHAGIST 2009

NEW NILE 2009

NEW BEHEMOTH 2009

Have Xbox Live?
Quote by rock_and_blues

QFT.
But you should be able to play One with no problem, and the solo to raining blood is easy, it's just a bunch of whammy bar squeals.
Quote by dmc_74_usa
+1

The question to ask is would you rather be a songwriter or a guitar player for hire?

a songwriter...
NEW BTBAM 2009

NEW NECROPHAGIST 2009

NEW NILE 2009

NEW BEHEMOTH 2009

Have Xbox Live?
Quote by rock_and_blues

totaly and if ur ganna strut and say ur good or say ur good by saying u can play good songs but u should have video proof

IF I DONT SEE IT, UR A LIER
Quote by maniac111
QFT.
But you should be able to play One with no problem, and the solo to raining blood is easy, it's just a bunch of whammy bar squeals.

i dont have a guiatar that can do that
NEW BTBAM 2009

NEW NECROPHAGIST 2009

NEW NILE 2009

NEW BEHEMOTH 2009

Have Xbox Live?
Quote by freakypop
totaly and if ur ganna strut and say ur good or say ur good by saying u can play good songs but u should have video proof

I wanna punch this poster in the face for some reason.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
Quote by outlaw767676
a songwriter...

Then exactly as I said. Start writing your own riffs, learn music theory, a couple of scales/modes, how to improvise and just work your way from there. I know maybe 10 songs all the way through but I can jam on anything and come up with riffs instantly.
Quote by outlaw767676
i dont have a guiatar that can do that

Well then you can play the solo, you just don't have the equipment for it.

I would work more on songwriting and improvisation than playing ability though. Like rock and blues said, you're a musician, not a cd player.
Quote by freakypop

um...ok? what is he gaining from lying to an internet forum of strangers?
Quote by freakypop

I am not trying to ****ING strut i was just wondering how my playing ability is. i justy want a strait answerr and if you dont believe me i could really care less
NEW BTBAM 2009

NEW NECROPHAGIST 2009

NEW NILE 2009

NEW BEHEMOTH 2009

Have Xbox Live?
It doesn't matter what you play that other people wrote.
Sure it helps your skills grow but the theory behind it is what realy matters.
Write some of youre own stuff then post it if you think its good enough then ask.
And not all good playing involes insane solos.
The good times are killing me.

Quote by UG TinyChat
meelad: I know this guy "entity0009" and "mike50227"
meelad: They're the best people there

Above Divine
I ****ing suck but I've got the best improv of anyone I know.

EDIT: The point was that it makes people like my playing. So learn improv.
Last edited by synpet713192 at Jul 8, 2008,
thanks for the advice.
NEW BTBAM 2009

NEW NECROPHAGIST 2009

NEW NILE 2009

NEW BEHEMOTH 2009

Have Xbox Live?
Quote by rock_and_blues

/thread

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by rock_and_blues

+1
Quote by outlaw767676
i could really care less

Why does everyone use this expression? This implies that you do indeed care, seeing as how if you didn't care you could NOT care less.

WTF america!?
I agree with everybody that said to learn improvisation and music theory, because it's almost impossible to write a good song without that knowledge. And by the way, do you have any videos or anything of you playing? I would really like to hear it.
Broaden your musical world outside of metal. I know it's very difficult for some but I'm sure you could do it. If you want technical proficiency without the metal, I suggest Frank Zappa. Get into smooth Jazz with George Benson and Brian Hughes perhaps, that will definitely open your ears up to improv. Listen to the abstract such as Behold... The Arctopus for example or Nels Cline.

Give different genres a try and your playing abilities will soar. That's my two cents.
Quote by outlaw767676
Duncan Hoills Coffee Jingle by Dethklok (whole song)

That's awesome, and you're doing great just start improvising a bit over tracks, and eventually start writing your own stuff.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Quote by rock_and_blues

You're dissing a big part of the classical music players, and people like Frank Sinatra.
Though I agree that he should learn to improvise.

My advise:
It sounds like you're good. If what you claim to play sounds good, you're good.

My advice: Put some videos in youtube and wait for the ratings. If you get scores bigger than 4/5 from people expecting to see Kirk Hammet shredding, then you're good.
Actually, I was able to track my progress using youtube. I started getting 2/5 ratings, and ended up with 4/5 now.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by freakypop

Do the world a favor and go die in a fire.
Quote by magicninja_
Then you need to learn Music Theory and how to apply it.

this is really off topic but your aviator had me fooled... i was wipeing my screen for a good 10 seconds untill i realised the thing wanst real
look for the book monster scales and modes online that has a **** load of scales and it aslo tells you what notes are in each key and what chords to use for each scales.
You should make up your own stuff. Also, find some more bands that are actually metal (bands that aren't just trying to be br00tal for the hardcore kiddies), if that's what you are into. Other stuff besides just metal is good too.

Quote by outlaw767676
Opium of the People by Slipknot

I can play any Slipknot song. They are all open one X100. And they might play some lame riff around the 13th fret, because it is one octave up from the 1st fret, which they love. And in the rare case of a solo, just play random notes as fast as you can.

Sorry, I can't resist bashing Slipknot.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Jul 8, 2008,
Quote by outlaw767676
I am not trying to ****ING strut i was just wondering how my playing ability is. i justy want a strait answerr and if you dont believe me i could really care less

Couldn't care less, not could care less. For fuck sake.

has no signature.
We cant judge you from what you have said, we have to hear you play the songs

Proud member of the Stratocaster Lover's Group
how can you play the solo in bat country and not the one solo? i cant play bat country but i can play One easily
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Quote by AlucardZero
I wanna punch this poster in the face for some reason.

Sounds like someones having their period!

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
Quote by Crazymike100
Sounds like someones having their period!

EDIT: OH, ****!! I dodn't mean you, I meant the other guy, with the big red letters, sorry...
Quote by freakypop

I sense from your misguided, illegible ramblings that you are missing the point.

What people are saying is that most people can practice, and play along with other people. You sound like you are close to mastering some advanced techniques. Learn the basic pentatonic boxes, and work on improvising over your favourite bands CDs. When you have that nailed, Im sure the riffs will start to come easy.
Quote by frusciante_50
I sense from your misguided, illegible ramblings that you are missing the point.

What people are saying is that most people can practice, and play along with other people. You sound like you are close to mastering some advanced techniques. Learn the basic pentatonic boxes, and work on improvising over your favourite bands CDs. When you have that nailed, Im sure the riffs will start to come easy.

What this guy says ^
Quote by outlaw767676

No one here will be able to judge your abilities until you post a video, but simply asking the question (and the provided list) would almost convince me that you are bad.
thanks for the advise once again...

i really can't post video's because i have no clue how to .

and the question about the bat country solo is that i have been practicing that for a long time and i have only practiced one for about a week and a half...

i will try and get into really metal bands. It's not that i don't listen to them, its that i can't play my favorite, children of bodom. are there any suggestions for metal bands?

i will also try and get into blues.
NEW BTBAM 2009

NEW NECROPHAGIST 2009

NEW NILE 2009

NEW BEHEMOTH 2009

Have Xbox Live?