i have tried everything, but everytime i do one i hit the next string, i dont know if this is for the way i do it.... maybe i should mute it with a part of my finger but if i want to do that i need to move my wrist to the left so the side of my index for exmaple mutes the string and thats not good i guess and i dont know how to do it with the palm?

could some one explain me if i am doing it wrong how to do it? or if i need to mute it hwo to do it?
to do a decent pull off, just bend the string very very slightly, then just lift your finger of the string as you normally would.
Been away, am back
the ones that i cant really figure out are the pull off to open string like this:

------------------------------
-----3p0--------------------
press down on the 3rd fret, bend it very slightly, lift your finger completely off the string??

Its easy enough to do.
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
press down on the 3rd fret, bend it very slightly, lift your finger completely off the string??

Its easy enough to do.

yea i tried that but they sound too weak how do i do them louder if i can just bend slightly??

is there another way to do them muting the next string?

how do people play thunderstruck.. lol
Quote by Logz
make sure you have gain up.

sorry but.. have you seen the exercise finger gym??

well in that exercise you need to pick a fret and with hammerons and pull offs pick the other frets and all the notes should be the same loud, so you should be able to pick them loud enough even with an acoustic guitar.
Yes. But as a newbie, gain will help you out.
If you cant get it with gain high, its gonna be very hard to do it on an acoustic.
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
Yes. But as a newbie, gain will help you out.
If you cant get it with gain high, its gonna be very hard to do it on an acoustic.

Gain kinda covers up your mistakes a lot. Especially with this kind of stuff. I'm sorry, but I just disagree. You should not have your gain up when practicing hammer-ons/pull-offs.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Quote by Samothomas
Gain kinda covers up your mistakes a lot. Especially with this kind of stuff. I'm sorry, but I just disagree. You should not have your gain up when practicing hammer-ons/pull-offs.

i know could you help me?

how do i effectively do a pull off to a fretted note? without touching the next string, also how do i do pull offs to open strings?
Quote by alexcp94
i know could you help me?

how do i effectively do a pull off to a fretted note? without touching the next string, also how do i do pull offs to open strings?
Unless I'm pulling off the high E, I almost always touch the neighboring string, but it doesn't ring out. It just mutes that string. As for pulling off to an open string, you use the same kind of motion. Its like what the other guy said, pluck that string with your fretting finger.
Quote by alexcp94
i have tried everything, but everytime i do one i hit the next string, i dont know if this is for the way i do it.... maybe i should mute it with a part of my finger but if i want to do that i need to move my wrist to the left so the side of my index for exmaple mutes the string and thats not good i guess and i dont know how to do it with the palm?

could some one explain me if i am doing it wrong how to do it? or if i need to mute it hwo to do it?

You're doing it right. Your finger should hit the next string, unless there is a good reason for it not to- you get volume by pulling off almost in the plane of the fingerboard. But you need to stop your finger on the next string so that you don't make it sound as well. The principle is not that different from an RH rest stroke. Practice will make this clearer- the main point is that your finger pulls through the string that sounds and stops on the next one.
i have the same problems...idk try to mute the lower string with a different finger or something...not such a big deal imo...
Quote by mezzopiano
You're doing it right. Your finger should hit the next string, unless there is a good reason for it not to- you get volume by pulling off almost in the plane of the fingerboard. But you need to stop your finger on the next string so that you don't make it sound as well. The principle is not that different from an RH rest stroke. Practice will make this clearer- the main point is that your finger pulls through the string that sounds and stops on the next one.

mmm but how is it than for example in thunderstruck you dont see people with their fingers resting on the lower strings? how do they do that.
and if i do lets say a pull off and then want to play the lower string on the next fet i would waste a lot of time in that one.
Last edited by alexcp94 at Aug 12, 2008,
try pulling your the string as you take your finger off sorta liek dragging it in a way
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
So you can do pull offs, you just hit the other string and it makes noise.

So, to me, it seems you just need to work on muting the next string that you accidentally hit.

The more I am learning about playing guitar I find that learning how NOT to make noise is just as, if not more important than how to make noise.

Its all about controlling the beast....
Quote by Axe Murderer
So you can do pull offs, you just hit the other string and it makes noise.

So, to me, it seems you just need to work on muting the next string that you accidentally hit.

The more I am learning about playing guitar I find that learning how NOT to make noise is just as, if not more important than how to make noise.

Its all about controlling the beast....

how can i mute the strings when i do pull offs to open strings??
Even when I mute the string, there is still an audible noise when my finger brushes the muted string. This occurs when I have a good amount of gain on. Is that OK or is there any other way to prevent that? It seems like the best advice is to "do a pull off and try not to hit the other string."
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Just keep practising.

When you're pulling off, imagine it as the finger you're pulling off with is jolting very quickly, and in a very short space.

Whilst learning to mute the string below is a good idea (I'd do it by having my root finger slightly leaning against it), you really need to be able to do the pull off cleanly without muting strings too.
i was also wondering about pulloffs to open strings because if i stop the finger on the next string other strings still ring out that cant be muted by my palm
Quote by Samothomas

I find that kind of cliche. I think with gain, it's easier to make a mistake.
i just dont know how to not make noise , or what to mute the strings with.