Page 1 of 3
hey all, I changed the strings on my guitar last night (its the first time i have done it myself) and it went quite well or so i thought, I now seem to have slight buzzing on the top 3 strings which wasnt there before, i also rubbed the fretboard between each string change with a microfibre cloth and lemon oil. Any idea why i would now have buzz when i didnt before? The strings look fine to me and they stay in tune pretty well.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
d'you use a different gauge?

your action may be accustomed to another size

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
if you went to larger guage strings. you will have to raise the saddle's height and reset your intonation.
im pretty sure they are the same gauge, i used .10 which according to the manual is normal for the rg321mh. I think maybe my technique was just a little bit wrong or something, I mean they play fine and stay in tune just great but they slightly buzz especially when stummed, perhaps i left too much slack or something. oh well first time so im not too disheartened by it, I will just have to buy some more packs and keep trying till i can get it right. this is the technique i used http://www.simonlees.co.uk/restring.htm Like i said i think i left too much slack and wasnt consistent with keeping it tight.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
.10 to what..........10 to 46 or 10 to 52. if you went larger on the low E A D G B that that could be the problem. but anyway if it's in tune there will be no slack. unless your in drop d,c or b. try raising the saddle on the strings that are buzzing. see if it helps.
Quote by mmjohn
.10 to what..........10 to 46 or 10 to 52. if you went larger on the low E A D G B that that could be the problem. but anyway if it's in tune there will be no slack. unless your in drop d,c or b. try raising the saddle on the strings that are buzzing. see if it helps.

its 10 - 46 they are exactly the same brand as what was put on by the luthier that set it up for me originally. And yes it stays in tune great and sounds clear except for the buzzing. I have also tried raising the saddle but i couldnt get it to stop, i mean it probably would eventually but not a a comfortable playing level. Besides it was fine last night when i first changed them so what could have changed overnight?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
at what fret(s) do they buzz?
did you remove all the strings in one go then restring?
if so it's probably the truss rod.
but raising the saddle will most probably help.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by necrophilic
at what fret(s) do they buzz?
did you remove all the strings in one go then restring?
if so it's probably the truss rod.
but raising the saddle will most probably help.

no i did them 1 at a time as instructed on the site above as i was aware that removing all of them could adjust the neck. I seems to buzz all the way down the neck on the low E and A strings.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
sounds as if you need the truss rod adjusted. as to why???? i'm not sure if you did everything correct. but that sounds like the only way to stop the buzz.
hmmm...
let's go through it one time.
your guitar was fine (no buzzes).
changed strings of (supposedly) same gauge.
Q: in what order? high E to low E is the correct method. did you tune after changing each/every string?
Q: did you hit the neck on any surface?
Q: did you leave your guitar in "extreme" temperature/conditions?
maybe you're used to ultra low action so you're not comfortable with raising the saddle.
but if it's really high and buzzes aren't gone yet, i think you need to adjust the truss rod.
that's all i know. assuming your frets don't go crazy overnight.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
oh and before you even touch the truss rod, keep in mind you can only turn it about 1/8-1/6 of a turn each time, then leave it in playing position or just play it for i don't know how many minutes/hours. don't overdo it as you MIGHT cause some damage to the neck.
clockwise or anti? it depends on your problem.
well i actually had to change the high e first because it snapped (which is why i decided to change them all in the first place) i then tuned it up once changed and did the rest in proper order (low e, a, d..) tuning each one after fitting, and then moving on to the next. I left it overnight in my room on a stand its not that hot in here and its been in here for a good few weeks. My neck has never been that straight which has caused me problems in the past. From the body it seems to go straight and then at about the 12 fret begin to dip ever so slightly then at the 6th fret it appears to dip back up. so a slight bow it seems, but it doesnt look anymore severe today as it did last week, Im no expert on sighting the neck on a guitar though. "edit.. i have messed about with the truss rod on this guitar before when i encountered a similar problem, im one of those people that has to fiddle with something to understand how it works and it caused me a whole heap of trouble which is why the neck is slightly weird, i then took it to a luthier who managed to get it into a playable state again.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Last edited by lwayneio at Jul 8, 2008,
if you take all the strings off at once then the neck relaxes a bit and an adjustment is needed to get it back in place.

fret the Low E first fret, at the same time,
fret the low E last fret where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, lok at the middle frets.

