hey guys,

ive been looking into getting a few pickups for a strat

I was thinking of

EMG-SA, Seymour Duncan SD-1 cool rail and Seymour Duncan SHR - Screaming Demon

Id put the EMG SA in the neck and the SHR in the bridge with the SD-1 in the middle.

im hoping to get a really smooth tone through the combo of the emg sa and sd-1 and then switch to a combo of the screaming demon and sd-1 when the distortion kicks in.

let me know what you think

Matt
i dunno. i dont like EMG singles. id prefer a little 59 in the neck of that combo.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by grogsi
hey guys,

ive been looking into getting a few pickups for a strat

I was thinking of

EMG-SA, Seymour Duncan SD-1 cool rail and Seymour Duncan SHR - Screaming Demon

Id put the EMG SA in the neck and the SHR in the bridge with the SD-1 in the middle.

im hoping to get a really smooth tone through the combo of the emg sa and sd-1 and then switch to a combo of the screaming demon and sd-1 when the distortion kicks in.

let me know what you think

Matt

I'm not quite sure what it is you've been thinking, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen the way you think it will by installing those pickups.

Don't bother with any actives, there's not really any way of wiring them together with passives on a strat. As far as "screaming distortion" goes that's what your bridge pickup is for...using middle and bridge isn't going to give you more output or more distoriton, it doesn't work that way. You actually get less output and a thinner tone due to hum cancelling. Likewise your "smoothest" tone will come from the neck pickup alone.

If you want to really beef things up then maybe put a Lil JB in the bridge with two little 59's in neck and middle, although you won't sound particularly strattty with that setup. I don't know an awful lot about Duncan's true singles, but as far as Dimarzios go you could go something like a Super Distortion S or Fast track in the bridge, Blue Velvet in the middle and an Air Norton S or Pro Track in the neck if you want a fair bit of power.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
hey mark,

thanks for that I didn't realise it was going to be such an issue to mix active and passive pickups together. I looked on the EMG website and they say you can do it but u need to add additonial products to the pots of the passive pickups to make it work but you may not get the same response.

I am just looking for a great clean tone with the option to add a bit of gas when required I really dig the cool rail and screaming demon now I just have to go back to the drawing board on the neck pickup

Im building a warmoth body so im not too worried about the 'strat' sound im just trying to create something unique, hence the initial unique pickup combo.

thanks for taking the time to write such a great response I really appreciate it
The Dimarzio Air Norton S might be close to what you're looking for if you want fairly high output and a smooth tone, it's definitely worth looking into.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com