Page 1 of 2
I pretty much do all of the work. I find all the tabs for all the covers, I write down the orders for all of the songs (because he can't remember the simplest **** and has to read from a notebook while he plays), and I even write his bass lines for him to work with our original songs. He hasn't been playing for too long, but the stff we do doesn't require any skill, as easy as Bass already is. He'll **** up the simplest of songs everytime. But the worse part isn't even that. I think he's just stupid. He can't reemmber the proper orders for ANYTHING, even if he has it written down in front of him. It has nothing to do with skill, you don't need to be a Bass god to remember Intro-Verse-Chorus-Intro-Verse-Chorus-Interlude-Chorus. We don't even have a drummer yet, it's just us two but he doesn't do any work and it seems like just a waste of ****ing time. Is it just time for me to find another Bass player? I'm really getting sick of this.
well are you any better?
Lets make a toast...To women's underwear its not the best thing in the world but its next to it...
Quote by Boredom210
I pretty much do all of the work. I find all the tabs for all the covers, I write down the orders for all of the songs (because he can't remember the simplest **** and has to read from a notebook while he plays), and I even write his bass lines for him to work with our original songs. He hasn't been playing for too long, but the stff we do doesn't require any skill, as easy as Bass already is. He'll **** up the simplest of songs everytime. But the worse part isn't even that. I think he's just stupid. He can't reemmber the proper orders for ANYTHING, even if he has it written down in front of him. It has nothing to do with skill, you don't need to be a Bass god to remember Intro-Verse-Chorus-Intro-Verse-Chorus-Interlude-Chorus. We don't even have a drummer yet, it's just us two but he doesn't do any work and it seems like just a waste of ****ing time. Is it just time for me to find another Bass player? I'm really getting sick of this.

Whoa, what did you say about bass?
Last edited by Sound Mind at Jul 8, 2008,
Wow. Even when I started I wasent that bad! But some people learn more slowly I say give him a little while longer see if he can get better at that. but if he doesent improve say **** him. And you should talk to him about this. Say pretty much what you said here.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
omg did you steal my bass player?? (seriously, 3 years and 3 terms of lessons and he can't manage Sunshine of your love just yet)
yeah its probably best to try to find someone else

LTD EX-351
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1960A
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
Yeah, find someone who actually plays bass, and not someone who wants to learn bass (through you). It seams like a real waste of your time. If your actually friends then try not to throw out the baby with the bath water so to speak. Tell him he's got his homework to do and that he's got to spend his time learning at home, and to come prepared for the jam. In the meantime you could find someone else who, like I said, who actually knows how to play and work his (or her) way around a song for your serious jam and song building sessions.
Quote by Sound Mind
Whoa, what did you say about bass?

+1
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
haha i was in a bad a while ago and i almost killed my bassist.
we recorded a cd and on the inside he wrote:
SONGS WRITTEN BY: *bassists name* *guitarists name*
HE TOTALLY forgot about me (drummer at the time) and the second guitarist
i wanted to kill him
Dude, my bass player is just as stupid. I have to write everything down for, and put it right in front of him. Right before we played a gig, he to write the notes "Bb Eb F" on his palm, because he's too stupid to know how to play a 1-4-5 progression for "Johnny B. Goode." Yea, kick his ass out. I'm tired of stupid bass players myself, when I can play better than him.
Quote by Boredom210
as easy as Bass already is.

make sure you let vic wooten know this
Playing like Victor Wooten may be hard, but playing some root notes along with a guitarist is not at all, you can do an alright job at bass in no time at all! (but of course it takes a lot to be very good)
Quote by Boredom210

I, being a bassist myself, would like to add that playing a song is ten times harder when no drummer is involved. You also should encourage him rather than just putting him down all the time, if he has only just started of course he is not going to be very good.

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
haha my bass player fricken owns hes just as good as me .....kinda scary.....he can slap like 3 strigns at once.. he can ecen do pinch harmonics on bass...(w.o a pick....:P) he can tapp with like 10 fingers at once or something .. in my band we always do shred harmonies... hes even getting a bass solo in our next original... get a good bassist it makes all the difference
Think Bass is easy? look up Necrophagist tabs and on the bass section and then come back and tell me bass is easy.

