I've been playing for a year now and I've been wanting a new guitar or amp for a while now. I'm not sure which one I really need more though. I mostly only practice at home, so I don't really play with my friends much. So I'm thinking my amp should be ok. but I don't know if my guitar is good or not. If someone could offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Price Range: $200-300?(the cheaper the better)

Sorry, I'm on a budget and my parents won't allow my to use any more even if I save up.....

I play mostly thrash metal, rock, blues but I also like nice clean sounds

Gear
VV
Guitars
Douglas WRL595, ESP LTD EC-50, 60's Partscaster
Amps
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Vet30
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
Last edited by Don Tonberry at Jul 8, 2008,
epiphone anything is always a good mid/ high class guitar for the money, i like the gold top, the pickups are really bright and have nice tone im playing trough a spider II so youd probaby have a similar tone
Well for a $99 guitar the Dean Vendetta XM ain't to shabby, but for serious playing you need to upgrade. Look for something in the $400-$1000 range and post back if you still need help deciding.
It would also help if we knew what type of music your into.
Why don't you start by listing your gear, so that we could give advice accordingly, then a budget and finally what you want to do with that gear tech or style-wise.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
if you really want a new guitar i agree with the guy above me go with a epi les paul. great guitars for the price however i think you will be happier in the long run if you get a nice amp.
for 2-300 dollars ampwise there's not much variety. You would probably have to settle for a roland cube. If you REALLY want to improve your sound, you're gonna have to save up for a better amp. If you're only practicing, then you don't really need a new 200 dollar amp. Guitar-wise, you also don't really have much selection at 2-300 dollars. Even if you got a great guitar, a crappy amp would defeat the purpose of having one.
Quote by beadhangingOne
for 2-300 dollars ampwise there's not much variety. You would probably have to settle for a roland cube. If you REALLY want to improve your sound, you're gonna have to save up for a better amp. If you're only practicing, then you don't really need a new 200 dollar amp. Guitar-wise, you also don't really have much selection at 2-300 dollars. Even if you got a great guitar, a crappy amp would defeat the purpose of having one.

What should I do then? I am clueless on this whole thing
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
i hate to say it but keep your Spider and upgrade your guitar.

do you like the shape of your Dean? what don't you like about it. what do you like about it?

Can you go used and do you have access to major metros off Craigslist.com?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i hate to say it but keep your Spider and upgrade your guitar.

do you like the shape of your Dean? what don't you like about it. what do you like about it?

Can you go used and do you have access to major metros off Craigslist.com?

Well the shape of my Dean is just a double cutaway, similar to a Strat so I'm fine with that. The pickups, bridge, tuners, etc. are kinda cheap. That's the only bad thing about it. I could go on Craigslist but I 'm not much of a used gear fan.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Epiphone Valve Junior Half Stack, you just need a pedal.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
That or Fender Frontman 65R 65W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp, it has nice overdrive.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1

Yes, but not for metal. And 65W is a lot for practicing. I hardly ever go past 2
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Quote by lespaul#1

I have a Frontman and that is the last thing I would recommend right now.

Does he like his Spider? That is the question. If so, either upgrade your guitar hardware or get a new guitar.
Quote by beadhangingOne

WRONG a amp may make him sound better BUT a new guitar may be better for him it will feel nicer for him to play
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Quote by Dan shreds
WRONG a amp may make him sound better BUT a new guitar may be better for him it will feel nicer for him to play

Exactly. And I didn't mean - LIKE the Spider - I meant tolerate it for now. I figured he wants to prolly change both but if you're not happy with what your hands are touching it may make you less likely to play or practice - even if it is psychological.

word
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have a Frontman and that is the last thing I would recommend right now.

Does he like his Spider? That is the question. If so, either upgrade your guitar hardware or get a new guitar.

The Spider's cleans and low gain sounds are pretty good (good not great) to my untrained ears. The high gain models sound ok but it could be better. Anyway, I have been GASing for a while and a new guitar would probably make me want to play more. So maybe a distortion pedal (not sure, it could be a waste) and a new guitar(upgrading my current guitar would probably cost the same as a new one I want)? I want to make sure I make a good decision.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Quote by Don Tonberry
The Spider's cleans and low gain sounds are pretty good (good not great) to my untrained ears. The high gain models sound ok but it could be better. Anyway, I have been GASing for a while and a new guitar would probably make me want to play more. So maybe a distortion pedal (not sure, it could be a waste) and a new guitar(upgrading my current guitar would probably cost the same as a new one I want)? I want to make sure I make a good decision.

Ok wait. Do you want to get a better sound?
Quote by beadhangingOne
Ok wait. Do you want to get a better sound?

I want better high gain sounds, but it's not necessary because nobody's going to hear it.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Quote by Don Tonberry
I want better high gain sounds, but it's not necessary because nobody's going to hear it.

Well personally, I wouldn't do anything at all. If you only spend $2-300 on an amp OR a guitar, hi-gain sounds won't be all that much better.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Well personally, I wouldn't do anything at all. If you only spend $2-300 on an amp OR a guitar, hi-gain sounds won't be all that much better.

Exactly, so is the guitar idea good? Or should I just stick to my Dean?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Quote by Don Tonberry
Exactly, so is the guitar idea good? Or should I just stick to my Dean?

Your amp affects your tone way more than a guitar ever could.

If you don't like your guitar, and I mean regarding its playability (the neck, the frets, bridge, how comfortable it is, weight, etc) then get a guitar that feels better for you.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Your amp affects your tone way more than a guitar ever could.

If you don't like your guitar, and I mean regarding its playability (the neck, the frets, bridge, how comfortable it is, weight, etc) then get a guitar that feels better for you.

Is it worth getting a 5W tube amp right now? People have said it's not worth it replacing a practice amp with a practice amp. I'll look into how my guitar plays, though.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Quote by Don Tonberry
Is it worth getting a 5W tube amp right now?

Well, you said you played thrash metal among other things, I don't know how you're going to get that sound unless you get an od pedal to go with it.
Well. As I have posted for another person wanting to upgrade guitar/amp with a small budget, I would like to show you this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVyroY5mCME

It proves that the majority of your tone comes from your hands/skill/experience. So I say get a better guitar, for the feel of it. It can do wonders for your will to play. And then, you can get better at playing, which leads to better tone.

Here's a guitar suggestion btw. Check it out. It looks like a good deal.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kramer-Striker-Custom-FR424CM-Electric-Guitar?sku=515347
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Last edited by Chance125 at Jul 8, 2008,
Quote by Chance125
Well. As I have posted for another person wanting to upgrade guitar/amp with a small budget, I would like to show you this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVyroY5mCME

It proves that the majority of your tone comes from your hands/skill/experience. So I say get a better guitar, for the feel of it. It can do wonders for your will to play. And then, you can get better at playing, which leads to better tone.

Thanks for the advice, I think that's what I'll do
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
I edited my last post. Check out the link to the guitar. It looks like a good deal for your budget.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
You could maybe look into a used palomino or something. Roland cube maybe? The Vendetta is ok but the spider is the real problem