Poll: Should I get a Peavey Classic 30?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I get a Peavey Classic 30?
Yes
12 86%
No
2 14%
Voters: 14.
I've sort of come to a conclusion today about what amp I'm getting for my birthday. Many of you guys have been very helpful, and I appreciate all you've done.

One more question, and I'm posting a poll with this one.

Should I go for the Peavey Classic 30?

I play Classic Rock, Blues, Metal (AC/DC, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, and maybe some modern stuff) and I'm really thinking about getting into Jazz.
I need the capability to play gigs with this amp. I know that the amp will not have quite enough distortion for modern metal, but I am willing to purchase an overdrive pedal of some kind in the near future.
Thanks in advance for any input!

I am planning on buying used.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
i really like my Traynor more than i like the classic 30
and you can get one used for 450-500
i think it sounds much much better and will do what you want
I want Super Saiyan abilities
Dude, I say go for it. An excellent amp. You should also look at boss distortion pedals. They're indestructable and affordable. Check out the Keeley modded DS-1 Ultra.
Quote by guitarladtwo.oh
Dude, I say go for it. An excellent amp. You should also look at boss distortion pedals. They're indestructable and affordable. Check out the Keeley modded DS-1 Ultra.

have i heard somewhere that using distortion pedals with tube amps kills your tone? and that is why people use overdrive? or am i making this up.
Quote by tona_107
have i heard somewhere that using distortion pedals with tube amps kills your tone? and that is why people use overdrive? or am i making this up.

No.. I kinda agree there. Overdrive simply boosts your amp, and adds only a tiny bit of it's own character, where as Distortion ruins the character of your amp, and creates it's own sound. (at least that's what I think.)

Think of it as active vs. passive pickups.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Quote by Chance125
No.. I kinda agree there. Overdrive simply boosts your amp, and adds only a tiny bit of it's own character, where as Distortion ruins the character of your amp, and creates it's own sound. (at least that's what I think.)

Think of it as active vs. passive pickups.

thanks i didn't want to just come out and say it cause i have no experience with either and i didn't want to look like a douche.
Haha. Well I'm sort of a pedal n00b as well.

Umm.. Anyone else have an opinion on what I should do?
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

I say go for it.

As for an overdrive pedal to go with it, I have nothing but good things to say about the Digitech Bad Monkey. (Don't let your Grunge Distortion fool you - Digitech did a lovely job with this one.) It works well with my Classic 30. The idea of bass and treble controls was a fantastic addition to the pedal.
its a great amp and can do almost anything. i would buy a set of JJ "normal clean channel/high gain lead channel" tubes. you still have he great cleans and overdrive, but you can push the overdrive a good bit further. if you want an overdrive, an ibanez tubescreamer or bbe green screamer will work very well. if you spend some time with the amp, you will find it can do a lot more than you think without any effects.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
So it looks like everyone agrees here! I am glad, because I can try out the Classic 30 either today or tomorrow. They have one at my local music shop, but of course, I'm not going to buy from there, because their prices are downright outrageous. Classic 30 ftw?

And thanks for the advice about the Bad Monkey. I'll try it out.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Last edited by Chance125 at Jul 8, 2008,
bump.... Anyone else have an opinion?

PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby