I was thinking about upgrading my primary amp (15 watt Vox). At first I wanted an Engl Savage 120 watt, but those things are too expensive. I've been looking at Soldanos because I really really dig George Lynch's tone on Wicked Sensation. On that album he used an Engl (don't really know which model) and a Soldano SLO-100. The only problem is the SLO is more expensive than the Engl. Is there a nice alternative to the SLO?
Gear
Jackson DX10 Dinky
Dean Michael Schenker Standard
Dean ML XM (hot rodder)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Fender POS 75 Watt
MXR ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Soldano Avenger, single channel version based on the SLO OD channel, slightly tweaked. Not as many bells and whistles, like no FX loop, but you can have them add one if you order new. The prices are much better than the SLO however, I've seen them used around $1100-1200USD, about $1800USD new.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
$1200 bucks isn't bad at all.
Gear
Jackson DX10 Dinky
Dean ML XM (hot rodder)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Fender POS 75 Watt
Isn't the 5150 based off the SLO?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Do you really need such a big and loud amp? Wouldn't a combo be more useful to you?
Quote by CharvelJackson6
I was thinking about upgrading my primary amp (15 watt Vox). At first I wanted an Engl Savage 120 watt, but those things are too expensive. I've been looking at Soldanos because I really really dig George Lynch's tone on Wicked Sensation. On that album he used an Engl (don't really know which model) and a Soldano SLO-100. The only problem is the SLO is more expensive than the Engl. Is there a nice alternative to the SLO?

i had the exact same question a week ago.. wanted Savage what about soldano..and bought a 5150 III
Quote by Erock503
Soldano Avenger, single channel version based on the SLO OD channel, slightly tweaked. Not as many bells and whistles, like no FX loop, but you can have them add one if you order new. The prices are much better than the SLO however, I've seen them used around $1100-1200USD, about $1800USD new.

+1, they were $1,600 new at the GC sale on Friday though!

The Avengers really do sound great. I played a Diezel Einstein, VH4 and Soldano Avenger side-by-side last Friday and honestly, I liked the Avenger the most. It was a great amp for the price if you don't need all the bells and whistles. I'm sure you could get an FX-Loop added for not too much.

Anyone who says these things can't do metal is crazy, that thing had some balls and the mutes were monstrous.

Another option is the 5150 III, it's very Soldano-ish.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i haven't tried the slo, but i really dug the avenger i tried. very, very nice. EDIT: it'd definitely do metal.

vht deliverance might be worth a try too, similar type of thing, single channel etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The most sensible SLO alternative is probably the Soldano Hot Rod 50+. It can't get as clean on the cleaner channel, but it's hard to tell the difference between it's overdrive channel and the SLO's overdrive channel unless you have both of them sitting side by side. Plus they regularly show up on ebay for less than $1500.

I love the Avenger for what it is, but every rig I've ever put together has relied heavily on having multiple channels and an effects loop. When shopping for mine, I decided on a Decatone for it's versatility over all the other Soldano models. I paid $2200 for it, but since then I've seen a couple of them sell for slightly less than $2000. I've been nothing but happy with it.

Regardless, try and get one with Depth control. The Avenger and Decatone come with it as a standard feature, and it's an option on the Hot Rod's and the SLO.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
George Lynch used a Fireball and an ENGL straight, an older more vintage model. You can get a fireball for around $1000 used.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
I think Lynch used an ENGL Straight actually. Seem to be pretty rare. It's the one I have Don't know much about him, but I saw him playing one on some instructional video thing. Try it if you find one I guess.
I saw one online used on Guitarcenter.com I'd give that a look. Theyre really cheap for an ENGL. One went on ebay a couple months ago for a little over $300 I think.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
I've spent a little bit of time lately (been gone a lot) comparing my new 5150 III to my SLO side by side. At first, I was completely blown away by how great the 5150 III is, but as I play it more, I'm really appreciating the note definition & articulation of the SLO, which IMO, is unmatched by any other amp that is capable of this level of gain (the Divided By 13 amps have absolutely INCREDIBLE dynamics, but are low to mid-gain). The 5150 III is still an amazing amp, & I still giggle inside when I play it, but there's a reason an SLO costs almost twice as much, & now I know why. I was thinking of selling the SLO when I first got the EVH, but no way. It's a keeper for life, although I'll probably be using the EVH mostly for quite a while. That thing is SOOO much fun to play (whereas the Soldano is so unforgiving of even a hint of sloppy technique-you will sound like sh!t if you are remotely sloppy).
All this being said, just try a lot of amps (& the Engls if you can) before committing a ton of cash. As a few guys said also, you likely would not be able to tell the difference between an SLO & other Soldanos unless they were side by side. I got that straight from the guys at the Soldano factory. They said they can't tell them apart unless they play them side by side, & then the SLO's a wee bit punchier, but they emphasized the "wee bit" part.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Teh Forest King
I saw one online used on Guitarcenter.com I'd give that a look. Theyre really cheap for an ENGL. One went on ebay a couple months ago for a little over $300 I think.

That'd probably be the one I got
Quote by riffhog
As a few guys said also, you likely would not be able to tell the difference between an SLO & other Soldanos unless they were side by side. I got that straight from the guys at the Soldano factory. They said they can't tell them apart unless they play them side by side, & then the SLO's a wee bit punchier, but they emphasized the "wee bit" part.

