Hey guys i've got a esp alexi-600 with an emg HZ in it. I am interested in having a sound similar to john petrucci on his album suspended animation(like that kind of bright sound) But i'm not sure what i should do. Could an emg-81 or a blackout do the trick? Let me know what you guys think.
I wouldn't go with an active pup for petrucci, look at DiMarzio's. And what amp do you have now, and what don't you like about your tone now?
i dont know it just sounds plain it feels like can do so much more but i cant get the sound i want. Right now i have a crappy fender G-dec that i can never seem to get the sound i want from so i leave it on acoustec and use a crappy digitech pedal.
by acoustic, i think you mean clean. i suggest getting a nicer amp and tweaking the EQ until you get it right. if you still cant get it, look into Dimarzio or other SD pups. EMG's and Blackouts are, dare i say, too metal for a goo Petrucci sound.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
ya, you don't want to waste some money on pups with that amp, let alone an active. And every one else is going to tell you to save for a new amp. Cause it's not letting your guitar shine.
thanks alot man ive been lookin into the marshall hdfx like the cheap model for some time and i think that would be the next step for me i didnt know because i heard some of the things you can do with those black outs and it sounded pretty sick clean with a little distortion
As a disclaimer, I'm not even the slightest fan of JP, and I've never ever wanted to listen to a single DT album. So I'm not aware of his exact gear.

All I know is that he uses the DiMarzio D Sonic, go check out the DiMarzio website, it still has his picture when you click on the D Sonic pickup, so maybe you could consider that. You might want to check with the other DT or JP fans whether this was the pup he used on Suspended Animation.

I've got the D Sonic installed on my Ibanez RG, and it hardly sounds bright... it sounds fat, not bright. Still, it does wonders when you've got really tight distortion going. Its a pretty good pup when there's distortion and effects going on. For cleans, the sound is too fat for a nice clean tone IMO. If you want JP's sound, maybe the D Sonic is worth considering, if you want a bright sound, I'd recommend something else. I'm about to swap out the D Sonic for an X2N.

Oh yeah, upgrade your amp first.
Quote by slash2223456
thanks alot man ive been lookin into the marshall hdfx like the cheap model for some time and i think that would be the next step for me

that won't be a step up...
look at some of gfs or artec rails pickups, but as everyone else said you cant go wrong with some good seymour or dimarzio pickups. for SD id recommend a custom five or screamin demon, and for dimarzio (petruccis pickups) d-sonic or steves special for bridge and an air norton in the neck.
A neck pickup would help achieve that smooth lead sound..

A tone like the one in Glasgow Kiss I can achieve with my Breed Neck.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
You need thousands and thousands of dollars worth of crazy rack gear in order to sound like JP

Get a new amp before doing anything else... Peavey Valve King? Sound good to everyone?
Quote by chrismasinjuly
dimarzio (petruccis pickups) d-sonic or steves special for bridge and an air norton in the neck.

+1
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain