Whenever i see a tube head for bass, the highest the wattage normally goes is 300W Tube.

about how loud will 300W tube watts in Solid State?

300W All tube Bass head would be = ____Watt SS Bass head

in loudness.
On an amp the power output is measured clean. The power a tube amp is putting out when it starts to distort or compress the signal is higher than the stated power output. It just depends on how much distortion you can put up with from the tube amp. There's no definitive answer.
And although it might be a good rule of thumb, watts =/= loudness
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
smb, why the avatar change?

And watts is just the power not directly related to loudness.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
First watts are watts

300twatts = 300sswatts
Both have the same rating.
The difference is when these amps exceed the ratings.
When solid state amps go over, their clip rate is much faster than tubes. the signal is compressed faster and immediately leads to a really "bad" distorted sound.
For tube amps, their clip rate is much slower. When they go over the signal squash is smoother and slower which results in a distorted sound that must people generally like. Basically they can keep going up and their tone will still be considered "good" sounding. SS amps just fart it out.

Hope this helps out.
Big misconception is that Tube watts are louder than SS watts.
This, simply, is not true.
Point is, is that when you turn tube amps up most people will say that they will sound "good" louder. SS amps just fart out and really badly distorted therefore not capable of going much louder than there rating. There are also certain frequencies that come out with tube amps that adds to their sound.

Love the Low end
Quote by c3powil
Because the animated one just annoyed me - especially if I'd posted more than once in a thread.
i know that watts=watts.

hence i was asking about the "loudness".

so basically.... a 300 watt tube when pushed, would be about as loud as a 900 watt SS amp?
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
so basically.... a 300 watt tube when pushed, would be about as loud as a 900 watt SS amp?
It's just not that simple. If you are into that kind of territory then your speakers will be the limiting factor anyway.
I would not say 900 watts.
In my experience it is closer to maybe 600-700watts with a real dirty tone, but some people dig that.
But speaker size and congfiguration plays important factors in "loudness"

Love the Low end
Quote by c3powil

Just following a trend.

Anyway, there is no conversion technique as there are many factors involved. However, companies that make both 300W tube heads and solid state heads sort of approximate 300W tube with roughly 1200W solid-state. Both Ampeg with their flagline heads, the CL/SVT2PRO and the SVT4PRO, and Fender with their Bassman 300PRO (Sunn 300T) and 1200 PRO. Eden has roughly the same conversion with their top of the line tube/ss heads. It's a pretty good approximation, but I can't imagine being starved for power beyond 800W SS.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Just following a trend.

Must...not...conform...

Quote by thefitz
It's a pretty good approximation, but I can't imagine being starved for power beyond 800W SS.

This.

I'm gonna say that 300 watts of all tube is equivalent to "enough" power. Though not strictly related to bass, I'm gonna through this out there. One of my guitar players has a 30 watt tube amp and he is around 4-5 (out of 12) on his lead channel for practice. Our other guitar player has a 25 watt SS amp and I think he's around 9 for practice. So tube amps are louder to humans.
Quote by thefitz
Just following a trend.

Anyway, there is no conversion technique as there are many factors involved. However, companies that make both 300W tube heads and solid state heads sort of approximate 300W tube with roughly 1200W solid-state. Both Ampeg with their flagline heads, the CL/SVT2PRO and the SVT4PRO, and Fender with their Bassman 300PRO (Sunn 300T) and 1200 PRO. Eden has roughly the same conversion with their top of the line tube/ss heads. It's a pretty good approximation, but I can't imagine being starved for power beyond 800W SS.

thank you.
my 400 watt solid state yorkville bass head was enough to keep up with a 100 watt peavey 5150 tube amp and a 65 watt peavey 5150 combo.

those peaveys weren't cranked to 10 mind you.. but i mean.. then you wouldn't hear the drummer (who's already triggered thru the PA) if they were.

my yorkville was getting pushed pretty hard tho. but it didn't sound bad at all. very clean and clear.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by smb
A trend...for grinning cartoonish faces?

EXACTLY, at least you understand it.

Anyway, yeah, my guess is 1:4 tube:ss, but however you want to do it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..