Page 1 of 2
Ok, so I asked this question on the bike board I frequent so now I'll get the opinion of the guitar community.

Is it frowned upon to ride about with my guitar on my back? Bad idea? My motorcycle is my primary means of transportation (share a car with my wife) and I'm going to be taking lessons as soon as I find an instuctor with a schedule that works with mine. As with most things, I'd prefer to do this on the bike if it's not bad for my Strat in some way. I've got a decent Fender gig bag with double backpack style straps.

What say ye? Aye or nay?
Thats badass... pics or it didn't happen
My gear:
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Ibanez AEL 50 SERLV
Peavey XXL Half Stack
i'd say to reinforce the crap outta the gig bag, especially the straps where thy connect to the pack.. my friend's gig bag broke the plastic rings that hold it together and his bass fell
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
It's probably OK , just make sure that the zipper in the gigback is tight and stuff like that.

Heck , i'd do that.

EDIT : Dude! Learn to play guitar WHILE riding a bike! You will be like the best stunt driver ever!
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
I think I'm a bit too protective of my gear to risk doing that, although I'm sure it's fine, just make sure the case holds and maybe get some extra padding in there.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by -Blue-
I don't know if the wind generated by motorcycle speeds will screw up the neck over time or anything. I'd look out for that.

Yeah that is my main question. It would seem, since the guitar is going to be in a padded gig bag on my back, that my body and helmet will block essentially all direct wind it will take. Plus I'm on a fully-faired sport-tourer with good airflow anyway. Only talking about riding maybe 20 miles tops, across town to wherever I end up taking lessons. No high speed highway runs.

Also, if you crash at all on a motorcycle, your guitar is f*cked even if you survive. In a car, there might be a chance.

Indeed. I've crashed before and it ain't fun. If I crash, my guitar will be the least of my concerns.
Quote by ZZRIDER
If I crash, my guitar will be the least of my concerns.

Exactly, lol. What a dumbass comment lol. If you crash your bike, your first concern is whether or not all your limbs are still attached in fairly good condition, not whether or not your guitar is ****ed lol.

If you're going for an acoustic: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gator-GL-Lightweight-Dread-Acoustic12-Case?sku=546102

It's a hardshell case in the form of a gigbag. They have those for all forms of acoustic guitars. I think they may have one for electrics too, so just take a look. If you're at all worried about the wind, those are closed cases in gigbag form... no wind problems at all.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
i'd say to reinforce the crap outta the gig bag, especially the straps where thy connect to the pack.. my friend's gig bag broke the plastic rings that hold it together and his bass fell

Yeah I was thinking about that. The Fender gig bag I got has pretty beefy metal hardware for the backpack straps.

So then it seems like the main concern would be the wind stress on the neck. I might be able to address that by slipping a piece of plywood into the back of the bag, where the padding is, to relieve the guitar of those stresses.
From personal experience, the Fender gigbags aren't particularly great. Note heavy use of understatement.

I'd suggest you buy a higher quality one or at least check the gigbag frequently for torn stitching.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
well your guitar really won't be damaged as long as the bag is tied tight and u obviously don't crash...
I don't know about your gig bag, but my one responds to wind like a parachute. If it's anything like that, you're probably going to die.
lol pretend to be george thorogood while you drive on the bike. don't forget to have a big cigar. seriously though, i wouldn't do it. who wants to know their guitars broken when they're incapacitated
other thing that may mess with your guitar is the big change in temperature when your riding
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by ZZRIDER
Yeah I was thinking about that. The Fender gig bag I got has pretty beefy metal hardware for the backpack straps.

