Hey all,

I've recently bought a Marshall and I'm really digging the overdrive channel, but I find it lacking in the mid-gain kind of sound. It's great for that heavy, 2203 kind of sound but if I back the gain off to something a bit more in the Plexi territory, it lacks presence and sounds rather weak.

So... I've tried pushing the clean channel with an OD to get something like a Plexi kind of sound but I still feel that something is missing. I was thinking of getting a new OD, the one I have right now is a Japanese SD-1 and while it's great, it's pretty transparant and I wanted to colour my tone a bit more. I was thinking of getting something like a Marshall BB-2. Yay or Nay?

This is the tone I've managed to achieve with a bit of tweaking on the clean channel and the OD. http://boomp3.com/listen/byvd7jyfj_1/marsha

Sorry 'bout the quality.

Cheers!

What marshall is it?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
What marshall is it?

Quote by kckyle
sell the one you have and get a plexi . problem solved yay

I like the one I have now though! Just not for mid gain.
Buy another one and have two Marshall amps and look like a pro!

But seriously, I'd look into a MI Audio Crunch box. I hear they do the British plexi sound pretty well.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Buy another one and have two Marshall amps and look like a pro!

But seriously, I'd look into a MI Audio Crunch box. I hear they do the British plexi sound pretty well.

Yeah, I was looking at that or the Box of Rock. I find them a bit too grainy for what I need though. I really don't want to use too much preamp gain.
The bluesbreaker pedal might work for low - mid gain. It's worth a try...
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Any possibility of cranking the clean?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Any possibility of cranking the clean?

Yeah, it's not too pleasant from what I've heard. It has turd Sovteks in it, I'll swap the tubes out first and then see how the clean sounds pushed.
Doesn't it have a tube power section, and an SS preamp?

If so, i'd probably get some different power tubes in it and try cranking the clean channel. That should sound good for more mid-gain tones.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Wait, how many tubes does it contain...?

I just checked the schematic and if that's right then it's an SS preamp married to a 30w EL34 Poweramp using a 12AU7 driver tube? Eeek.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Doesn't it have a tube power section, and an SS preamp?

If so, i'd probably get some different power tubes in it and try cranking the clean channel. That should sound good for more mid-gain tones.

It does. Mosfet preamp.

Quote by MrCarrot
Wait, how many tubes does it contain...?

2 EL34 1 12AX7.
Misread sorry, yes a 12AX7.

....It's not going to sound like an old tube marshall. That is, in most respects, gonna sound like an SS amp I am sorry to say.
Maybe you should get a pedal with a pre-amp tube in it (one that runs at correct voltage, etc.).

I have no idea if you Blackstar sell stuff where you live, but there is similar stuff by AMT.

Just a suggestion.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by MrCarrot
Misread sorry, yes a 12AX7.

....It's not going to sound like an old tube marshall. That is, in most respects, gonna sound like an SS amp I am sorry to say.

Well, it sounded very tube like to me.

I know I won't be able to get an exact plexi tone out of it, I'm not looking for that, I'm just looking for a better mid gain kind of sound.

I'll swap the tubes and try some pedals.
yeah, it won't sound like a plexi.
But... if you swap out the power tubes for something better, you may like it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I wouldn't hold your breath on it sounding brilliant from a tube swap. Maybe a small improvement but not huge. Mosfet circuitry is gonna sound more tubelike than BJT circuitry but it's still not tube. Best solution would be get another amp, I hate to use the phrase polishing a turd but.... that's kinda what it is. I don't like the soundclips you've done of it
Quote by MrCarrot
I wouldn't hold your breath on it sounding brilliant from a tube swap. Maybe a small improvement but not huge. Mosfet circuitry is gonna sound more tubelike than BJT circuitry but it's still not tube. Best solution would be get another amp, I hate to use the phrase polishing a turd but.... that's kinda what it is. I don't like the soundclips you've done of it

Well, I believe it's a shared preamp, because there is a 12AX7 in there. It might be the phase inverter but if it's in the preamp, I'll see if I can get a mod done to bypass the MOSFET.

The sound clips were done on a really crappy mic mind you.
Yeah, but he may as well give it a shot.

Oh MrCarrot...
I posted in the ultimate speaker thread with some new findings, but it has fallen back quite a bit. Check my post on there and see what you think.

Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well, I believe it's a shared preamp, because there is a 12AX7 in there. It might be the phase inverter but if it's in the preamp, I'll see if I can get a mod done to bypass the MOSFET.

The sound clips were done on a really crappy mic mind you.
That's the phase inverter, the pre is all chips, i've seen the schem

^ Righto
Quote by MrCarrot
That's the phase inverter, the pre is all chips, i've seen the schem

^ Righto

I see! Oh well, it's not a big deal anyways. It sounds great regardless.

You'll have to hear this thing in person to really enjoy it. I'll mic it up one day and I'll bet you'll like it.
Given what you're looking to do it might actually be worth giving the Boss BD2 a try.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com