I want to record 1-3 tracks with my guitar on the computer. How to do this? What program and how to record my guitar without just having a mic infront of the amp.
WOOOWWW , DUDE........... NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!
A great, free program to use to record is Audacity.

As for the recording process itself, you'll get the best results recording with a good quality mic in front of your amp. You can always record DI straight into your computer through an effects unit and get good results.
Quote by BrockTandem
A great, free program to use to record is Audacity.

As for the recording process itself, you'll get the best results recording with a good quality mic in front of your amp. You can always record DI straight into your computer through an effects unit and get good results.

Ah. Thank you. But when I try to record 2 tracks. then sound gets very crappy. Can you suggest an effect?
You gotta mute the other track while recording and have play to a metronome. Then it's just a case of mixing and EQ.
what about the thing you plug from your guitar to your computer? isnt there something like that?
Quote by Horlicks
You gotta mute the other track while recording and have play to a metronome. Then it's just a case of mixing and EQ.

Ah.
Be sure to pan guitar tracks left and right in order to space things out. Everything sounds like mush if it is all panned to the center.
Quote by amazing FretMan
what about the thing you plug from your guitar to your computer? isnt there something like that?

There IS the Line 6 Toneport and POD series which you can use.

As for recording, mixing and panning helps a lot to make sure each instrument sounds good and sits well with the mix; you don't want the bass guitar fighting for space with the bass drum for example so you would pan and EQ them both differently.
Quote by BrockTandem
Be sure to pan guitar tracks left and right in order to space things out. Everything sounds like mush if it is all panned to the center.

Although bear in mind not to overpan, or it sounds too empty.
Quote by Horlicks
Although bear in mind not to overpan, or it sounds too empty.

Of course, there are exceptions. Just play around see what sounds good to you.
Buy an instrument mic.
and a good external audio interface thing.
I love white guitars!
Buy one of these

Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.