I know there are probably tonees of these threads daily but I really need to see where I stand, even though I realize everybody learns at a different rate.

Anyway, i have been playing for about year and a half and I can play One-Metallica (whole song, I know not amazing) Welcome Home-Coheed and Cambria (whole song) Phantom of the Opera-Iron Maiden (Whole song) Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden( all song except on part of the solo) and I guess that's as hard as the songs get for me, also the solos need work in all those songs but there not horrible, just a smidge sloppy. Anyway I havent learned how to sweep very much I havent had much of a use for it but i can do it, my improvisation sucks and i know I need work on it, but need tips, anyway I know im probably not great for the length of time I've been playing but I just want to see just so I can get a better idea.
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
If you could play those songs 100% clean along with the song, than i'd say you're on a pretty good track. They're not incredibly hard, but by no means easy either. I'd say it's a good time to start working on your improvisational skills. What scales have you been boning up on? Minor pentatonic?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by stinger12345
If you could play those songs 100% clean along with the song, than i'd say you're on a pretty good track. They're not incredibly hard, but by no means easy either. I'd say it's a good time to start working on your improvisational skills. What scales have you been boning up on? Minor pentatonic?

Pentatonic, dorian, aeolian, phrygian, locrian, mixolydian
http://www.myguitarsolo.com/sc_box.htm
all memorized and some other scales
Quote by andy_thomas
Quote by XianXiuHong
Why don't you post a video? Words don't do anything to show your true ability.

I would love too but im sad to say i do not have a recording device ie. camera and/or webcam
Quote by andy_thomas
Quote by Imalius

Well in that case, you are well on your way. Did you really need us to tell you that? Or were you just looking for a pat on the back lol
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by stinger12345
Well in that case, you are well on your way. Did you really need us to tell you that? Or were you just looking for a pat on the back lol

no I actually really wanted to see where i stand no pat on the back, I honestly couldn't care less if you said i was the slowest learning player ever or I was on my way to be the next Steve Vai, really there would have been the same reaction from me i'm just trying to figure out where i stand skill wise is all, not saying look at what i can do!
Quote by andy_thomas
Quote by ledzeppelin535
Do you actually know all those scales in each key around the whole fretboard, or do you just know those 6 box shapes?

sadly the just that, but i can figure it out pretty easily on my own from there just haven't taken the time to figure them out, and I realize how much it would help if i do I am just way to busy ATM to do it and will be for the next 2 weeks so after that ill spend time learning all of that.
Quote by andy_thomas
all you young whipper snappers(shakes cane at moniter) think your purty slick learnin all this stuff in one year, why when i was a kid it took 12 months just learn to barre chord. and we learned out in middle of a blinding blizzard, neekid cept for our skivvies, while the enemy fired morter rounds at us day and nite.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by mig-29
all you young whipper snappers(shakes cane at moniter) think your purty slick learnin all this stuff in one year, why when i was a kid it took 12 months just learn to barre chord. and we learned out in middle of a blinding blizzard, neekid cept for our skivvies, while the enemy fired morter rounds at us day and nite.

very nice
Quote by andy_thomas
Quote by Imalius

That's an awesome reference, just what I needed in fact

I love how theory can just fall into your lap
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
Quote by Imalius
I know there are probably tonees of these threads daily .

Not tons, but its been done...

The thing is saying what you can do is completely & totally different than actually
hearing you do it. Definitions of "playing" and "knowing" are totally yours. Anyone
trying to give you a "how am I doing?" rating based on only what you say is most
likely completely unreliable. So, why bother asking? And, it makes absolutely no
difference to anything anyway.
Quote by Liberchaotica
That's an awesome reference, just what I needed in fact

I love how theory can just fall into your lap

Yes, it's a great site!
Quote by andy_thomas
The best judge is yourself, if you like the result of what you are playing, then good. If you seems like something (technique, lick, improv) is sloppy or just doesn't click, then improve on that.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS