Page 1 of 3
When does it get to overkill?

I have 3 and I definitely know I'm getting one more but I have to start wondering: When do you stop? I don't want to be one of those guys that has 25 guitars and played 'em once but I let people come over and look at them.

When does the line between "collector" and avid player become blurred?
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Well, when you have super-rich guitarists like Clapton and Joe Walsh playing different guitars every song just for the heck of it (and having more or less the same tone with each one), I think less of them, but if you're like John Petrucci and have a crapload of guitars because you play in 10 different tunings, that I can understand.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
When you can't recall how many guitars you actually own.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Well, when you have super-rich guitarists like Clapton and Joe Walsh playing different guitars every song just for the heck of it (and having more or less the same tone with each one), I think less of them, but if you're like John Petrucci and have a crapload of guitars because you play in 10 different tunings, that I can understand.

/thread
Gear:
Jackson DKMG
Yamaha Acoustic
Knockoff Strat
Vox AD30VT
Boss MT-2
Crybaby wah
Boss DD-3

The Ultra Balls. Throw them.

Member of the ANTI-IBANEZ MILITIA!
One a day is healthy.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
My guitar teacher has countless guitars and he makes a point of never knowing how many he actually has, because if he did, then his wife could tell him to get rid of some.

IMO if you can give them all a fair amount of play, then you can have as many as you want.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Someone only has too many guitars when that someone ISN'T YOU.
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60
It get's overkill past 4 or 5. At one point I had 10 or so guitars and I was like, 'Well this is a waste.' So I sold them.
Quote by MortifiedLizard

Totally Agree
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
eh i say like don't go too far over 5..
i have a les paul studio and its awesome, it rocks.
but im thinking when i get alot of money i'd wanna buy like 4 more guitars and just see the feel, differences.

i want:

standard strat
jaguar/jazzmaster?
telecaster
sg

then ill basically have all kinda guitars i could want
Quote by Pat_s1t
It Doesn't. Simple.

I feel that way but then I think if I end up with more than 5, I'm pushing it.

I still practice on the Squire though, it still has those stock strings and pick ups but when I play the others, it's easier.

I was just asking because I'm probably gonna get a used Epi LP get it re-strung and such. I don't have an LP style guitar so that's why I want it.
GEAR:

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
if you dont want to be wasteful...

you could have a normal acoustic, a classical, an acoustic and electric tuned to slide with a high action and everything, a metal guitar, a guitar that is good for lots of stuff, a nice clean guitar and another one maybe...soo thats 8 lol

i dunno but you can add in efects and different bridges and it could get stuid so it doesnt rli matter its up 2 u as long as u dont frame the guitar it's fine
Think about how many you actually need.

The reason pro's have so many guitars is because:
1) They use a lot of different tones or tunings and setups (say, some guitars with tremolos, others with hardtails)
2) They need backup guitars, cos they play every day, and they need to have something in case one breaks
3) They get free guitars from companies who want them to endorse their products
4) They've been playing longer than you and I have been alive, and they've been through a bunch of instruments in that time

I personally would rather have 1 guitar for everything, than a bunch for different kinds of music I might play. I will never be a "collector", it's just my mentality towards having instruments. The agony of choice would kill me.

I actually bought a second electric guitar once. It made me feel guilty, and I sold it 3 days later.

But that's just me cos I'm totally wierd. I think I'll build my own some day. Then it'll be exactly the way I want, and I'll only need that one.

I'm sure most pro's need several guitars to depend on if their main one breaks. There are, however, professionals who stuck to one or two guitars for a long time: look at Dimebag and his Dean from Hell, Brian May's Red Special, or Randy Rhoads and his Les Paul Custom.
Any more than 7 is getting a bit rediculous. I currently have 4, but I'm looking to sell one and get about 3 more.

EDIT: Actually it depends on the type of guitar. ERGs, its acceptable to have more than about 8, but those people who have like, 6 strats or something... just no.
Last edited by Tom_hatton at Jul 8, 2008,
Hmmm, it depends on how much you play. I you played a lot, like constantly, you could probably get away with having 4 or more. Well, if you play different genres.
If your a profressional, you will have tons of guitars, even if you don't use them. Mainly cause it's your job to have them and play them. And guitarists are usally endorsed to have a few aswell.

And who cares anyways? I wouldn't mind 5 guitars in every room in my house!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
If a man can afford to have 20 guitars, let it be. It's his money , it's his decisions. Who cares if he will not use them at all. It's all about what You need and like.
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
I love playing guitars, they are my passion. but i love guitars for more than how they sound. i love them for how they look and how they feel. every kind of guitar is different. i dont hav any 2 guitars which are the same. i know that im goin go end up being one of these people with over 30 guitars (i hav 15 just now and im 21), and you know what. i dont care lol.
MAIN GUITARS:
PRS Single Cut Trem
Ibanez PGM-301
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Taylor 12 String acoustic
Yamaha RBX 5string bass
MAIN AMP:
Hughes And Kettner Trilogy w/ 4x12 HnK cab
I'm probably going to end up with about 2-3 guitars, one of them 7-stringed. Maybe I'll buy a bass just for the heck of it. And a really nice acoustic guitar (if I can afford it, a Martin).
Quote by The Silent Fool
Have you seen John 5's telecaster collection? That is pretty damn close to, if not, overkill.

Have you seen Joe Perry's cellar? About 600 guitars, plus thousands of pedals.
I think when you have ones that you don't use....those are unnecessary. I have a cheap, but beautiful sounding acoustic, and two electrics. My less used one I still use for many things. I'm currently building a home studio, and I've found that the two electrics, layered, sound perfect.
Quote by RoamingConflict
If a man can afford to have 20 guitars, let it be. It's his money , it's his decisions. Who cares if he will not use them at all. It's all about what You need and like.

It's his money alright, and 20 guitars would be a waste of his money.

Second, a man doesn't NEED 20 guitars. He may want 20, but he doesn't need 20. There's a difference you know?
Quote by guitaruboy
i think your fine dude. you gear isn't really that great, so you don't need to worry about it

Thank you for the back handed compliment, tool.

Awesome of you.
GEAR:

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's his money alright, and 20 guitars would be a waste of his money.

Second, a man doesn't NEED 20 guitars. He may want 20, but he doesn't need 20. There's a difference you know?

Well yeah, but if a man wants something, he probably thinks that he needs it( not necessary though ). Anyways , i wouldn't buy more than 3 guitars. If someone really enjoys to have X guitars on his wall, then so be it, it's not like we could decide for him.
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
Quote by Dav23
When does it get to overkill?
I had 5 at one time, and am currently down to 3 and quite content.

3 is a good number IMHO. Should be enough for the average musician to get by with.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I've got about 9-10 of them. I can't sell them, though, because all of them but one (which I wouldn't sell) have been gifts to me, and I'd feel pretty rude to go and sell a guitar someone gave me. Most of them suck anyways, though... Only use 3 of them.
i think 2 is too many if your amp sucks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
i think 2 is too many if your amp sucks.

Very true.

In my opinion, however you need to get the job done is enough. I have the tendency to buy a guitar about every six months and I've only recently come to the conclusion that if i buy a guitar second hand i wont love it as much. You have to break em in yourself.
Trendiness!
ESP Eclipse II
Gibson Explorer
Ibanez RG2610e
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
I have three, two electric and one steel string acoustic. On my want list is:

a tele
a nylon string acoustic
a hard tail seven string
a Washburn HM guitar with active pickups

and I wouldn't mind having a 12 string acoustic.

That's eight distinctly different guitars and I'm sure I could go on. LOL
Quote by steven seagull
Too many?

this many

LOL, that is OBSCENE!
GEAR:

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Quote by Dav23
LOL, that is OBSCENE!

Truth is we're just jealous though
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I don't even care how many, I want to collect guitars as well as play them so I am just going to buy guitar after guitar.
Quote by steven seagull
Truth is we're just jealous though

Do you think he's played every one? Amazing. I'm a little green. Have to admit. However I'm not rich and have a child. new guitars come with caution...always.
GEAR:

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Page 1 of 3