Hey guys, I have a Mesa Roadster and I never get to crank it loud when I'm at home.. I use it on the 50W setting and I was wondering if I could pull some tubes to decrease the volume by hopefully a lot. Is there a safe way of doing this? If so, how? Thanks. Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I think you'd be able to pull the inner or outer pair, not 100% though so wait for someone else to verify that.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
No need to pull tubes. You need an attenuator.

Here's a couple. But keep in mind these are high end. There are cheaper ones that work just as well

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Power-Attenuators-Guitar-Amplifiers1.gc
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
youll amp will still go with at least one power tube but i dont think its decreases the volume by alot try it tough its safe.
the amp wont run i your missing any preamps tough but as long as you got one Power tube your alright
Quote by TheKaiser77
youll amp will still go with at least one power tube but i dont think its decreases the volume by alot try it tough its safe.
the amp wont run i your missing any preamps tough but as long as you got one Power tube your alright

...powertubes usually run in pairs (I mean class A/B). Thus I believe you need at least 2? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I know I could get an attenuator.. But I'd rather not spend hundreds.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Check the first page of the Laney Thread.

MrCarrot wrote a little guide on tube pulling for VC30s that should work with any amp with 4 powertubes.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by jxljxl
Check the first page of the Laney Thread.

MrCarrot wrote a little guide on tube pulling for VC30s that should work with any amp with 4 powertubes.

How positive are you

Umm. Not entirely. Ask MrCarrot in a PM or in the Laney Thread.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by tr3nt
How positive are you

SG Thrasher's used it with his GH100L and it's worked, I'm pretty sure guys have done it with 6505s and such too. As long as you follow the instructions to the letter you should be fine.

My Music
I just thought to email Doug from Dougstubes so I could get a for sure reply there, I'll have to wait.

He said he wasn't sure and told me to call Boogie

Quote by Fama
...powertubes usually run in pairs (I mean class A/B). Thus I believe you need at least 2? Correct me if I'm wrong.

yah your wrong, i had a friends crate v-30 for a while and thats what i did removed one of the power tubes, and it still kept on going.
Quote by tr3nt
How positive are you

it worked for me but i might add my amp is, oddly enough, a Laney VC30.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by tr3nt
He said he wasn't sure and told me to call Boogie

If you do that then they'll most likely tell you it voids your warranty and that your house will explode, shooting terrorists into the street. I'd hold off on calling them to be honest.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
If you do that then they'll most likely tell you it voids your warranty and that your house will explode, shooting terrorists into the street. I'd hold off on calling them to be honest.

Retubing without mesa tubes voids the warranty.

Marshall Powerbrake blows. Just get that Weber Mass 100. I bet if you don't like it, you can return it.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
a 100 watt is only 10% louder ( in decible) than a 50watt, you'll just lose head room. The decreased volume is virtually unnoticatable.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
the 50w setting is the same as pulling 2 tubes. You can't do both. Pulling tubes will affect the headroom more than it will affect the volume anyway.

If you want to be able to crank your amp at home you need either an attenuator or an isolation cab or a bigger house

---

Thats what someone on HC said.

Grr David :@ I know bro I really don't want to spend money though lol.

Quote by tr3nt
the 50w setting is the same as pulling 2 tubes. You can't do both. Pulling tubes will affect the headroom more than it will affect the volume anyway.

If you want to be able to crank your amp at home you need either an attenuator or an isolation cab or a bigger house

---

Thats what someone on HC said.

Grr David :@ I know bro I really don't want to spend money though lol.

yeah, if you are running at 50W, it's probably already taking a pair of tubes out of the circuit. You can ask boogie about it, they aren't going to void your warranty for asking. They actually have a section in the Dual Rectifier manual telling you how to take a pair of tubes out.

That guy on HC was right though, it's not going to do alot for volume, doubling the wattage of an amp gets you 3dB, which is about the lowest threshold the human ear can still even tell a difference in volume. Approx 10dB is considered "double" the volume to the human hear, and you would need a factor of 10 times the wattage to get there. It's headroom you're going to affect more than anything.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Hm.. Maybe I'll have to buy one of those small tube amps they have, does anyone know when BH's Killer Ant is coming out?

Quote by TheKaiser77
yah your wrong, i had a friends crate v-30 for a while and thats what i did removed one of the power tubes, and it still kept on going.

Well, guess what? It's a Class A amp. I believe Class A/B amps need their powertubes in pairs.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.