I recently switched out the stock 490R/490T set in my Gibson SG for a Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB set. They sound very nice, but after having them put in, the volume knobs for both pickups feel less responsive...

With the old set, I used to back the volume on the neck pickup down to about 1 or 1.5 to clean up the distortion for an almost-clean kind of tone. Now, nothing happens until I get to about 1, then it just kind of suddenly engages at what sounds like what 5 used to be with the old set.

Do I need new pots? Is this just a side-effect of putting hotter pickups in my guitar? Did the tech who installed them screw something up?
My guitar's done that since I bought it, does nothing until 1 when it then goes silent.

Oh well.

Edit: Just realized that didn't help you whatsoever.

Oh well, someone else should help you : )
I will more than likely never return to any thread I post in, so don't bother replying to me.
I could be completely wrong here, im simply guessing, but maybe you need new/different potentiometers?
the stock 500k pots do have a restriction on how much power that your pickups can deliver to the amp. Try 1megs I find they really open up to use the pickups full or well almost it's full capacity depending on the strength and output. I'm using High output DiMarzio's and I'm guessing your JB set would have about the same output. Give 'em a try. *one thing, they get a tad harsher and a bit harder to control but overall, it removes the need of an overdrive pedal pushing the dirty channel and all the extra feedback that comes along by doing so*
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
similar problem here. after changing to my new pups my sound doesn't clean up as i roll down the volume knob until i reach almost 1-2.
my pots are both 500K, same as those mounted in jem7vwh's.
assuming vai uses the same jem models, he's able to clean up the sound by rolling down the knob.
i can't see why i can't.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
bump!
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by forsaknazrael
Did your guys techs use the right tapers?
I always use Logarithmic/Audio taper pots for volume.

volume's 500Kohm B
tone's 500Kohm A
the soldering is done on the letters but that's all i can make of it (if not mistaken).
you mean
volume A
tone B?
bump!
As someone mentioned previously in this thread, 1meg pots might help your situation but keep in mind that it's gonna sound different.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
then why in the first place did they install volume-B tone-A for the stock pickups?