when you play fast, does you forearm tense up? if so, a little or a lot?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
yes. but its been reduced through constant practice.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
It still tenses up but I focus on the tension untill I get it to go away. Tension = bad
at first it did now it all comes from the wrist
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
yes, buckets
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Mine does... & Oh Boy can it start to hurt..! But i wondered if that's because my Ibanez is so neck-heavy, my arm/wrist is under strain from just holdin the thing up?!?! Even with the strap, it becomes uncomforable after a while. OOppps.. gone off topic a bit..

Freshman acoustic
IbanezGAX70
DIGITECH RP100
Quote by sacamano79
when you play fast, does you forearm tense up? if so, a little or a lot?

Define fast...a little but nowhere near as much as it used to and I'm still working on it, at the moment I can reach 16th triplets at about 115-120bpm without any real tension.

To play fast you should be aiming for as little tension in your playing as possible, the more you tense up the more likely you are to injure yourself and you might also be using spazzy tremolo picking which indicates a lack of control over your picking. Remember: shred isn't about speed, it's about control.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Not really, never has. But really depends what I'm playing.
Gear(Sucks):
Aria STG Series Strat
Yamaha F310P Acoustic
BOSS DS-2 Distortion.
RMS 10 Watt Practice Amp

Wishlist:
New guitar
Brawl: 2578 4543 4918
my forearm is fine, but my shoulder has tensed up before (like the outside, not the top). Any time that happens though i just try to really focus and get the tension to go away. I will stop playing for a minute or just slow down. This is only with fast picking obviously.
Sometimes with lots of fast downpicking, but a lot less than it used to when I was beginning.
Jackson DK2T (Crimson Swirl)
Roland Cube 30X
Gibson SG Standard (Natural Burst)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Transparent Amber)
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112
Digitech RPx400 Floor Processor