neck
body
I'm thinking this for my first custom build, but does anyone know a cheaper place to get these? And I don't know anything about which type of wood is best so I need help with that.
ebay or make 'em urself
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
wood is personal preference and budget. for a first build, a painted poplar body won't cost a lot to make and it's a nice wood to work with.

warmoth has nice (but pricey) stuff. The neck you wont get much cheaper... try carvin.com

if you want to build yourself but dont have the tools to do it, your first build could cost you almost $2000 usd.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
^ s**t that's a good price. i'd jump on that if i were you.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
I dont know of anywhere else in the world you can ge the variety and quality. All your gonna find elsewhere are crap quality strat and tele bodys and necks. Your best bet would be to get someone to make you one if you cant do it yourself. But then your probably gonna be paying more than you would at Warmoth.

As far as wood choice goes theres a good guide on the warmoth site. To keep it simple, for a fender type guitar think maple, alder or ash and for a Gibson think mahogany, maple, korina.
Warmoth prices arent really that high. Some places are just to low. If you bought the material and made the neck or body your self you would see their prices arent to bad. And warmoth gives you the options most places wont. There are cheaper bodies but only in standard shapes and standard set up. An iceman body isnt going to be to easy to find much less one in korina or walnut etc routed for what ever wammy you want to install.
here is a rough idea
It doesn't look very good because I used GIMP (because I'm at my dads) and I just downloaded it. I usually use Photoshop, so its quite a bit different.
GIMP is a free image editing program.. It has layer capabilities, but I don't really like it.