Hey guys,

Ive played bass for a year and felt its time to spread my musical wings over to the electric guitar side.

Im a university student and at the moment I am on a tight budget around the £200 mark ($400).

I like the look of the Ibanez RG series and have the IBANEZ RG321MH-WK in mind.

Would you say this guitar is worth getting.

Or do you know of one better for the budget?

Thanks so much
You should probably start on something really cheap and crappy since you are a beginner instead of getting a RG Ibanez, like a Squire or department store guitar. Then get the more expensive one in a year or so if you decide to stay with guitar.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
You should probably start on something really cheap and crappy since you are a beginner instead of getting a RG Ibanez, like a Squire or department store guitar. Then get the more expensive one in a year or so if you decide to stay with guitar.

No. Why learn on a piece of crap when you could get something decent? Getting a crap guitar might actually discourage him from playing.
Jackson has some really good starter model guitars. The JS30RR I had was my first guitar and it played wonderfully. Plus it was only $289 wih a gig bag.
Quote by shreddin_frets
I've never played guiar before. Is it communist?

Quote by HeavyMetaldude
Now how should i dispose of the poo stick?
This guitar looks awesome. i'm french and I've seen the reviews on a french site (audiofanzine.fr) and they're all good. The only thing is that they nearly all put high quality pickups but the original ones should do for you.
yeah dude, an ibanez sounds like a great starter guitar

that or a crafter or epiphone?
schecter guitars a great value and are real easy playing for a beginner.......one piece of advice though no matter what guitar you get. DO NOT GET A FLOYD ROSE OR ANY KIND OF FLOATING/SPRING BRIDGE.....there are more complaints about that from beginners than anything else and using one properly is something for a polished guitarist.....it would just be a pain in the ass for a beginner.
^ i dunno about that. I agree with not getting a floyd (as any at that price will suck), but a fender-style trem can be set to non-floating, which isn't a problem if you ask me.

Quote by -Blue-
No. Why learn on a piece of crap when you could get something decent? Getting a crap guitar might actually discourage him from playing.

agreed. considering he already plays bass, there's a pretty good chance he'll stick with guitar.

what type of music do you play, willsi? is that £200 for just the guitar, or amp too? How flexible is the budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sowhat360
schecter guitars a great value and are real easy playing for a beginner.......one piece of advice though no matter what guitar you get. DO NOT GET A FLOYD ROSE OR ANY KIND OF FLOATING/SPRING BRIDGE.....there are more complaints about that from beginners than anything else and using one properly is something for a polished guitarist.....it would just be a pain in the ass for a beginner.

if he plays bass hes not totally guitar illiterate
instruments:
B.C Rich Warlock-Body Art Collection-June 2003
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Squire Strat (way sweeter than it sounds)
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet