my parents are total tennis fanatics!

The other day for the first time i REALLY watched a match (the wimbledon finals..DAMN nadal won )

And it was really exciting.. for the first time i learned how to read the scores...

Oh and i was totally pissed at the rain!!
i play

i play level 5 in tournaments. what do you guys play? if you do play..
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
i play casually, and the grand slams are my drugs, glued to the set (lolpun)
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
yeah i love it! i cant believe Nadal won though...
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Tennis = lame to watch

fun to play

about the same as every other sport ever (as long as you're playing people that suck more than you do)

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I never get to watch any matches, but I like the sport, and would watch it if I could ever find it.

Most of my tennis knowledge comes from video games and Sportscenter.

I REALLY wanted Federer to win this year at Wimbeldon, though. It's not that I don't like Nadal, he's a fantastic player, and deserves the hype, but I wanted to see someone finally win six straight Wimbeldon titles.

I mean, come one, it hasn't been done for over 120 years!
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by fallenangel20
I never get to watch any matches, but I like the sport, and would watch it if I could ever find it.

Most of my tennis knowledge comes from video games and Sportscenter.

I REALLY wanted Federer to win this year at Wimbeldon, though. It's not that I don't like Nadal, he's a fantastic player, and deserves the hype, but I wanted to see someone finally win six straight Wimbeldon titles.

I mean, come one, it hasn't been done for over 120 years!

Back when it was done you only needed to play one match to defend your title!
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
I suck at tennis we had to play it in gym at school...I couldn't hit the ball at all so I started catching it and throwing it as hard as I could at the other people....didn't go over well...
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Tennis is awesome, which is why im glad Nadal beat Federer.

Federer was bad for tennis, he's far too arrogant.

Finally some one humble won at wimbledon, Nadal deserved it so much.
I'll burn your house down.
I play tennis for my high school team and I watch it often. The match on Sunday was one of the most epic sporting events I've ever seen. Matches like those are what inspired me to start playing.

For all of you that do play, what racquet(s) do you use? I like the Head Microgel Radical Midplus.
Yea I play couple times a week with my friends, but nothing to competitive yet.
Im like a 9.2?

I play every week.
and like tournaments every month or so....
SWFC
Quote by ewb333
Im like a 9.2?

I play every week.

9.2?

isnt anything past like 7 or 8 pro?
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by ewb333
Im like a 9.2?

I play every week.

Lol what the ****, it only goes to 7 if you're talking about the OFFICIAL USTA rating system.

And it only goes by intervals of 0.5 so that's kinda funny...

Check this out.

OR, if you're too lazy, here's what it says:

USTA Tennis Ratings

Find your tennis rating using NTRP categories. This is the most accurate rating system available and was developed by the U.S. Tennis Association in 1979. Player levels are based on a scale from 1.0 to 7.0
This is a condensed version:

# 1.0= Just starting to play tennis.
# 1.5= Has limited experience and is still working primarily on getting the ball into play.
# 2.0= Needs on-court experience. Has obvious stroke weaknesses but is familiar with basic positions for singles and doubles play.
# 2.5= Learning to judge where the ball is going although court coverage is weak. Can sustain a short rally of slow pace with other players of the same ability.
# 3.0= Fairly consistent when hitting medium-paced shots, but is not comfortable with all strokes and lacks execution when trying for directional control, depth or power. Most common doubles formation is one-up and one-back.
# 3.5= Has achieved improved stroke dependability with directional control on moderate shots, but still lacks depth and variety. Starting to exhibit more aggressive net play, has improved court coverage and is developing teamwork in doubles.
# 4.0= Has dependable strokes, including directional control and depth on both forehand and backhand sides on moderate shots, plus the ability to use lobs, overeads, approach shots and volleys with some success. Occasionally forces errors when serving and teamwork in doubles is evident. Rallies may be lost due to impatience.
# 4.5= Starting to master the use of power and spins and beginning to handle pace, has sound footwork, can control depth of shots and is beginning to vary game plan according to opponents. Can hit first serves with power and accuracy and place the second serve. Tends to overhit on difficult shots. Aggressive net play is common in doubles.
# 5.0= Has good shot anticipation and frequently has an outstanding shot or exceptional consistency around which a game may be structured. Can regularly hit winners or force errors off of short balls and can put away volleys, can successfully execute lobs, drop shots, half volleys and overhead smashes and has good depth and spin on most second serves.
# 5.5= Has developed power and/or consistency as a major weapon. can vary strategies and styles of play in a competitive situation and hit dependable shots in a stress situation.
# 6.0 to 7.0= Generally do not need NTRP ratings. Rankings or past rankings will speak for themselves. The 6.0 player has obtained a sectional and /or national ranking. The 6.5 player has extensive satellite tournament experience. The 7.0 player makes his living from tournament prize money.
Quote by petrina_678
Oh and i was totally pissed at the rain!!
Try living in the UK. You'll get used to it.
Quote by Milaneus
Lol what the ****, it only goes to 7 if you're talking about the OFFICIAL USTA rating system.