So then it seems like the main concern would be the wind stress on the neck. I might be able to address that by slipping a piece of plywood into the back of the bag, where the padding is, to relieve the guitar of those stresses.

well, if you're never going to be going faster than, say, 25 mph, I don't think the wind stress would damage you're guitar. Not to mention that your body is gonna take the majority of the wind stress anyway, since you're wearing it on your back. I say do it, just make sure your gig bag is strong.
I tried this several times and I don't like it. The top of the gigbag coming well above my head catches a lot of wind. I have to hoist the pack high on my back too, to prevent the bottom of the pack resting on the buddy, making the neck stick out even more. That's why I wear the pack diagonally across my back, which sits a bit less uncomfortable but prevents me from looking back over one shoulder.
Then there is another safety issue. Backpacks always pose a danger of inflicting injury in the (for some people routine) event of leaving the vehicle before coming to a full stop, even without containing big chunks of tropical hardwood. (An easy crushable acoustic may serve as an extra back protector though)
Sometimes I take a guitar on my bike, driving slowly and without much enjoying the ride. If I were to do it on a daily basis, I would certainly see if I could make some sort of special luggage rack, shaped to take a good hardshell case.
Do you ride on a Harley?If so,take a picture of you wearing a leather jacket and holding your guitar next to it.

I don't think it's very good to do that actually.What if it drops?Best if you could keep it in a hardcase but I don't know any hardcases that you may use to strap on your back.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
Do you ride on a Harley?If so,take a picture of you wearing a leather jacket and holding your guitar next to it.

Negative. I have two Kawasakis, a ZZR1200 and a ZX-14.

(BTW, you better be a female if you're asking me to pose for a beefcake picture. )

I don't think it's very good to do that actually.What if it drops?Best if you could keep it in a hardcase but I don't know any hardcases that you may use to strap on your back.

I don't really see why it would "just drop"... the gig bag I picked up has pretty substantial metal hardware on the backpack straps and the fabric and stitching looks quite sturdy too. I also have the Fender hardcase that it came in but it's a huge heavy thing that in no way was ever intended to be carried on one's body.

I guess I'm just gonna have to give it a try one of these days on a short ride; see how much drag it actually picks up on whatever part of the neck sticks up over my head.
Sorry ZZRider, I could have told right away by your user name if I'd been keen enough to notice, but ZZR's are only for carrying one super fit, leather clad 1.65m athlete whose only luggage is a credit card to cope with the gas consumption at 260 km/h. ZZR's are much appreciated for their superior speed and handling, not for hauling loads.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Sorry ZZRider, I could have told right away by your user name if I'd been keen enough to notice, but ZZR's are only for carrying one super fit, leather clad 1.65m athlete whose only luggage is a credit card to cope with the gas consumption at 260 km/h. ZZR's are much appreciated for their superior speed and handling, not for hauling loads.

Oh, my friend, my ZZR is quite a capable load hauler! It's my touring bike and every-day errand runner/commuter, bristling with hard luggage with 118 litres of carrying capacity.

It actually gets pretty decent mileage too, averaging around 45 mpg.

Now, my ZX-14 on the other hand carries only me and said credit card, and guzzles gas.
I stand corrected.
Humble apologies.
BTW where is that picture taken? Seems like some familiar European landscape to me.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
I stand corrected.
Humble apologies.
BTW where is that picture taken? Seems like some familiar European landscape to me.

That picture was actually taken on Skyline Drive in Virginia, last summer. Absoutely beautiful country and great riding.
once you carry your guitar on an unicycle like my friend, then you will be cool. if you dont belive me i can probably get pictures.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
pics of the zx-14! I was gonna get my M license but got in some trouble driving a car and now have no license whatsoever .

I think you would be fine with your guitar on your back, I'm assuming it will only be a few times a month for your lessons.
Quote by Sharck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysXMAOgEIq4

works fine for this man...

Damn, how could I have forgotten that vid?! I notice he's got a slim hard case for his axe (which I cannot identify... hollow body? Gretsch?)

So.... is there a slim contoured hard case like that that fits a Strat?
Quote by JoshRocco
pics of the zx-14!

Ask and ye shall receive...

I was gonna get my M license but got in some trouble driving a car and now have no license whatsoever .

