Ok i want to get this straight before i buy my new amp. A lot of poeple say the line 6 spiders are great and lots of people say they are crap. Websites give them good ratings but UG gives them hell.
I tried the Marshall MG50 in a shop and the distortion wasnt great. I then tried the line 6 spider III 75 watt and it had great distortion for metal, lots of features and it was also cheaper than the marshall. Also comes with a wah pedal if you pay extra for a foot pedal. I couldnt see what was wrong with it and nor could the guy in the shop.

I also have a boss metal core which i use in my marshall mg15 and it sounds like the same distortion as the line 6 insane setting which is a sound i like at the moment.

No 'spiders are crap, they suck' or 'noob' things please because that doesnt help. i want sensible answers so i can make my choice.

Thanks
How about the searchbar? That way, we don't have to rinse and repeat every single thing we say in every single Spider thread. Yeah?
The people that rate them on websites that sell them are just noob guitarist who just bought it and don't know tone at all.

The Spider sounds like bees in a box, the distortion is undefined, muddy and overall just crappy sounding. The only thing it does decent is lower gain stuff imo. The lower wattage ones are decent for the price but once you start going up in price, it's the exact same practice amp, just with more wattage.

No offense to you or anything, but if you think the boss metal core into a MG sounds good, then your ear has definitely not developed yet to know good tone.

If you want a good Line 6, I'd suggest you look for a used Flextone as they're MILES better than the Spider.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you have an MG10, don't get a Spider. Save up a bit more and your upgrade will be worth it.
I recommend getting a different amp.

I guess the Roland Cube of the Vox Valvetronix will be a MUCH better option.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by MatrixClaw
The people that rate them on websites that sell them are just noob guitarist who just bought it and don't know tone at all.

The Spider sounds like bees in a box, the distortion is undefined, muddy and overall just crappy sounding. The only thing it does decent is lower gain stuff imo. The lower wattage ones are decent for the price but once you start going up in price, it's the exact same practice amp, just with more wattage.

No offense to you or anything, but if you think the boss metal core into a MG sounds good, then your ear has definitely not developed yet to know good tone.

If you want a good Line 6, I'd suggest you look for a used Flextone as they're MILES better than the Spider.

+1, Flextones are awesome, Spiders are not
Save for a Randall RG30TC if you like metal, you won't regret it
ohai little sig.
Quote by Simsimius
I recommend getting a different amp.

I guess the Roland Cube of the Vox Valvetronix will be a MUCH better option.

The valvetronix is just a really loud spider amp, in my experiences at least.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by Demonikk
+1, Flextones are awesome, Spiders are not
Save for a Randall RG30TC if you like metal, you won't regret it

can you send a link to this 'RG30TC'?

It's RG50TC...
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
ive only heard bad on the sound, im playing it safe and scraping movey for a vox ad50vt, as sound what that amp is about.

If you want that heavy high gain sound ive heard line 6 are perfect though, maybe the sound complaints only apply to the cleans.

all i'd say is to go in to the shop and muck about with it: at the end of the day, its YOU who will use it, not any of us people. make sure also you play it through a similar guitar to yours (not the £200,000 one in the shop, unless thats what you own) since the guitar makes the sound. If you love the amp, go get it. ive heard NOTHING wrong with line 6 in terms of reliability
Quote by Vandals572
can you send a link to this 'RG30TC'?

It's RG50TC...

Thought I've seen a 30-watt version?
Must be mistaken
ohai little sig.
Quote by Demonikk
Thought I've seen a 30-watt version?
Must be mistaken

Haha I just searched it on google and there was ONE result and it was some random guy saying he had one but idk

but anyway the RG50TC would be a great choice if you can save your money farther. If not then try out what everyone else said
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Vandals572
Haha I just searched it on google and there was ONE result and it was some random guy saying he had one but idk

but anyway the RG50TC would be a great choice if you can save your money farther. If not then try out what everyone else said

Ahh my bad, I was thinking of the Laney VC30
ohai little sig.
Quote by goo94
ive only heard bad on the sound, im playing it safe and scraping movey for a vox ad50vt, as sound what that amp is about.

If you want that heavy high gain sound ive heard line 6 are perfect though, maybe the sound complaints only apply to the cleans.

all i'd say is to go in to the shop and muck about with it: at the end of the day, its YOU who will use it, not any of us people. make sure also you play it through a similar guitar to yours (not the £200,000 one in the shop, unless thats what you own) since the guitar makes the sound. If you love the amp, go get it. ive heard NOTHING wrong with line 6 in terms of reliability

thanks for advice. i took my guitar with me to try it because i changed the pickup in mine so its not the stock ones
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
How about the searchbar? That way, we don't have to rinse and repeat every single thing we say in every single Spider thread. Yeah?

this is the most beautiful thing i've heard in this thread
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Spiders and MGs both have reliability issues. And comparing spiders and MGs in a shop really isnt comparing. Like saying one rotten banana is better than another rotten banana. All the shops want to carry the high profit spider and MGs. Place in my city spider is all they carry and cant keep em in stock. They just make alot more profit than on slower a moving tube amp. As a practice amp not to terrible of an investment but anything more than the 15 watt is throwing money away.
Can't say I'm that satisfied with my Line 6...
Great starter amp though.
Quote by shredhead22
this is the most beautiful thing i've heard in this thread

I'm honored.

TS, if you want a good modeller, check out the Vox Valvetronix series or the Roland Cubes.

I say just save up for a good tube amp though.
I use to own the very amp you are looking at.

Spider 3's aren't bad amps. For a beginner they offer a lot of nice features and many different tones. The tones it offers though are a bit thin. For the money you can get much better sounding amps. On UG the Roland Cube and Vox AD series (excluding the XL) get generally favorable reviews. The model up from the Spider, the Flextone had much better tone and much better effects.
my friend left his spider amp at my house I forget what model because I have no idea what line6 models there are, it wasn't a small amp though, probably about 75 watts. Anyways I had some time with it, I felt that the distortion was scratchy and it clicked a lot whereas on most amps the distortion is always solid. The other setting weren't as bad though the clean channels sounded nice IMO.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
I actually have the Line 6 Spider 3 150 watt head.. and im very pleased the only things i dont like is, it gets hot REAL fast and also most of the presets sound the same after a while lmao
Quote by sacamano79
The valvetronix is just a really loud spider amp, in my experiences at least.

That makes no sense to me, seeing as they make the spiders in 1500000 watt versions where as the valvetronix are more commonly just the 15, 30 or 50.

Besides they are much better amps with much better modelling and effects, the spider 15 watter is fine for just a jamming/practice amp, but if your actually looking into something worthwhile, look elsewhere.

The voxes and cubes are great for the money.
Quote by Detonation
I actually have the Line 6 Spider 3 150 watt head.. and im very pleased the only things i dont like is, it gets hot REAL fast and also most of the presets sound the same after a while lmao

i really don't think they are supposed to heat up... at least i've never known a solid state to get hot.

also becky, there is a 100 watt combo and halfstack version of the valvetronix, but the difference between the valvetronix and the spider is the valvetronix is actually gig-worthy and doesn't sound like total arse when cranked up to full - i've tried it. There's also the AD120VT, but thats a more high-end modeller, probably intended to be in competition with the line 6 flextone.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Dude do yourself a favor and go to a shop. i went yesterday to GC and like you was looking for the spider3, vox valtronic and roland cubes. I walked out with an american made Crate v1512 class a tube for 199.00. which was the same price as both the vox and roland 15watt amps
Quote by Blompcube
i really don't think they are supposed to heat up... at least i've never known a solid state to get hot.

also becky, there is a 100 watt combo and halfstack version of the valvetronix, but the difference between the valvetronix and the spider is the valvetronix is actually gig-worthy and doesn't sound like total arse when cranked up to full - i've tried it. There's also the AD120VT, but thats a more high-end modeller, probably intended to be in competition with the line 6 flextone.

I know they make them, im just pointing out they dont ake em in ridiculous wattages normally for no reason when 50 watt is perfectly gigable.
I think that the Spiders are pretty good. I've had my 120 watt Spider III for about 9 months, and haven't had a problem with it yet. I took some time to play with the presets, but didn't really like them so I made some custom tones which are working out great. As with any amp you'll need to sit down and tweak things to your likings. Some pretty great tones and effects can be had if you take the time to make some custom settings.
Well I have a Spider III 30, it died basically. It turns on but none of the channel lights light up or anything if i turn it off i can hear the speaker pop as it turns off but other than that there is now sound comming out from the amp. I never really liked the amp :/ the insane distortion is pretty messy the metal channel always sounds too soft and when its too loud it just sounds crappy, I didnt use the crunch channel much but the clean was nice
i did the same thing the threadstarter is asking about, had a mg10 the went and bought a spider. At first i thought it was a great amp and had no problems with it, but after a while you realise that the distortion is buzzy and no real sound to it and even if you put pedals in front of it on one of the cleans because they arnt true cleans they sound like ****e.
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
im having the same problem as you deciding, i got kindof rushed and bought the Spider III 75 like 2 days ago. i play a little metal and for that its sounds pretty good but for classic rock like AC/DC it comes with a back in black, highway to hell and TNT preset. IMO all three of these presets sound like garbage and i have yet to find a good setting on it for a sound like AC/DC and other classic sounds. The crunch distortion setting is pretty much useless. Im prolly going to end up returning it for a Vox AD30VT, its half the wattage but from the reviews its getting on here, it sounds like its worth it seeing as how i dont gig and pretty much stick to the bedroom. The effects and presets are on the Spider III are only there to cover up the ****ty tone, half the time it sounds like someone has stuck a blanket over my amp. Unless you play only metal then dont go for the spiders, im prolly going back to long and mcquade to bring mine back soon too trade it in for something else. Ne one got other suggestions? so far the voxs look the best, i play mostly bands like AC/DC, metallica, black sabbath, Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, GNR and Sex Pistols, but also like having the effects for when i get bored...also needs to have a good clean tone
Last edited by d0uga11 at Jul 12, 2008,
spiders are great if ur just starting out because u have everything right there. but u compared a spider with an mg both amps do guitars no justice. u be better off spending ur money n a decent cube.

its a shame my guitar teacher has an amazing gibson firebird the things amazing and it feels perfect but he plays it through a spider also he thinks gibsons make the best guitars in the world and dosnt consider any other guitars when ur shopping for an expensive one but enough with my rant hes a cool guy and a great guitarist.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Test some of the amps that are suggested here. Other than that, buy whatever you think sounds good to you. Don't pay too much attention on all the opinions floating on UG, most of them don't have really listened for themselves or don't know how to EQ an amp.