around november i plan to play solo in my school's open day.
the venue would most probably be the size of a conference room (our college admin doesn't support contemporary music i suppose).
what i have here is my mesa/boogie f-30 combo (30W).
i'd like to use my own amp during the show but i'm worried that it isn't loud enough.
but on the bright side there won't be live drums or other instruments for my solo.
just me and the backing tracks through PA.

so do i really need more power (head+cabs)?
is it possible to connect the combo to cabs?
i'm sorry i haven't actually tried it out in the venue but first i'd like to ask your opinions.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
That should be more than enough
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
If it's through PA then it'll be more than enough
My Peavey 6505+ doesn't go past 2 live in 1000 capacity venues, so yours should be more than adequate
ohai little sig.
well i dont think parents/teachers will be that impressed by deafening music. stick to ur amp. should be fine.
Here is what you do, buy a 200W amp or something, wait till everyone is in the room, get a semi-acoustic and a pair of earplugs for yourself, stand right infront of the amp facing it, crank the amp to full, and start playing away. I have a saying, if most of the audience isn't permanently deaf after my performance, I haven't done my job.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
if you are miced and coming through the PA, you will be fine. if you aren't miced, it will still work, but would sound less good, because you are only coming from one source, whereas your backing tracks will be coming from several sources (PA monitors... I assume there's more than 1)
Gear

Gibson Shred-X Explorer
Epiphone Negative Explorer w/ EMG 80/60
ESP LTD EC QM200
Ibanez RG321 w/ EMG 81/60

Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant cab

http://www.delusionsof.com
Quote by Martindecorum
run ur amp through the pa aswell DONE DEAL

do i have to run it through PA to be loud enough?
because at the venue other performers will be using a rent set (head+cab, combo, bass amp, drums, mic, PA).
so for the moment i'll have to assume that the PA will be set up for the rent stuff.
(i'm not even sure if i can "borrow" the PA for my backing tracks).
and i'd like to use my amp because i'm picky .
anyway i've seen the stuff from the studio and i'm not impressed so that's the main reason.
besides, what true guitarist doesn't seek his/her own tone?

so back to the question do i have to run it through PA?
(there won't be drums, bass, vocals. just tracks + me)
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by GoDrex
You don't know how loud your own amp is? Try turning it up sometime maybe, to get an idea.

i live in a dorm.
but very soon i'll find the time to trolley my amp to the venue to blast it and we'll see.
u don have to but it will sound sweeter, as it coming from more sources and become a fuller siound, it will still have the tone of the amp though as it is miced, so u wont be losing anything, its a matter of 2 minutes to move the mic to be infront of ur amp

but no u dont have to be in the pa

ur amp will be fine
Last edited by Martindecorum at Jul 8, 2008,
Quote by necrophilic
do i have to run it through PA to be loud enough?
because at the venue other performers will be using a rent set (head+cab, combo, bass amp, drums, mic, PA).
so for the moment i'll have to assume that the PA will be set up for the rent stuff.
(i'm not even sure if i can "borrow" the PA for my backing tracks).
and i'd like to use my amp because i'm picky .
anyway i've seen the stuff from the studio and i'm not impressed so that's the main reason.
besides, what true guitarist doesn't seek his/her own tone?

so back to the question do i have to run it through PA?
(there won't be drums, bass, vocals. just tracks + me)

No, You don't have to run it through the PA. Trust me, that amp is MORE than enough. The PA would be big-time unnecessary overkill.

What song are you playing by the way?
Quote by Martindecorum
u don have to but it will sound sweeter, as it coming from more sources and become a fuller siound, it will still have the tone of the amp though as it is miced, so u wont be losing anything, its a matter of 2 minutes to move the mic to be infront of ur amp

but no u dont have to be in the pa

understood. i'll make a request at the studio, and hopefully i don't cause any ear-splitting feedback during the transition.
Quote by ShaunDiel
No, You don't have to run it through the PA. Trust me, that amp is MORE than enough. The PA would be big-time unnecessary overkill.

What song are you playing by the way?

probably a few satriani's, one vai, one petrucci.
it's gonna be my first gig of my entire life (seriously). i'm just hoping that everything'll turn out fine.
the songs are killer-difficult, but i'm practicing.
i intend to slot in more satriani's because his stuff are relatively easier.
at high gain settings with volume around half past seven o'clock (a.m.) i have people knocking at my door.
Quote by MrCarrot
IT
IS
PLENTY
LOUD

I don't think your text is quite big enough to convey just how fine he'll be.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Your amp is more than enough, I second the idea of spreading the source of the sound through the PA just for dispersion purposes. If you can't use the PA, maybe an extension cabinet would be the answer to spreading your sound. But the amp itself is plenty loud as Mr Carrot stated so boldly.
You could probably be loud enough with a 30w solid state, your Mesa will mow down the front row seats with the volume at 10 o'clock.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
dude it is plenty...i gigged with that exact amp for almost a year, and it was plenty even without the pa....and with all other instruments going
my music....so check it out

www.myspace.com/copperchild