Both guitars play notes that sound good together. Its pretty simple. Goes by intervals. octaves, fifths, and so on.
very simply put for a basic.. play the powerchords the same as the other guitar, but add 12 to whatever the original is... that's the fret to get a basic octave harmonization..

Example, the powerchord is on 5th fret.. then to harmonize, play the 17th fret powerchord..

OCTAVE.. woot
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
you figure out what key the song is it, take the original note, and find the diatonic third, or the fifth, or whatever note you want from the scale.
bands these days ussually use the thirds and fifths cause they choose the easy way out.
but if you harmonize with different intervals everytime, you get a totally different melody, which is AWSOME.
a good example of that if the intro of the song "not alone" by "all that remains".
usually done in 3rds/4ths/5ths/octaves.

you have an A minor scale.. he first note is an A... the 3rd not in the scale is a C... play them both together, you have 3rd harmonization.

www.soundclick.com/kyleharper

i have alot of harmonization in my tunes, its mostly 80s metal based, haha.
Or you could do something more advanced and play inverted riffs. Like normal harmonization except the second guitar plays the opposite interval.

For example: You go up a 3rd then up a 3rd again in your riff. He goes down a 3rd, then down a 3rd again.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
very simply put for a basic.. play the powerchords the same as the other guitar, but add 12 to whatever the original is... that's the fret to get a basic octave harmonization..

Example, the powerchord is on 5th fret.. then to harmonize, play the 17th fret powerchord..

OCTAVE.. woot

That's not true harmonization, that's just playing two notes in different octaves.

It depends what key you're in TS, let's say your in D Major

The notes in D Major are...

D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D

Let's say you're playing the root note of D-Major, which is D

If you wanted to harmonize D with another note, you'd use the intervals in the scale 3, 5 or 7.

It's basically like forming a chord.
Last edited by XianXiuHong at Jul 8, 2008,
I don't understand,what are 3rds,4ths,5ths?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
I don't understand,what are 3rds,4ths,5ths?

if you play a note on the 5 th fret its 3rd is 3 frets higher its 4th 4 frets higher etc
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by mrbungle50221
if you play a note on the 5 th fret its 3rd is 3 frets higher its 4th 4 frets higher etc

They're scale degrees, referring to the function those notes perform within the major scale - it's got absolutely nothing to do with their physical position.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

They're scale degrees, referring to the function those notes perform within the major scale - it's got absolutely nothing to do with their physical position.

really? because i iv got a total guitar magazine with a guide on harmonizing and that is what it said they were? hmmmm stupid total guitar
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by mrbungle50221
really? because i iv got a total guitar magazine with a guide on harmonizing and that is what it said they were? hmmmm stupid total guitar

Guitar magazines are made of paper - they have no brain and no morals, therefore they're prone to stupidity and also telling lies

The major scale is has the pattern of intervals WWHWWWH where W is a whole step (two semitones, therefore 2 frets) and H is a half step (one semitone therefore...). So, for C major we get...

Our root note C, so following on from C with that pattern of intervals we get.

W--W--H-W--W--W--H-

C  D  E F  G  A  B (C)

1  2  3 4  5  6  7  <-----scale degree

To harmonize in, for example, 3rds you'd move up the scale playing the note the equivalent number of steps up as you go, so when playing the root C you'd play E, the 3rd note of the scale, at the same time. When you play D you'd harmonize with F because it's the same number of scale degrees between them, E with G etc. You'll notice that the physical space between harmonized notes isn't constant, it moves between a major third and a minor third.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you don't understand the 3rds, 5ths and such do like I did as a kid and listen to some thin lizzy and learn both parts and you will start to see how you play 2 guitars harmony. The cowboy song chorus is a good start. I think you can get the tabs in the tab section.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by mrbungle50221

I know Total Guitar is basically the "Hello" of the guitar magazine world but i don't think even they're that stupid, I think you misunderstood what they were saying...

Try this article: http://www.guitarconsultant.com/harmonize.html
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Seagull, thank you for an excellent response.

Here's an even more basic question: How do you figure out what key a song is in?
Quote by Arkinazz
Seagull, thank you for an excellent response.

Here's an even more basic question: How do you figure out what key a song is in?

You need to figure out which chords it uses and such, and also, you need to study up on basic chord progressions.

The key of A-Minor (Relative minor of C-Major, so there are no sharps or flats.) USUALLY uses chord V and reverts back to chord I and possibly III and V again.

So that would be...

E, A, C, E
I think it's time for you to learn theory. Your other guitarist, too.
Quote by Albert Einstein
Nuh-uh. Nuh-uh. NUH-UH. NOPE. NO! NOPE! WRONG! NO! UR AN IDIOT! STFU! GTFO!

Quote by genghisgandhi
Eyebrows has no Whoopi Goldberg, for never is she surprised?

Quote by steven seagull
Guitar magazines are made of paper - they have no brain and no morals, therefore they're prone to stupidity and also telling lies

The major scale is has the pattern of intervals WWHWWWH where W is a whole step (two semitones, therefore 2 frets) and H is a half step (one semitone therefore...). So, for C major we get...

Our root note C, so following on from C with that pattern of intervals we get.

W--W--H-W--W--W--H-

C D E F G A B (C)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 <-----scale degree

To harmonize in, for example, 3rds you'd move up the scale playing the note the equivalent number of steps up as you go, so when playing the root C you'd play E, the 3rd note of the scale, at the same time. When you play D you'd harmonize with F because it's the same number of scale degrees between them, E with G etc. You'll notice that the physical space between harmonized notes isn't constant, it moves between a major third and a minor third.

mm ok i understand now!
Quote by SlayedInTheFace