Hi all,

While searching eBay, I happened across a cheap TOM bridge pre-fitted with piezo pickups for £20-ish. Before anyone says save for something like a GHOST, I can't as I'm heading to uni later this year, and I want to find out if I like piezos or not. My acoustic guitar is awful, so having piezos on my Cort would be nice.
This is the bridge:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-STRING-Piezo-tune-o-matic-bridge-for-SG-LP-Gibson-B28_W0QQitemZ130236100387QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
It has a jack plug on the end, which says to me that it would need a pre-amp (as per acoustic guitar) but the seller states I can just wire it up as a pickup. So really, first question is do I need a pre-amp?

Next, I have a Cort KX5 guitar I want to mount this on. It has a TOM bridge which could be directly replaced with this. However, it has a pair of coil-tapped high-output pickups (20k-ish). What I want is to replace the volume pot with a push-pull pot like I have on the tone pot for the coil tap. Essentially, I want both pickups to go via the master tone and volume controls, with the volume push-pull serving as the selector. Both signals will go out the same mono jack socket for now, until I can work out how I would fit and use a stereo jack.
Will I need any extra hardware to fit these besides the push-pull? Is this wiring feasable?

For reference, here is the gutar's wiring diagram:

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
What position do you want the piezo to work in? Maybe use a seperate switch or even a push-pull to activate it? Then I think you would wire it in to the volume pot the same as the other pickups unless you don't want it to have the controls.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Quote by a4lrocker
What position do you want the piezo to work in? Maybe use a seperate switch or even a push-pull to activate it? Then I think you would wire it in to the volume pot the same as the other pickups unless you don't want it to have the controls.

Erm, in my post, I said I wanted to use a push-pull, and to be able to use the volume and tone pots on the piezo. Basically, using the push-pull to flick between magnetic and piezo...

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Ah...right sorry about that. I tend to skim I'll work on drawing it out for you.

EDIT:
Mkay...everthing connected on the left side of the switch is ground and the right is hot. I think that should work.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Last edited by a4lrocker at Jul 8, 2008,
I know you dont want to hear this but, dont buy that save for something better.

The reason being, that its not a good quality piezo at all, you say you want to know if you like piezos but your never going to know with that bridge, it will put you off them if anything.

Theres no pre amp or battery needed, thats a big warning light as far as im concerned as all good quality piezos are active and have pre amps

and it has a 2.5mm jack which I have no idea where you would plug that in or how you would wire it to get a sound out of the amp from it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
I know you dont want to hear this but, dont buy that save for something better.

The reason being, that its not a good quality piezo at all, you say you want to know if you like piezos but your never going to know with that bridge, it will put you off them if anything.

Theres no pre amp or battery needed, thats a big warning light as far as im concerned as all good quality piezos are active and have pre amps

and it has a 2.5mm jack which I have no idea where you would plug that in or how you would wire it to get a sound out of the amp from it.

A bit of research has turned up that acoustic piezo pickups have this 2.5mm jack plug too, and this plugs into a pre-amp, so I think I see what's got to happen here - far from just wiring as a pickup, I need to add a pre-amp circuit.

I've found the Artec AB1 pre-amp, which includes volume and tone controls on a pre-wired circuit board. It also has a 2.5mm jack input and is designed for both acoustic and electric guitars. Maybe this is what I need.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
It doesn't say that the piezo won't benefit from a preamp dude. No piezo needs a preamp, they just help create a better sound.