can anybody help me improv better i always try to and i fail i need so help
Last edited by lespaulowner68 at Jul 8, 2008,
Okay, this isn't recommended, it's just what works for ME.
Improv, RECENTLY EDITED

For awhile, I'd move through scales, and picture just about every note I played. my improv was boring, and often "failed." It worked sometimes, but... sucked, in general! (since you didn't specify your problem very well...) here's my advice.

Recently I've been playing through the scales, little to no thought at all.... works much better! skipping strings, and trying not to limit myself. I think that was my problem before, I was trying so hard to make it sound good, it lacked origniality and freedom, just kinda repeated...

My advice is to learn a song that's fun to play and not too difficult, bluesy stuff is easiest for me. I learned Cream's (eric clapton's) crossroads, just the intro, and played by feel from there. I stopped and made a few "tricks" to break on and people will think i'm better than I am! once you've got a good feel for it, THEN you can start to shape your unique soloing style!

The purpose is to stop you from limiting yourself, and just do everything, even if you didn't think you'd want to try it.
Last edited by RockTheMoose at Jul 8, 2008,
Quote by RockTheMoose
Okay, this isn't recommended, it's just what works for ME.

For awhile, I'd move through scales, and picture just about every note I played. my improv was boring, and often "failed." It worked sometimes, but... sucked, in general! (since you didn't specify your problem very well...) here's my advice.

Recently I've been playing through the scales, little to no thought at all.... skipping strings, and trying not to limit myself. I think that was my problem, I was trying so hard to make it sound good, it lacked origniality and freedom, just kinda repeated...

My advice is to learn a song that's fun to play and not too difficult, bluesy stuff is easiest for me. I learned Cream's (eric clapton's) crossroads, just the intro, and played by feel from there. I stopped and made a few "tricks" to break on and people will think i'm better than I am! once you've got a good feel for it, THEN you can start to shape your unique soloing style!

The purpose is to stop you from limiting yourself, and just do everything, even if you didn't think you'd want to try it.

Im sorta like this.

What i sometimes do is dont listen to guitar dominant music for awhile too.

I'll stick rap on and i try to phrase my solo as if im rapping/talking. Or i pretend its Sax. That way i'd need to stop for breathe.

"The thing about music theory is, you learn it, then you forget it" i cant remember who said it but its true.

DISCLAIMER : (I highly recommend theory, just dont think it "has" to be that way, your ears are the best guide)
Quote by lespaulowner68
can anybody help me improv better i always try to and i fail i need so help

Wow, LPO! Your grammar and spelling is MUCH worse than it was on mylespaul.com!
What's up with that?