Short story: I can play pretty well (the tabs I have under my favs are some of the ones that I'm proficient at) and I can sing pretty well. However, I can't seem to do both at the same time.

My coordination just gets all screwy and either my playing starts to follow the syllables of what I'm singing or my voice just loses direction.

Right now the only thing I can sing and play at the same time is "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz, which is VERY simple since the strumming is almost on the beat, and I still screw it up sometimes.

I know practice makes perfect, but I don't even know where to start. How do you guys do it? What should I practice? Any suggestions on drills that I can do to improve?

Any Input appreciated. Thanks.
Just keep trying, and practice on easy songs like Sunshine of Your Love, Iron Man, N.I.B...
songs where the guitar matches the voice.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
1. Learn song until it's second nature
2. Added vocals
3. Use search bar
||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
I agree with noscottno711, practice the song until you don't even hav eto think about actually playing it while you're playing. Get it down so its like second nature, you don't even think about it at all, about the order of things, chords, etc. Then start singing, parts at a time.
Quote by No_Skillz
Short story: I can play pretty well (the tabs I have under my favs are some of the ones that I'm proficient at) and I can sing pretty well. However, I can't seem to do both at the same time.

My coordination just gets all screwy and either my playing starts to follow the syllables of what I'm singing or my voice just loses direction.

Right now the only thing I can sing and play at the same time is "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz, which is VERY simple since the strumming is almost on the beat, and I still screw it up sometimes.

I know practice makes perfect, but I don't even know where to start. How do you guys do it? What should I practice? Any suggestions on drills that I can do to improve?

Any Input appreciated. Thanks.

i have the same problem but for now i just keep to playing guitar and getting better at it before moving on to vocals. but like the guy above me said, stick to songs that have vocals that follow the guitar.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Lol...I played guitar for a long time before trying to sing along. I was pretty handy on the guitar but singing would throw me off big time. Now I can pretty much sing and play anything right off. There are some that are pretty complex and still require me to practice for a bit and others I still can't get. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is one I have trouble singing along to but I've been able to play it decently for years. Though it has been a while since I've tried to sing along to it.

Just keep trying. Work one song get it right then go on to the next and get that one down. To begin with stick with songs that you know very very well and already sing to when they are playing on your stereo.

You could also try struming the chords once on the changes while working on the singing part then bring back the rest of the rhythm bit by bit.

EDIT: thanks for posting if you hadn't I wouldn't have just played Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and tried singing along. Finally I can get the bones of it!! with a little practice I think I'll finally get this down!!
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jul 8, 2008,