Oh dude that sucks. How long are you suspended for?

I think you would be fine with your guitar on your back, I'm assuming it will only be a few times a month for your lessons.

Yeah, once a week for lessons, weather permitting. I do ride in the rain normally but of course would not on lesson day.
Until December, a bike still might be in my future, especially if I can't save up enough money for a decent car by that time. The zx-14 looks hot, I like the color.
ive done it. i have a strat and a gig bag and mine is nowhere as beefy as yours(plastic instead of metal) and mines fine, its 35mph from here to where i take lessons and my neck is fine. id say go for it and if you notice something then stop
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Cool bikes,my knees hurt looking at them though.I get stiff knees.I was actually gonna try and ride my bike with my guitar the other day but opted not to.
Just painted it myself to 2008 Jaguar Pearl Racing green.
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Last edited by twisty571 at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by twisty571
Cool bikes,my knees hurt looking at them though.I get stiff knees.I was actually gonna try and ride my bike with my guitar the other day but opted not to.
Just painted it myself to 2008 Jaguar Pearl Racing green.

Not to hijack this thread but what bike is that? It looks real nice. I'm trying to get a Harley Dyna/Softail or similar bike, open to alternatives for a bike that looks like that for a first bike.
Oh, and for the thread, getting a padded gig bag might be cool. I think it'd be awesome to roll up on a Harley, decked out in leather biker gear wearing a nice guitar on your back. I could picture myself doing that with my SG Custom or my Epi Explorer bass. I bet you'd have to pry the ladies off you (depending where you park of course).
i wouldnt do it. if you wreck, then you have probably screwed your self, your bike, and your axe. thats the triple whammy. and you would not have any thing to do while you sit at home in traction. plus even in a gig bag, you guitar will take hits from pebbles and junebugs, small flying rodents, and other missiles out there that your exposed to on a bike.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Pity that the ZZR is not readily adaptable for sidecar operation like my old 1970's tourer, for it would solve all your transportation problems. Mine easily takes a bass and an amp without loss of performance. On the contrary; the roadholding in right hand corners actually improves when carrying heavy luggage.

http://www.motorrun.nl/includes/foto/images/2007_zaterdag/full/za047.jpg

Yes, that's me, and that's the sidecar I've designed and build together with a friend. No, that's not my girlfriend enjoying a ride. She's a nice lady though

In your case I would think about some specially designed rack that clicks in place of one of the side trunks.

And man.. one day I too will ride a motorcycle through the US. Watch your mirrors ZZRider
it'll be fine

i got a sorta trials trpe bike (road legal) and i've biked with my guitar on back,i had a hard guitar case inside a soft case which had straps,also i sumtymes (don't laf) tape the guitar 2 me (round the guitar on my back and then round my chest) 2 stop it throwing its weight2 one side as i lean round a corner.apart from that it was fine.
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
Nice rides, twisty and marcel! Love the sidecar rig. Beautiful paintjob on the Harley, Twisty. Help me out with the ID here: at first glance I was thinking it was a dyna Superglide, but right-side drive says Sportster. 1200? That solo Corbin saddle looks great on it. I've got a custom Russell saddle on the ZZR; man what a difference a good seat makes eh? Last fall I rode my ZZR on my first Iron Butt ride (1024 miles in 17.5 hours) with no assburn whatsoever.

That sidecar rig sure would solve my problem! Actually, I've been toying with the idea of adding a Harley or Ural hack rig to the stable for a couple years now...
if you can afford it, how about getting a second cheaper guitar that wouldnt make you cry if it got damaged? keep your pride and joy at home. then if (and i hope you dont) you bin your bike your guitar is fine at home waiting for your broken bones to mend...

also, as stated previously, reinforce the gig bag.
Thank you please.
Quote by ChillMusic
Thats badass... pics or it didn't happen

.. did u read the post.. it hasnt happened yet
Page 1 of 2