I recently discovered I had a bad habit of pulling my pinky to far away from the fretboard when its not in use. This hinders me from playing fast passages cleanly/easily. Any one have ideas on how to break this habit?

sorry if im in the wrong fourm
always act like your gonna use your pinky? remember to keep your fingers bent when playing. nothing flat
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
I have this same problem, whenever I take any of my fingers aren't fretting, I hold them too far away. I can't break myself of it. So far I haven't hit my ceiling though, so we'll see if the habit breaks when it needs to.
when you play consciously make an effort to keep the pinky in the right spot, do that enough and it'll become second nature when you're playing and not actually thinking about it.
play some scales and use all your fingers. keep practicing them until they feel natural, and use all of your fingers and make sure your playing position is good.

you can also try some simple licks using your pinkie, like the start of the solo to Stairway To Heaven. use your pinkie for the notes on the 8th frets. the riff on the e and a strings on Crazy Train by Ozzy is a good workout for your fingers; just remember to use your pinkie.

lets say you are playing the crazy train riff. that happens from the 2nd to the 5th frets on the heaviest 2 strings. so that is a span of 4 frets. placing your index finger on the 2nd fret, middle on 3rd, ring on 4th and pinkie on 5th fret, use only those fingers for those frets.

im sure there are videos on youtube and tutorials. good luck!
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
thanks for the advice ledzep but im already pretty proficent on both of those song. I can use my pinky fine i just need help keeping it closer to the fretboard so i can play faster stuff like some of avenged sevenfold's solos.
Quote by deflep1rocks
thanks for the advice ledzep but im already pretty proficent on both of those song. I can use my pinky fine i just need help keeping it closer to the fretboard so i can play faster stuff like some of avenged sevenfold's solos.

i guess practicing scales alongside learning their solos is your best bet, then. i think as long as your pinkie is fast enough getting to the fret, it doesnt matter how high it is off the board. and you cant always have it close to the frets, because some songs or some sections of songs will require techniques which dont allow for all the fingers to be close to the fretboard. as long as you can use it when it matters, it doesnt matter what it does when you dont need it.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.