And it only goes by intervals of 0.5 so that's kinda funny...

Check this out.

OR, if you're too lazy, here's what it says:

USTA Tennis Ratings

Find your tennis rating using NTRP categories. This is the most accurate rating system available and was developed by the U.S. Tennis Association in 1979. Player levels are based on a scale from 1.0 to 7.0
This is a condensed version:

# 1.0= Just starting to play tennis.
# 1.5= Has limited experience and is still working primarily on getting the ball into play.
# 2.0= Needs on-court experience. Has obvious stroke weaknesses but is familiar with basic positions for singles and doubles play.
# 2.5= Learning to judge where the ball is going although court coverage is weak. Can sustain a short rally of slow pace with other players of the same ability.
# 3.0= Fairly consistent when hitting medium-paced shots, but is not comfortable with all strokes and lacks execution when trying for directional control, depth or power. Most common doubles formation is one-up and one-back.
# 3.5= Has achieved improved stroke dependability with directional control on moderate shots, but still lacks depth and variety. Starting to exhibit more aggressive net play, has improved court coverage and is developing teamwork in doubles.
# 4.0= Has dependable strokes, including directional control and depth on both forehand and backhand sides on moderate shots, plus the ability to use lobs, overeads, approach shots and volleys with some success. Occasionally forces errors when serving and teamwork in doubles is evident. Rallies may be lost due to impatience.
# 4.5= Starting to master the use of power and spins and beginning to handle pace, has sound footwork, can control depth of shots and is beginning to vary game plan according to opponents. Can hit first serves with power and accuracy and place the second serve. Tends to overhit on difficult shots. Aggressive net play is common in doubles.
# 5.0= Has good shot anticipation and frequently has an outstanding shot or exceptional consistency around which a game may be structured. Can regularly hit winners or force errors off of short balls and can put away volleys, can successfully execute lobs, drop shots, half volleys and overhead smashes and has good depth and spin on most second serves.
# 5.5= Has developed power and/or consistency as a major weapon. can vary strategies and styles of play in a competitive situation and hit dependable shots in a stress situation.
# 6.0 to 7.0= Generally do not need NTRP ratings. Rankings or past rankings will speak for themselves. The 6.0 player has obtained a sectional and /or national ranking. The 6.5 player has extensive satellite tournament experience. The 7.0 player makes his living from tournament prize money.

At my peak I'd be about a 6 on that scale. Then I got lazy. I was a prodigy.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Quote by fenderbassist12
9.2?

isnt anything past like 7 or 8 pro?

There's a system outside of the US, you know.

LTA rating system. Look it up.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Tennis is absolutely ace. I'm buying some gear soon and start playing regularly on weekends and stuff. I would say it's a tie between Sampras and Federer for the best player ever, based to statistics and performance, style etc., but I go for Nadal, he has such a spirit. And the many times he won Federer at Roland Garros is ridiculous. Tennis history!
Last edited by Alex Zyka at Sep 26, 2008,