if the string lays on the fretwire there, then you need a slight adjustment,

look at repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
while holding the 1st fret and then the fret where the neck meets the body I can see that there is quite a bit of room between the middle frets and the string and doing the same but holding the 24th fret there is plenty of room and all frets have clearence.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by jj1565
if you take all the strings off at once then the neck relaxes a bit and an adjustment is needed to get it back in place.

fret the Low E first fret, at the same time,
fret the low E last fret where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, lok at the middle frets.

if the string lays on the fretwire there, then you need a slight adjustment,

look at repost.

hmmm...
you sure that's correct?
i'd put it this way, if you take all the strings off at once, the truss rod's counter-tension moment (or force, whatever you call it) will act as tension itself hence "elongating" the fretboard. this is called tense. not relaxed.
but after this if you loosen the truss rod, the neck itself "shrinks", like slouching. i think this way then you call it "relaxed".
Quote by lwayneio
once changed and did the rest in proper order (low e, a, d..) tuning each one after fitting, and then moving on to the next.

WRONG!
you do it from HIGH E to LOW E.

E (thinnest)
B
G
D
A

then

E (fattest)

like an upward strum.
Really? oh, well the guide i was going by the luthier does it low e first, he even takes all the strings off at once (i didnt do that). Could that be the problem then? lame what do i do now then?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
if you're restringing a guitar with strings on it, start from high E (thin E) to low E (fat E).
if you're restringing a guitar with no strings on it, you can tie the strings in whichever order you like AS LONG AS YOU TIGHTEN/TUNE from high E (thin E) to low E (fat E).
the link http://www.simonlees.co.uk/restring.htm was about stringing a guitar with no strings. it didn't mention in which order you should tighten the strings, so you must have misunderstood.
yeh still on that link he tunes up the low e first as well, but nevermind iv done it now, at least i know for next time, so any idea how i should try sorting this out then?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
Really? oh, well the guide i was going by the luthier does it low e first, he even takes all the strings off at once (i didnt do that). Could that be the problem then? lame what do i do now then?

i'm no good at sighting either (i find it impossible).
my best advice is if you don't mind cashing out a bit of money, go to a repairman/luthier.
experience + training > experience
no offense to y'all but sometimes you can't rely too much on UGer's advice (mine included). we can't compare our experience+superstition to professional mastery.
but if you really want to do it (the truss rod) yourself, just make sure you're doing it slowly, don't force anything, and if you're using too much torque you're probably doing it wrong.
i gtg.
I wouldnt even know which way to turn it to be honest but thanks for the help... any other people got any idea whats wrong here?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
while holding the 1st fret and then the fret where the neck meets the body I can see that there is quite a bit of room between the middle frets and the string and doing the same but holding the 24th fret there is plenty of room and all frets have clearence.

is your bridge lifted up from the body?

and where (what frets) are buzzing?

did you try lifting at the saddles/bridge yet?

also for the other fella, don't worry about the terms, i'm explaining it to him.
and don;t worry about the order of the stringing, it's not that big of a deal.
he still swapped one at a time.

the strings are still fresh, then they might just settle in fine, or maybe he can raise the bridge a little.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 8, 2008,
the guitar has a strat style bridge where you use an allen key to raise the saddles of each string, I have raised the low E and A strings and little has changed, there seems to be a bit less buzz around the 7th fret but everywhere else is the same. I think its hitting one of the two frets in front of the one being played if you see what i mean. It is much worse nearer the body of the guitar.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
when you fret the first and the last string on the Low E, and you say there's is more than enough room above the 7-9th frets, could you fit a credit card in that space?

because i sware, i keep thinking that you could use a little more bend, but that doesnt make sense if you have enough relief.

again, the strat bridge is level right? if for some reason it was sunken into the body, then that would also explain things.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

okay i just measured the gap and i couldnt get a 0.5mm pick in it with out it lifting the string slightly so maybe i dont have enough. The string action is however higher in the middle of the neck so i just assumed that would mean its already fairly curved. I might loosen the truss rod an 1/8th and then leave it overnight to see what happens, il then need some help getting the intonation back though wont i? or will that small an adjustment not alter it too much?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Try not to mess your guitar up too much. I had the same problem and made it worse trying to fix it. I've got a "beginner setup" like you. They usually rattle a little after being changed. Ignore it and it will fix itself in a day or two. However, your problem may be worse than mine. The action might be too low. Make sure you are using the right gauge for your guitar, and then use a screwdriver on the bridge to alter the action. At least that's how you do it on my Squier, I don't know what your bridge looks like. The best thing to do, take it to a shop and let professionals fix it. You don't want to make it worse.
Quote by lwayneio
okay i just measured the gap and i couldnt get a 0.5mm pick in it with out it lifting the string slightly so maybe i dont have enough. The string action is however higher in the middle of the neck so i just assumed that would mean its already fairly curved. I might loosen the truss rod an 1/8th and then leave it overnight to see what happens, il then need some help getting the intonation back though wont i? or will that small an adjustment not alter it too much?