So you're saying all Soldano amps have the same sounding distortion?
Quote by DarkPsychedelia
That'd probably be the one I got

haha nice score mate! how do you like it?
Quote by tarlkea
Quote by Teh Forest King

Yeah there was an Engl Straight 120 I believe it was at the Tempe Guitar Center for a long time, not sure if it's still there, was on their website though. Not a bad price either.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Gibson_Left

From what I was told by the factory guys, the SLO, Decatone, & Avenger sound virtually identical, & have the same OD channel circuit, the difference being that the components in the SLO are military-spec (lifetime warranty) & the SLOs use a DeYoung output transformer, which may account for the slightly more dynamic response. I should have specified those 3 models. I did not even ask them about any of their other amps. If the Hot Rods or lesser models were in that league, I'm sure they would have mentioned it. I spoke to them extensively before I decided to buy the SLO.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

^Isnt the main difference between the SLO, Avenger, and Decatone the options that he head itself has and theyre all essentially a watered down SLO?
Quote by tarlkea
Quote by riffhog
I'm really appreciating the note definition & articulation of the SLO, which IMO, is unmatched by any other amp that is capable of this level of gain (the Divided By 13 amps have absolutely INCREDIBLE dynamics, but are low to mid-gain).

how about cornford? i remember your saying you liked the one you tried (it was the richie kotzen one, wasn't it?)... maybe they don't get as high gain, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Teh Forest King
^Isnt the main difference between the SLO, Avenger, and Decatone the options that he head itself has and theyre all essentially a watered down SLO?

It's about features, yes, but mostly about components. I wouldn't call any Soldano product "watered down"! I heard a Decatone recently, & it sounded pretty much exactly like my SLO. Remember, the SLO has a TRANSFERABLE LIFETIME WARRANTY, so the parts are the best ones that money can buy. Better components do not exist.
I was going to buy the Deca (new) because of the multiple channels, but found a purple SLO on ebay in perfect condition for the same price as the new Deca. No regrets yet!
For the TS, an Avenger would be a great choice, since you get the SLO sound relatively cheaply, as long as you don't NEED an effects loop. Also, one thing about the SLO's effects loop is that you can't use regular cheap pedals in it, but must use high dollar rack gear. The cheap stuff sounds like crap because of the boost in the loop. The pedals work fine in front of the amp. I use only a Lexicon digital reverb in my loop.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

The Avenger is the most tone full, versatile, single channel amp available.
Get the 50 watt model, and it very well may be the last amp you ever buy.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
..apart from the engl se, diezel herbert bogner xtc lol. the search is endless.
Those are different amps.^^^^^ I'm talking about single channel, 50 watt, minimal features. The Avenger rules in that respect.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Gibson_Left

Kind-of-sort-of in a certain regard...but not so much in a certain regard.

Mike Soldano built his reputation, his company, and his success off of a very specific distortion tone, and that specific tone continues to sell well and is a consciously designed in feature on many of his amps. There are full production Soldano's (i.e. the Astroverb) and special/limited production Soldano's (i.e. the Soldano 44) that don't cater to those seeking this tone at all, but this doesn't discount the fact that most people who are seriously considering a Soldano are wanting that particular tone.

It seems to me that the primary reason behind the variety of amps in their line up is to cater to people with drastically different needs, the Avenger and Decatone being the most obvious examples of this. The Hot Rod 50+ and 100+ fall in between regarding features and price, and so does the SLO in regards to features (but certainly not price). The SLO justifies it's price by being ridiculously overbuilt and by offering the best warranty I've ever seen on anything...ever.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that most Soldano amps do have the same sounding distortion, but that is a completely intentional decision on their part and completely conscious knowledge on most of the buyers' part.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah there was an Engl Straight 120 I believe it was at the Tempe Guitar Center for a long time, not sure if it's still there, was on their website though. Not a bad price either.

Yeah, 130 watt. $999.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=101519251
Gear
Jackson DX10 Dinky
Dean ML XM (hot rodder)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Fender POS 75 Watt
Soldano SLOs are the best amplifiers built, in my opinion, of course. Mine should be here tomorrow. The overdrive is like no other and the clean channel is also unique to Soldano only. These amps are the real deal. The other Soldano are also great, great amplifiers but the SLO is the amp that made Michael is name in rock history. I had a SLO about 10 years ago and I foolishly traded it for $$ and a Bogner Shiva combo. The Bogner was a good amp but that trade was the worst gear mistake I ever made - and I have made a few - LOL!!!! The SLO I bought recently showed up on my doorstep DOA due to a shipping mishandling or factory mistake. I called Michael and he and I went through the amp over the phone for about 45 minutes and there was nothing that could be fixed by me. Talking to him and troubleshooting my amp was a really cool experience. It would have been cooler if it were someone elses amp and mine was fine but none the less it was wild. I sent it back to Michael and it turns out a screw was loosened causing it to short out. My SLO is due for delivery here at home tomorrow afternoon. I couldn't be more excited!!! I finally have my SLO back and it's never going anywhere ever again.

It's really hard to describe an SLO to someone that has never played through one. IMO, it's the best amp built today. Though they are pretty expensive ($3800.00 after all is said and done) they are worth every penny. I'm bias, as I obviously love Soldano amps, specifically SLOs, but I think I would be hard pressed to find a better amp anywhere.

^At that price, better or best is opinion imo (never played a SLO).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?