ok
I play a gibson sg, and love playing guitars that have a floating tremolo. I like the ability to pull up on it, but since i have a solid body guitar, I can't have a floating tremolo like a floyd rose on it.

so here's my idea

A trigger style tremolo, that sits above the pick guard (keep in mind i'm basing this off an sg setup) with pieces that replaced the tail stop so that it had the ability of moving freely with the trigger. It would have to have springs obviously to keep the tail stop in a neutral position when not in use. How the trigger would make the tail stop move idk, since it would have to go from a horizontal pull or push to a vertical pull or push. Maybe a wedge between two plates could change the motions. So as the trig. is pulled in the wedge allows the plates to come together to pull the tail stop back and put more tension on the strings, and when the trigger is pushed out it pushes the wedge between the plates more forcing the tailstop forward and releasing the tension on the strings, for a dive bomb effect.

like this

now
keep in mind
i'm a 15 year old
so i havent put together a prototype of it yet
and i havent exactly thought everything out yet

i do know though
that
1-i would have to change the horizontal motion of the trigger parallel to the pick guard to a vertical motion of the tail stop rotating and changing tension
2- the trigger would need a pivot point
3- the trigger and the tail stop would need springs to keep them in a neutral position when not in use
4-the tail stop would also need a way to pivot

questions? comments? concerns?
My Guitars- Gibson Les Paul, Gibson SG
:stickpoke
Last edited by guitar_kid99 at Jul 9, 2008,
wait...
what?
i
was
too
distracted
with incomplete
sentences and
weird spacing

Please explain more!

Draw a diagram in paint maybe?

Sorry. I really should use better grammar. I'll go edit it.
Interesting idea that would require quite a bit of custom tooling, I would think. Do you have access to a machine shop?
buy a bigsby
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by guitar_kid99
So as the trig. is pushed out it allows the plates to come together to pull the tail stop back and put more tension on the strings,
Quote by guitar_kid99
and when the trigger is pushed out it wedges between the plates more forcing the tailstop forward and releasing the tension on the strings, for a dive bomb effect.
*facepalm*
Quote by guitar_kid99
now
keep in mind
i'm a 15 year old
so i havent put together a prototype of it yet
and i havent exactly thought everything out yet
apparently not.
Quote by guitar_kid99
questions? comments? concerns?
1 - stay in school.
2 - don't do drugs.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
not to be a douche or anything but your 15 and you obviously had the money to buy both a GIBSON les paul and SG, my suggestion would be oh i dunno buy a guitar with a floating style trem?
s('-^)-b
Someoneyouknew. My bad, it was a typo. And for a 15 year old, I am smart. I took college level classes as a freshmen in high school and will continue to take them as I go through my sophomore year.

Quote by rancidryan
buy a bigsby

I haven't had any hands-on experience with them. But as far as I can see, they're ugly. Can you pull up on a bigsby like you would be able to on a floyd rose?

Quote by Losenger
Interesting idea that would require quite a bit of custom tooling, I would think. Do you have access to a machine shop?

No. Unfortunately I do not.

Quote by Natorjc
not to be a douche or anything but your 15 and you obviously had the money to buy both a GIBSON les paul and SG, my suggestion would be oh i dunno buy a guitar with a floating style trem?

I can see where you're coming from with this. However, I didn't buy these myself. My parents strongly support my participation in the fine arts. Especially guitar seeing as my father took Peter Frampton's place in Humble Pie at one point.
These two guitars were given to me on my birthdays. The SG I recieved two years ago, and the Les Paul I recieved last February.
Now, I know someone will say "If your parents have so much money, why don't you have them buy you a guitar with a floating tremolo?" My parents don't have alot of money. The SG was bought used. The Les Paul, my dad had given to a friend several years ago. That friend died recently and left the guitar to my dad in his will. Then dad gave it to me on my birthday.
so...ya...
Last edited by guitar_kid99 at Jul 9, 2008,
your parents spoil you. they have trems called stets bars go get 1
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by guitar_kid99
I haven't had any hands-on experience with them. But as far as I can see, they're ugly. Can you pull up on a bigsby like you would be able to on a floyd rose?

Not really. A bigsby won't do really big dive bombs or pull ups. I hear that if you pull up too far then the spring can pop out and become a projectile. We wouldn't want that now would we?
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
so like a guitar hero controller whammy?
There is so much free time in college.
Thus I procrastinate.
Thus I get better at Guitar.
Great idea... but i still don't get it.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

My first thought was "this kid doesn't know what he's talking about". But... since this is a forum that people help each other, I'll just assume for a second that you have a valid design idea. So here's what I would do:

1. Sit down and think about your design carefully.
2. Make sketches, draw all the parts in real size, see how they interact with each other.
3. Troubleshoot the design.
4. Make a model of it out of wood or something similar, on a plywood platform, check if it's working as planned.
5. Troubleshoot again.
6. Draw final design with precise dimensions.
7. Find some scrap aluminum/mild steel and make a prototype.
8. Post pics.

It would be nice if you had access to a drill press, mill etc, but with moderate skill I believe that a hacksaw and some files can produce working results. Good luck.