I was wondering, would such a finish work?
More specifically, I'm thinking of using a readily available liquid stain and then giving the wood some protection with tung oil.
However, the local shop's website says that the surface to be tung-oiled must be clean of any waxes and must not be previously treated with any colour or lacquer. So does this apply to stains too?
I'm getting mixed messages here because I've seen the book "Building Electric Guitars" which implies that it's possible to use oil on stained wood.

Could anyone tell me if this is possible/a good idea?
Maybe someone with personal experience could tell me if I should know anything before doing this?

I would, of course, first try the thing on scrap wood from the actual body blank but I'd like some encouraging before I actually buy the stain and oil.
i had a matte finished guitar, i sanded it back to wood, and finished it with olive oil lol.

had no problems, looks cool, smells like pudding batter. (after its made, before its cooked lol)

staining its a good idea, i wish i thought of it.
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
i had a matte finished guitar, i sanded it back to wood, and finished it with olive oil lol.

had no problems, looks cool, smells like pudding batter. (after its made, before its cooked lol)

staining its a good idea, i wish i thought of it.

mmmm pudding batter

/ts - try it on a scrap like you say. or ask jscustomguitars... he seems to know a fair amount and uses oil finish.
Thank you please.
I recon is should be ok, because when you stain it sinks into the wood still leaving the grain on the surface where as a lacquer covers the grain up for a smooth surface, so the oil should still be able to penetrate the stained grain.

But as you said, just test it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man