Hi,

I just replaced the strings on my bass, an Ibanez Soundgear one. The original strings were .45 - .105 gauge, so I bought a set of identical gauge. Replaced them, I even cut the new strings to match the length of the old ones.

So far, everything is fine, except for my D string. It had downright horrible intonation - played open it's fine, but by the time I'm at the 12th fret, it was a half step down. I adjusted the string saddle, and currently it can't go any farther - yet that string still has horrible intonation. I can't even produce a harmonic over the 12th fret anymore.

Previously, using the exact same gauge of strings, everything was perfect. Anyone want to explain why it's so FUBAR all of a sudden?

A quick response would be nice because I've got a gig in 4 hours.
id like to help you dude cause that sucks....but im good with theory, not the fixing stuff part.
if i were you id just borrow a bass from my friend, or dont use the D string
lol i have no clue
Quote by lardcake
A quick response would be nice because I've got a gig in 4 hours.
Damn o.0

In any case, you say you can't properly produce a harmonic on the 12 fret. Exactly how high is your D string off the fretboard?
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

I haven't measured, but it's about the same height as it was previously.

However, I think I may have found the problem: the D string has a defect in it. Over where the 15th fret currently is, the string seems to suddenly change its gauge - it's thicker past that defect.

For now I'll put the old string back on after a quick soaking in denatured alcohol. Should be fine for the gig, the average joe in the crowd won't know.

Think I'd be entitled to a free set from the store?
Quote by lardcake
Maybe... Depending on how much you can milk the store manager for, esp. with the story about your gig. Best bet would be a replacement string though.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by lardcake
I haven't measured, but it's about the same height as it was previously.

However, I think I may have found the problem: the D string has a defect in it. Over where the 15th fret currently is, the string seems to suddenly change its gauge - it's thicker past that defect.

For now I'll put the old string back on after a quick soaking in denatured alcohol. Should be fine for the gig, the average joe in the crowd won't know.

If you bring the sting in and show them that is messed up they'll probably just give you a replacement string. What brand of strings are they?
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll take it back to the shop and see if I can get a replacement string - it's only fair, after all. Either way some customer would get screwed for it.

As for the gig, I ended up borrowing the guitarist's bass. Thought I might as well leave the defective string where it is so I can show it to the shop people.

It was an awesome show.