if you can't get a pick in there then yeah, you need about a 1/8" COUNTER clockwise turn.
dont force the turn and leave it after like said.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

its definetly the right gauge strings,and i have raised the action quite a bit but it hasnt helped just makes it really weird to play and still buzzes, i will leave it a while to see if it gets better. I have tampered with the truss rod before and made it worse so your words are true lol.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
well do as you wish, but if there isnt enough room in the middle, then it's basically flush at the ends where it's buzzing and raising the bridge wont help.

if you're one of those types just cant get tech things right, then eventually you'll want to try the turn, then take it in, if you're still miserable.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
if you can't get a pick in there then yeah, you need about a 1/8" COUNTER clockwise turn.
dont force the turn and leave it after like said.

yeh i will probably do it before i go to bed and then leave it overnight. Its strange that these things always happen to me lol, nevermind i learn from them, my guitar tech knowledge is overtaking that of a lot of my friends, shame my playing skills havent yet :P . I really want a new guitar anyway, i might place a bid on a squire strat that going stupidly cheap on ebay as a 2nd mess about guitar

.."if you're still miserable." lol dude i aint miserable pretty happy actually, i expected a lot worse from my first ever string change to be honest things usually go much worse for me I expected to snap the neck and then impale myself on the broken shards.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
ha, dude, you should be proud of yourself.

by that, i just meant, if you can't get rid of the buzz, you're still fine as long as you're responsible enough to ask before adjusting.

that way you know, you did all you can and can STill take it in if it's still not how you like it.

worst case, at least you tried. as long as you dont break the neck, there's nothing you can do to it that the tech wont be able to undo. (usually easily)

good luck
Jenny
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

cheers ... Jenny, Ew I didnt realise i was getting advice form a girl lol, nah seriously though thanks i appreciate it. I know a really good guitar tech back home in leicester im at home for summer from uni atm though so i cant get to him so i hope i can find a shop whil im down here.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
ok, check back if you decide to give it a go.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

hang on just to be clear, to measure the relief do i hold the fret where the guitar meets the body or the 24th fret where the guitar meets the neck pickup? cos when looking at the guitar i clearly have higher action at the middle of the neck than i do at the 1st and last frets. edit.. is it possible that the neck is too curved? and so when i fret a string in the middle the string hits the frets nearer the body of the guitar because they are higher?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
mmk yall, i did a bad thing, i had to restring my dxmg real fast and in a hurry, so i did the big no no and changed em all at once. so now i have a different set up and feel to to the neck . b4 i changed the strings it had 10`s on it and the strings were very high off the neck, and super stiff. now i put 9`s back on it cuz its all i had , and the action is super low and the strings are not as tight for a standard tuning. i can acually bend them w/ my old arthrictic fingers . now my question is. im well aware that the truss rod has most likely readjusted ,but i like it better, can i leave it as is and play it w/out damage to the neck??. ps i havent touched the truss rod at all.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
i had the same problem. don't adjust the action at all just play for a few days and the buzz will disappear. unless you have a different gauge then you will have to do a setup
sorry i did not mean to post on your thread, please dis regard i thought i was making a new thread
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
guitar necks are usually bowed a little.

too much and your action will seem high. but at least you should be clearing your frets.

too little, and no matter how high you make your action, you'll still get buzz on the first few and last few frets.

If you fret the Low E on the first fret and the last fret where the neck and body meet, and you still can't get a pick to fit in the middle frets 7-9th, then you really don't have as much relief as you think.

there are several simple ways to check relief...

http://www.icepoint.com/guitar/Setting%20up%20your%20electric%20guitar/

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

well i tried adjusting it and the rod seems stupidly loose to me, is it wise to try loosening it more?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Page 1 of 3