Btw, from what I'm getting from you is that you're an ego driven asshole and your bassist is crap.
Quote by Roots_radical
Think bass is hard?? Look up Blink 182 tabs!

same good for the guitar and drums

You = idiot
I've done my research. Bass seems alot less complex than guitar from my experience at most times. Obviously if you're looking for something difficult on Bass you can find it, but that's the same for guitar. You don't have to do all 3-chord progression songs, there's harder **** out there. But anyways, I meant to phrase it as the songs he has to play are easy as ****. Playing 4 notes an entire song in the same ****ing order isn't difficult. We can't even begin to deal with the harder stuff because he can't get this right. We're not doing Necrophagist level work, this **** is like below Blink 182 level. I've told him a thousand times that it pisses me off that he can't do easy stuff and he says he'll get better (even though everytime I ask, he says he hasn't practiced).

And also, he mainly plays root notes because he forgets how the orders of anything else after a couple of minutes. I don't see how root notes are difficult to remember.

(Oh, and I'm not a god, but I'm at least decent and anything he's wanted me to learn, I can play with ease.)
Good bassists aren't exactly a common occurrence. But it sounds like you should try to find someone else. I know its always very hard to find other musicians who are at a certain level of commitment and skill, so you might have to choose between nobody or this guy for a while.
Quote by Boredom210
I've done my research. Bass seems alot less complex than guitar from my experience at most times.

In my experiance you can make a succesfull band using power chords.
But I'm not stupid enough to think that the basis of guitar is power chords, while you think bass is all root notes. Stop acting like you are high and mighty, when you just made yourself out to be a terrible musician.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Come on, you don't have to attack the guy because he said that bass was easy. Maybe you should try explaining why bass is just as complex as guitar before you assault him. I don't think he's arrogant, just misinformed.

I play bass and guitar, and I do think that bass is a little easier to just pick up and play. Even power chords can be overwhelming for a beginner guitarist. Root notes, on the other hand, are very easy and straightforward. Aside from that, bass and guitar are both very complex instruments that can be easy or hard to play depending on the song.

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't give the guy so much flak for one silly comment. OP, it may seem like bass is less complex than guitar, but it's not. Bass often plays a very small role in pop music and that may lead you to believe that it does not have a significant role in any genre. In addition, someone who doesn't have much knowledge about music can easily listen to a song and miss out on the bass line completely.

As for the OP being arrogant, I don't think so. If what he's saying is the truth then I'd be pretty pissed off too.
Don't we all hate our bassists? Just learn to live with it like the rest of us have.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
bass is the foundation of the band. Its a pain to play bass with out a drummer or click tracks. Its a pain to keep time in long drawn out solos.

with out us bass players your guitar would sound shallow and empty.
my bassist has been playing about a year and a half and can slap in time and improvise over chords. guess i got lucky!
Quote by trevorjps
haha my bass player fricken owns hes just as good as me .....kinda scary.....he can slap like 3 strigns at once.. he can ecen do pinch harmonics on bass...(w.o a pick....:P) he can tapp with like 10 fingers at once or something .. in my band we always do shred harmonies... hes even getting a bass solo in our next original... get a good bassist it makes all the difference

Ten fingers at once, eh?
Is this just some random guy you asked to take up bass instead of being a bassist? Or asked him to play with you because he owned a bass?
Fire him and get someone else.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Just for the record, blink 182 bass isn't as easy as everyone thinks anyway?

I mean some people should try and research their music before they have a guess at what its like.... go to youtube and search "Always - Blink 182" and watch the bassist in the video clip.... he is doing alot more then the guitar if you ask me... but hey, you guys do think your top sh*t.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by WhereArtEsteban
Alot of people can play bass.

Not alot of people can play bass.

.....See what I did there....

Yeah, I like that, and fully agree.
Bass guitar is a different discipline to guitar with different techniques. Yes, almost anyone can play root notes on a bass, but then almost anyone can play root notes on a guitar too, just as almost anyone can hold a standard 'boom, tit, boom boom, tit.' beat on a drum kit
When someone gets into expanding themselves on bass guitar, they get into bass chords and slaps and all that other stuff that a standard guitar player can't do upon picking up a bass for the first time.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by thanksgiving
Just for the record, blink 182 bass isn't as easy as everyone thinks anyway?

I mean some people should try and research their music before they have a guess at what its like.... go to youtube and search "Always - Blink 182" and watch the bassist in the video clip.... he is doing alot more then the guitar if you ask me... but hey, you guys do think your top sh*t.

that song is easy
my lil bro can play it on bass

any blink 182 song=easy
buy the kid a metronome
tell him to practice for it and come back when he's good
i agree that good bass playing is not easy but he obviously only wants simple root note rhythms to help keep in time so don't slate the guy
Synthesizer much? Pshhhh...
It's true,Good Bassist ARE hard to find...thats why they developed FL Slayer and Reason,for us jackass guitarist who have the "**** it ill do it myself" attitude
Page 1 of 2