Well for those of you who frequent these forums you may remember my post about not being able to decide between the 50's classic vibe strat and the classic vibe duosonic. After a lot of reading, looking, and thinking I decided on the duosonic. My reason for doing so was that for one I wasn't a fan of the 2-tone sunburst on the strat and second that I wanted a guitar that is different from what we see everyday. After purchasing the duosonic I had a little buyers remorse and wished I had ordered the strat simply because I miss my olympic white MIA that I recently sold. That was until I received the duosonic yesterday...

I apologize for the poor quality of pictures and the nasty frat house background but it is the best I could muster. I figured some pictures are better than none! There is a review and 2 more pics in the following post.
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Alvarez FD-60 acoustic electric- $295 obo (perfect condition, amber finish)
Lindy Fralin Blues Special Strat pickups (as set, perfect condition) - $175 obo

PM me if you are interested!

Now that you have seen pictures of the beauty I will give you a quick review (keep in mind I am a beginner player). I consider myself pretty picky with the playability of a guitar so keep that in mind when reading.

I received the guitar and it was well packed. The minute I unwrapped her I was surprised by how clean the finish looks. This definitely does not look like a Squier. I have played more Squiers than I care to mention and even the VM series do not compare to the quality of construction that seems to have been put into this guitar. There are a couple of aspects of the quality of this guitar that I think are worth mentioning:

1. The fret edges are buttery smooth. This is an aspect of a guitar that I must have. I am picky about this and even the slightest amount of roughness would cause me to send it back. Not the case with the duosonic!
2. The finish on the body is superb. I own an affinity tele and the finish on this is worlds above that. The finish looks as nice as the finish on my MIA did. I would say it is easily on par with MIMs that I have taken a gander at.
3. The glossed neck is beautiful. I was a bit disappointed that they didn’t do the tinted neck on the duosonic like they did on the strat and tele. After receiving the guitar I am thoroughly impressed. It has some tint to it (in other words it isn’t that pale, nasty, colorless maple color that many of the MIMs and squiers come with). Secondly I have played other gloss finish Fender necks before and not liked them. I played a reverse headstock 60’s strat and did not like the neck. This duosonic is a different story. The neck is wonderful.
4. The tuners are awesome. I thought the vintage tuners looked cheesy on the MF website pictures but in person they look nothing less than classy. I also like it when tuners have a somewhat tight feel to them when you are tuning them. These tuners do hold the guitar in tune well (keep in mind I have only had it for 24 hours).

Those initial reactions aside, I will try to give you a more in depth review:

Neck and Strings: As I already mentioned, the neck is very impressive. Stock out of the box, the action was set high and a bit sloppy for my taste. If you are not someone who feels comfortable adjusting this sort of stuff, then you may want to factor in another $10-20 for a pro set up at your local shop. To me this is no big deal at all as I like working on my rigs but it should be mentioned as a possible negative. I was able to get the action set and intonation pretty close (as close as you can with a 3 saddle bridge) in about 10minutes. I like a very low action and have never been able to obtain as low an action as I like on any guitar except the MIA strat I had and sold about a month ago…until now. I can’t say enough about this neck, WOW, I can go as low as I want with the action and zero fret buzz after the strings are tuned properly! Big props to Squier for that!

Another interesting note is that I have never purchased a Fender/Squier that didn’t come stock with Bullets. It appears that the classic vibe series comes stock with D’Addario 9/42’s. That is a big plus as I was already fretting (no pun intended) having to play the stock bullets for a week or two until payday when I could replace them with D’Addario or EB 10’s. The only thing worth noting is that I hate how sometimes when a guitar is strung from the factory they string it in a manner that doesn’t hold tune very well. They did this with the Duosonic. I always use the over/under method and it works without flaw. They used the insert the head of the string into the tuning peg method. Not a big deal but I feel that if I am going to praise the guitar this much I should point out the negatives as well.

As far as the frets go, I already mentioned that the fret edges are smooth and there is no fret buzz anywhere. I know there is talk of some people liking the medium jumbo frets and others not. I have not played enough to know the difference so to me it all feels good.

The nut appears to be plastic but also is cut well and doesn’t seem to have been cut too low or too high. I am not an expert here but I figure if I can set the action this low with no problems, all is good.

Another side note, Squier did a good job of not making the truss rod adjustment hole look cheesy.

Components: I thought I would take a minute to quickly address the quality of the components on this guitar. The bridge and saddles look phenomenal. I figured this would be a place that Squier would have skimped on. They are very smooth and the bridge looks like glass. Beauty! The saddles work well and the setscrews are not hard to turn.

The gold anodized pickguard is in fact metal and looks awesome. I love gold pickguards! For those who are wondering, it is a 12-bolt pattern. The pickups are attached to the pickguard much like a strat making for easy adjustment of the pickup height. I like this feature.

The pickup selector switch is nice. I like the 3-way up/down toggle switch. Although I know some people don’t like the switch to be so far forward on the guitar, I like it. I think it makes it easier to access. My complaint with this switch is that there is a bit of a pop from time to time when I switch from the middle to the neck pickup. Although it shouldn’t be an issue when playing, I do suspect something will have to be opened up and possibly replaced so I don’t lose access to that neck pickup.

The knobs look nice. I like the tele style knobs (not the ugly strat style knobs). The volume knob is nice and is easy to pinky spin to give a slight “wah” effect. I don’t use this when playing but I know some of you do. The tone knob does have a lot of effect on tone so I wouldn’t call it cheesy. I use my tone knob all the time and I like this one. My only complaint with the knobs (and this is being pretty picky) is that just like every Squier I have ever owned, seen, and played, the volume knob sits slightly canted. When I say slightly I mean it as you cannot tell by simply looking at it. If you watch closely as you slowly turn it, you will notice.

Pickups: The pickups look nice. The covers on them are vintage worn and look nice with the color scheme. I have only had this for a day so I want to give a more in depth review on the pickups later but so far I am impressed. The bridge pickup reminds most of the middle setting on a strat. It has a nice clean tone all around and is not harsh. I really like the bridge pickup. The middle position on this guitar is awesome. It has a little more beef than the bridge by itself and sounds great. I would imagine doing most of my playing on this selector. My only complaint thus far with the pickups is the neck pup. It is kind of muddy and extremely bassy. I think once I get an hour or two to adjust the pickup heights of each pickup I will be getting some better tones. Although the neck pickup doesn’t satisfy me yet these pickups are still not bad. I would put them on par with lower priced MIM guitars (MIM standards, tex mex, etc).

It should be noted that I was jamming around while writing this review and my roommate/drummer asked if I was playing a new guitar. I replied that I was and he immediately said that he could tell as the guitar sounded awesome. I then showed him the new axe and he said it looks “badass, like something Ryan Adams would play.”

Lastly, I have never seen a single coil guitar that is this quiet. Even when I am not split between two pups this thing is silent! Even my MIA was a noisy beast. Props to squier!

Hopefully that gives you guys a better idea of this guitar. Feel free to ask questions. I will do some playing and see if I can’t get some sound clips of it up or something…so long as you guys don’t mind my terrible playing. Enjoy!
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Ya that is the plan. I plan to change out the saddles to those nice ones that make intonation adjustment easier (can't remember the brand name). Also this will eventually be repainted either to a fiesta red, olympic white, or some sort of blue (maybe a duller sonic blue...nothing too bright). Surf green is in the back of my mind. I may pick another one of these buggers down the road to do some additional mods to. I am going to take the pickguard off next time I change the strings and see if it is routed for a humbucker in the bridge.
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Nice, saw it on TDPRI, but I never got around to posting.

So, looks kick-ass, wish I could afford one, and good choice. As if I wasn't GASsing for the Tele already, I got this over my shoulder.
Nice Duosonic!

For the record, do you visit the OSG forums? If you don't know what that means, then I'm assuming you don't go there, lol.

I feel like I have read that review before, especially on the part about the glossy necks. Either you are from OSG, or I'm going crazy, lol.
Just an update. I still love this guitar. Absolutely amazing. I couldn't be happier and I love having something that not everyone has. I am simply amazed at how comfortable the neck is and more so that the pickups are dead silent. No hum whatsoever!

As far as OSG goes, yes I post there fairly often although I check the boards daily. As for tdpri, that is my hangout of choice although I must say this guitar has replaced the tele as my "crush".
~Nick
FOR SALE: