i know that sending a tube amp into the clipping range isn't too healthy on the tubes, and most likely on the amp in general, but what about the speakers? also does it matter how much wattage they can handle does that have anything to do with damage?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
what do you mean by clipping?

if your talking about audio signal clipping... which is just distortion I dont know why your amp would not be able to handle it?

but if your putting more watts into a speaker then its made for, then you can get some nasty breakup and of course this is not good for speakers? But what would rock and roll be without signal clipping? LoL unless im just completly missing the mark here...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
If an SS amp clips they can blow speakers and burn out electronics. Were as tube amps are very resilient to eletronic abuse. So theres no need to worry with them. Also there are a few fail safes in place in most tube amps as well, that controls the amount of signal voltage sent to the tubes and if biased correctly there isnt an issue.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
If an SS amp clips they can blow speakers and burn out electronics. Were as tube amps are very resilient to eletronic abuse. So theres no need to worry with them. Also there are a few fail safes in place in most tube amps as well, that controls the amount of signal voltage sent to the tubes and if biased correctly there isnt an issue.

ah yeah i'm talking about tubes
and how clipping affects the speaker
anything else you can tell me about that? i just assumed the speakers were meant to handle that high amount of power (as with the amp), but my brother is thinking that "its not good" for the speakers
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Fail safes? wtf?

Anyway, some speakers overload gracefully, some don't. Don't push them too hard and you'll be fine, however a bit of speaker distortion makes the tones of a lot of brilliant vintage tones, like the AC15/AC30, JTM45 etc.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Fail safes? wtf?

Anyway, some speakers overload gracefully, some don't. Don't push them too hard and you'll be fine, however a bit of speaker distortion makes the tones of a lot of brilliant vintage tones, like the AC15/AC30, JTM45 etc.

Dictionary: fail-safe (fāl'sāf')
1. Capable of compensating automatically and safely for a failure, as of a mechanism or power source.

Hope that helps...

And next we can work on your...

Dictionary: attitude (ăt'ĭ-tūd', -tyūd')
1. An arrogant or hostile state of mind or disposition.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Dictionary: fail-safe (fāl'sāf')
1. Capable of compensating automatically and safely for a failure, as of a mechanism or power source.

Hope that helps...

And next we can work on your...

Dictionary: attitude (ăt'ĭ-tūd', -tyūd')
1. An arrogant or hostile state of mind or disposition.
Shut it smartarse. I have a rudimentary knowledge of English, thank you.

There wasn't even a hint of arrogance in my post, so if you're gonna go around being an accusative prick then I don't think there's any other way than for me to insult you.

If you must know, the reason I wrote that is because the only 'fail-safe' mechanism in a valve amp is a fuse, really. There's lots to go wrong. Your post made little sense. Of course a choke filter will make a difference but the vast majority of production modern amps omit these.

Prick.
Quote by MrCarrot
Shut it smartarse. I have a rudimentary knowledge of English, thank you.

There wasn't even a hint of arrogance in my post, so if you're gonna go around being an accusative prick then I don't think there's any other way than for me to insult you.

If you must know, the reason I wrote that is because the only 'fail-safe' mechanism in a valve amp is a fuse, really. There's lots to go wrong. Your post made little sense. Of course a choke filter will make a difference but the vast majority of production modern amps omit these.

Prick.

Dude almost every single post you make after mine you always have something negative to say your constantly looking for posts and post up smart remarks. Even in this post you could have just said what do you mean by fail safes the wtf remark wasn't needed. Or just answered the TS's question instead of coming at me then answering the question. Which is what your notorious for doing.

And to answer your question, tube amps have alot of things built into them to control voltage amounts and make sure they stay in check. Rather it be signal level voltage running to the preamps or preamp output voltage out to the power amp and then voltage is also controlled before it hits the tube itself. Also biasing an amp is another form of fail safing an amp to make sure the tubes are not running hot. All of these checks and balances are in place protecting the amp from harm. Remove them and amp will fail given to much voltage to any one component.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Dude almost every single post you make after mine you always have something negative to say your constantly looking for posts and post up smart remarks. Even in this post you could have just said what do you mean by fail safes the wtf remark wasn't needed. Or just answered the TS's question instead of coming at me then answering the question. Which is what your notorious for doing.

And to answer your question, tube amps have alot of things built into them to control voltage amounts and make sure they stay in check. Rather it be signal level voltage running to the preamps or preamp output voltage out to the power amp and then voltage is also controlled before it hits the tube itself. Also biasing an amp is another form of fail safing an amp to make sure the tubes are not running hot. All of these checks and balances are in place protecting the amp from harm. Remove them and amp will fail given to much voltage to any one component.

*Cartwheels in*

I wonder why.

*Cartwheels out*
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
*Cartwheels in*

I wonder why.

*Cartwheels out*

Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Oh i'm sorry, I didn't realise a volt applied to a 12AX7's grid could damage it, especially when they often run with an excess of 100v or more on the anode, I should be more careful not to succumb to your mighty wit and argument.

I could point out more blatant mistakes in that, but I choose not to.

Instead, I choose to annoy you again.