Page 1 of 2
Howdy, I have been NEEDING a floyd rose and I was wondering: If I don't need it to be floating, do I need to do any extra routing on the body. And I was also wondering how you would set up some sort of contraption for routing the nut slot. Thanks.
Just curious but why would you want to add a FL to a guitar and not have it float? If your looking just to have something that stays in tune better just buy locking tuners and install a graphite nut and maybe Graphtech saddles.

Edit: If you were to install a FL on a strat you would still need to route out the body as the bridges are different shapes and just mounting a FL flush on the body will give you some seriously high action.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Last edited by shredder.cheese at Jul 8, 2008,
buy an old kramer body or something, the neck should fit it and installing a locking nut on something not meant for it is damn near impossible, and the kahler string-lok is bull****, doesnt work at all
Yes you have to route the body and you would need a special jig to route the neck for the nut. You can probably google to find a pre-made jig for routing both the body and the nut.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Just about any bridge can be installed in any guitar so yes it will fit. But if you flush mount so it doesnt go up you will have to put shims in the neck to fix the action on it. And wont have good tuning stability without a locking nut. So it not whether its possible but if you want to shell out the money and be disappointed with the results.
Quote by Tackleberry
Just about any bridge can be installed in any guitar so yes it will fit. But if you flush mount so it doesnt go up you will have to put shims in the neck to fix the action on it. And wont have good tuning stability without a locking nut. So it not whether its possible but if you want to shell out the money and be disappointed with the results.

pretty much.

i would just buy a cheap floyd routed body on ebay or something.
But if you flush mount so it doesnt go up

you will have to put shims in the neck to fix the action on it

What do you mean by these two things?
special jig to route the neck for the nut

Does anybody know of any or know of somewhere that has some?
no, no idea, its just a real pain in the ass. id recomend just saving up and buying a guitar with one.

with a flush mount floyd. your strings sit so high up above the body of the guitar that your action would be retarded high, so you haev to shim your neck, losing all sustain and transfer of energy from string vibration because of the loss of wood to wood contact.

not worth it at all.
You need angle on the neck like a LP with a flush mount FR. So you gotta make some wood shims in the neck pocket to give the neck that angle. But you might need some longer screws for the neck. As for flush mount means it isnt routed under the back of the wammy so it can only dive. And the FR use a locking nut so you gotta mod where your existing nut is. The locking style is wider and deeper and secures with 2 screws from the back side of the neck.
with a flush mount floyd. your strings sit so high up above the body of the guitar that your action would be retarded high

so that is why you do the extra routing? to lower the strings? how deep should you route?
that super vee is the most awesome thing I've seen on a guitar in some time.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
If the bridge is easy to install, is the nut easy? or do I still have to do extra routing?, because rouuting the nut slot is really the only thing that I am worried about. Routing the body isn't that bad (if you have a template).
Quote by Van Halen Man
If the bridge is easy to install, is the nut easy? or do I still have to do extra routing?, because rouuting the nut slot is really the only thing that I am worried about. Routing the body isn't that bad (if you have a template).

theres no routing involved in the super vee at all. the nut drops in where the old one was, with some glue i think. check the website out it has all the details, and videos of it in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEurG8F19IU
^pretty much. its really like a floyd for a strat. you can set it up to float or be flat on the body.
also for less extreme whammy-ing check this video out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvjXYbwlObY
its really good, and from what ive heard it stays in tune great. I used it once at my friends house, it stayed in tune perfect and he installed it himself
Well, it looks like this super vee is a pretty good option, even thought it costs ~230$, it is probably less than it would be to have a floyd rose installed. Can you install a Drop D tuna on it? Oh yeah, and how hard is it to get the stock nut out of a fender strat?
Can someone give me a ballpark estimate as to how much it would cost to buy and h ave a floyd rose installed, just so that I can compare the two prices? Thanks.
yeah I knew that and the one that I have seen has a rosewood fretboard which I don't care for, and I am not in the mood to spen 500$ since at the moment all I have is 90$ (no job).
dpends on which floyd youre getting and then add at least 80 bucks onto it for installation (routing, aligning, setup etc.) I know the ofr is $170 from warmoth so probably around 250 ish it would cost you (or more). unless im wrong with the labor pricing, or if you know someone who can do it for you cheaper.
For the price you will pay to install an FR on your strat you could find a guitar with a Floyd already.

Example
http://cgi.ebay.com/JACKSON-DK2M-SEYMOUR-DUNCAN-PICKUPS-MINT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ270253113861QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33044QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Quote by Van Halen Man
Can someone give me a ballpark estimate as to how much it would cost to buy and h ave a floyd rose installed, just so that I can compare the two prices? Thanks.

$150-200 for the trem, $150-200 for installation.
For the price you will pay to install an FR on your strat you could find a guitar with a Floyd already.

I would rather keep the guitar that I have, rather than buy a cheeper guitar just for the floyd rose, when a floyd rose costs less than that. I will ask the guitar proffessional at the place that I had lessons how much he would do it for (Jason Rivera is his name).
It costs more than the guitar I was linked to if that is why you ask, I don't know the exact model name, but it is a 60th aniversary fender american strat w/humbucker, and a maple neck.
I think the super v's are a bit overpriced

It does kinda seem that way. If you ask me, they are tyin' to get as close as possible to the price that people would pay to buy and have a FR installed, but still be cheaper so they can maximse profits.
Quote by Van Halen Man
Van Halen Man Is Awesome

Quote by Steve Martin
I believe that sex is the most beautiful, natural, and wholesome thing that money can buy.
What exactly is meant buy "Shim the neck"
Quote by Van Halen Man
Van Halen Man Is Awesome

Quote by Steve Martin
I believe that sex is the most beautiful, natural, and wholesome thing that money can buy.
Quote by Van Halen Man
It does kinda seem that way. If you ask me, they are tyin' to get as close as possible to the price that people would pay to buy and have a FR installed, but still be cheaper so they can maximse profits.

If you had invented it, you wouldve done so too :P
I would get a super vee if i wasnt poor
I would get a super vee if i wasnt poor

Heh...
I don't even have a job, and I am probably gonna save up to either install FR or Super Vee. I currently have 90$ and I get 20$/week for mowin' lawns.
Quote by Van Halen Man
Van Halen Man Is Awesome

Quote by Steve Martin
i'd get the super vee. i was thinking about a FR for my Strat til i saw that
I wish my lawn was Emo so it would cut itself.

If at first you DO succeed, try not to look so astonished.
I take it that means that you DID get the super vee? And is it worth it (in your opinion)?
Quote by Van Halen Man
Van Halen Man Is Awesome

Quote by Steve Martin
well to start off with youd need to get a searchbar to do this

What do you mean?
Quote by Van Halen Man
Van Halen Man Is Awesome

Quote by Steve Martin
Page 1 of 2