I don't know if many violinists are out there but I'm looking for some help. I want to take up Violin again since its been 6 or more years since I've played and last owned a violin. So I am looking for a decent student grade violin to pick up. I really don't know whats a good quality violin as far as brands go or anything of that nature. At the time I was playing Violin I was much younger and my parents took care of my musical needs as far as instruments, bows, strings and various accessories went. I'm contemplating picking this up from Rondo's. I've owned an Agile, SX and Douglas so I know they sell decent to great guitars but I don't know anything as far as violins are concerned. So any recommendation or pointers on what to look out for are much appreciated.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
I played viola for a year before my parents made me quit. that thing will probably suck. Most classical instruments cost ALOT, so you'll have to pay alot for an entry level violin, compared to entry level guitar. Alot of places offer monthly payments, that's what I did when I played viola.
I have one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Doreli-Model-59-Violin-Outfit?sku=470290

It works fine but I'm not too serious with violin because i don't have a teacher. I want to learn though.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by guylee
get a bassoon, pansy.

My lungs would collapse so yep I'm a pansy .

Quote by doggy_hat
I played viola for a year before my parents made me quit. that thing will probably suck. Most classical instruments cost ALOT, so you'll have to pay alot for an entry level violin, compared to entry level guitar. Alot of places offer monthly payments, that's what I did when I played viola.

I wouldn't mind paying a lot if I can find something decent that will last me. I don't plan to get crazy serious into the Violin anytime soon I just want something to put me back into the groove of things since its been so long. Why'd your parents put a stop to viola by the way?

Quote by metal4all
I have one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Doreli-Model-59-Violin-Outfit?sku=470290

It works fine but I'm not too serious with violin because i don't have a teacher. I want to learn though.

The reviews on that model scare me honestly. But if it holds up well for you I figure its worth looking into. I have to look through alot of violins as it is anyway.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

It's really cheap but it works just fine. I guess it's good for a straight beginner but I'm sure you'd like something that could be appreciated (being more serious with it).
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I figure if budget allows I'll pick up two or three of them to see what I like the best and return the one or two that I think won't hold up. As of right now from just random browsing around I am looking at these three:

http://www.rondomusic.com/v400.html
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...tfit?sku=470290
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palatino-VN450-14-Size-Violin-with-Case-Bow?sku=466503
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Quote by OsirisProtocol
My lungs would collapse so yep I'm a pansy .

I wouldn't mind paying a lot if I can find something decent that will last me. I don't plan to get crazy serious into the Violin anytime soon I just want something to put me back into the groove of things since its been so long. Why'd your parents put a stop to viola by the way?

They're places where you can make monthly payments, untill you own the violin, and if you decide to quit, then you can just stop making payments. I think it's called rent to own. That's what I did. So you don't have to worry about investing a large sum of money and deciding you aren't serious enough with it. From what every music teacher has told me and personal experience, cheeping out on classical instruments is generally a bad idea.

Oh, and I quit viola because My parents didn't want to pay the $15 a month, because is was way to much. I was so sad, and my viola instructor would call my parents everynow and then to ask them to let me start up viola again, but they would never let me.
Quote by doggy_hat
They're places where you can make monthly payments, untill you own the violin, and if you decide to quit, then you can just stop making payments. I think it's called rent to own. That's what I did. So you don't have to worry about investing a large sum of money and deciding you aren't serious enough with it. From what every music teacher has told me and personal experience, cheeping out on classical instruments is generally a bad idea.

Oh, and I quit viola because My parents didn't want to pay the $15 a month, because is was way to much. I was so sad, and my viola instructor would call my parents everynow and then to ask them to let me start up viola again, but they would never let me.

My problem isn't being serious with it or not. I'm sticking with it just like everything else I have had interest in playing. I stopped playing because my family went through some financial issues when I was younger and the violin had to go. Now I'm working and in college so I'll fund my own this time around. I'll look for a shop that does rent to own in my area but most of the music stores in my area are horrid when it comes to people and gear. Worth a shot at least. Best of luck to you and getting back into playing though. Viola is such a wonderful instrument.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

you noob why dont you just play with your PRS...surely a guitar like that can occupy you enough...
VOX AD50 VT+crappy "Fender" from COSTCO!=ok tone!
I need a new guitar
Quote by Ka$h
you noob why dont you just play with your PRS...surely a guitar like that can occupy you enough...

Best response ever!
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Dude, I wouldn't use that violin to wipe my arse.

Get a teacher, get down to a violin shop with them, and find one that wasn't made by 9 year olds in Thailand that you have to pay for out of your change-purse.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Unfortunately, it is absolutely necessary to try a violin before you buy it - even more so than it is necessary to trial guitars, as even cheap factory violins are not produced in anything like the volume that guitars are.

generally you don't want to go with new, branded violins. It's much more advisable to either commission one from a reputable maker or look into the used market, and I advise the latter.

My sister paid about £400 for hers from a local independent dealer, and got a great violin for the money. But that was just luck, I tried a few £2000+ violins from the same guy which were nowhere near as good.

So for a student violin that you won't hate playing, you want to think in that price range. And consider yourself lucky if you get a nice one for less than a grand.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
...and thanks to John for saying what I was trying to say, politely and innoffensively.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
...and thanks to John for saying what I was trying to say, politely and innoffensively.

Don't mention it, just the sight of violins like that gives me a headache. Reminds me, I should really get mine up on my gear pics . . . oh well . . .

Theres my token monthly 'useful post' out of the way, back to the hard slog of mild trolling and spam.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
Quote by shoolocomous
Don't mention it, just the sight of violins like that gives me a headache. Reminds me, I should really get mine up on my gear pics . . . oh well . . .

Theres my token monthly 'useful post' out of the way, back to the hard slog of mild trolling and spam.

Gives me a headache too.

But anything would be better than if he got a blue violin.

Don't even get me started.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by shoolocomous
Unfortunately, it is absolutely necessary to try a violin before you buy it - even more so than it is necessary to trial guitars, as even cheap factory violins are not produced in anything like the volume that guitars are.

generally you don't want to go with new, branded violins. It's much more advisable to either commission one from a reputable maker or look into the used market, and I advise the latter.

My sister paid about £400 for hers from a local independent dealer, and got a great violin for the money. But that was just luck, I tried a few £2000+ violins from the same guy which were nowhere near as good.

So for a student violin that you won't hate playing, you want to think in that price range. And consider yourself lucky if you get a nice one for less than a grand.

If I can find a shop that stocks a decent amount of violins for me check out then I wouldn't mind really. All the music stores that I know of in my area sucks. I spent the better part of this morning making calls looking for classical instrument stores and came up with 1 in the city so far and one way up state. I'll check out the one in the city first to see if I can find anything I like there if not it looks like I need to take a road trip.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Not a problem mate . I'm the same way with a lot of music gear and I am at a lose when it comes to violin so I don't mind.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem