I have a fender deluxe rever tube amp, with treble set to 7 and bass at 6,
running to a pod xt live,
it models a ts808 tubescreamer set at gain=9, tone=5 drive = about 4
The expresison pedal is used as a volume pedal after the overdrive, the toe being full power volume from my board, and the heel programmed to be about 75% so i have my rythm volume and when i push to the toe i have lead

I placed the volume after to preserve a little dirt on my rythm play

Is this a good idea? or should i look at another technique?

we have a gig saturday at a local arena, meaning ill probably be able to crank my amp and the sound man will control my total volume with his kit, or should i go for a more controled volume?

EDIT: guitar is american series G&L Legacy
Last edited by ferguson911 at Jul 8, 2008,
Quote by enemy120
whatever sounds good to ur ears, there is no wong in music

but is it a technique used often? or am i just crazy :P
there are always different techniques used, try different things, but if u like it like u have it i think there wont be a problem
Sounds like a good way to do it to me, it's something I've considered doing before.

EDIT: Make sure you tell the soundman what you're doing with your volume pedal when you soundcheck and be prepared to re-program the minimum volume a bit, I think going from 75% to 100% might be a little too much.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Jul 8, 2008,
Quote by enemy120
there are always different techniques used, try different things, but if u like it like u have it i think there wont be a problem

and for the sound check i jsut put my volume to the end i imagine?

as to not be louder than everyone else?
What you're using does work I've had to do it before however I was using a nice Morley volume pedal and it worked like a charm to give it that boost for the solo
Quote by ferguson911
and for the sound check i jsut put my volume to the end i imagine?

as to not be louder than everyone else?

Your best bet is to do a quick full-band soundcheck and kick in your lead volume halfway through just to make sure it works. If you can only soundcheck once, soundcheck your rhythm sound so you'll sit in with the rest of the band nicely.

My Music
well i think the sound man wants our maximum volume, as when we dont lead we drop down our volume we have a good amount of time to sound check
Quote by timi_hendrix
Sounds like a good way to do it to me, it's something I've considered doing before.

EDIT: Make sure you tell the soundman what you're doing with your volume pedal when you soundcheck and be prepared to re-program the minimum volume a bit, I think going from 75% to 100% might be a little too much.

thats what i was fearing, i probably will bring it to 85 or 90 all depending
Quote by ferguson911
well i think the sound man wants our maximum volume, as when we dont lead we drop down our volume we have a good amount of time to sound check

Well if you have a good amount of time soundcheck a whole song with your volume changes in. If you only soundcheck your lead tone then you might end up being too quiet.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Well if you have a good amount of time soundcheck a whole song with your volume changes in. If you only soundcheck your lead tone then you might end up being too quiet.

true, but the thing is some songs have lead over vocals so i dont want to squish the vocals , is this my problem or the soudmans?
Quote by ferguson911
true, but the thing is some songs have lead over vocals so i dont want to squish the vocals , is this my problem or the soudmans?

If you're playing lead stuff whilst the vocals are going on I'd just leave your volume on the rhythm setting, and maybe add some reverb or delay to soften the sound a bit so you don't clash with your singer.

Have a good chat to the soundman at the gig, he'll probably have some helpful tips on how you can get the best sound.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
If you're playing lead stuff whilst the vocals are going on I'd just leave your volume on the rhythm setting, and maybe add some reverb or delay to soften the sound a bit so you don't clash with your singer.

Have a good chat to the soundman at the gig, he'll probably have some helpful tips on how you can get the best sound.

well its during sweet child o mine, and what i know of the lead is very present inthat song

IMO the soundman will put the instruments lower than the vocals