I've got a beginners practise amp and a Vintage VS6 guitar. I can play okay but I only just noticed the difference between a good guitar and a good amp and what I've got. I played an expensive Dean in a guitar shop on a decent amp and it sounded about a billion times better. Should I seriously look into buying new gear?
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
Yes. If you're serious about playing, and have outgrown your starter kit, then go for it and buy some new gear. Hell, I've been playing about 4 months and am getting a new amp, and maybe a new guitar, cos I don't like what I have.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
You don't want to bury technique with tone. But getting a new guitar/amp (thought amp would be the smart thing to get first) can motivate you to become better, go for it if you think it will help. When I got my Getson 700 special (silver trumpet), I quickly climbed to the top of the ranks in band.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
If you can sound awesome on crappy gear, imagine how good you'll sound on something good. Perhaps a better guitar would help you develop, as better playability on a better guitar can be less fustrating to learn on.

I've been playing a little over 4 years now and only a couple months ago did i get a nice 100w randall setup, before that i was on a 40w acoustic amp with the worst distortion ever and had been playing for nearly 2 years before i get my own electic (a dean ) and an acoustic guitar that didnt feature strings that were 3' off the fretboard, the result is i have strong-ass fingers
God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed.
and yes! i agree too that you should at sometime consider of getting new equipment. I have been playing for 5 years with my cheap Squier on a 10watt practice laney and these days I completely went for something new and now i'm waiting for my fender hot rod vintage strat!
Yeah mines 15w, I think it's the amp that really needs changing, the guitar is okayish. Thanks for the advice people, I think it's about time, it's been like 4 years of heavy practise.
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.