I have a squier strat, never had any restringring problems until today. I restrung my guitar and I would tune the 6th string, then 5th, 4th, ect. ect. Then I would play the 6th string and notice it was out of tune and then re-tune it, play the 5th, out of tune, and keep doing that. Then I looked down at my bridge and it was slanted! Like when you push down the whammy bar and the bridge lifts up, thats what it was doing and the bar wasnt even in. Its obviously a problem and I was wondering what I have to do? Please tell me its fixable without taking out new strings and buying new ones.

Thanks.
Unscrew the back panel there and make the spring tension higher.

I cut and modified these myself to my own liking but you can put them in a more diagonal position for greater tension. Or just buy another spring.

If you wanna mess with the springs with your strings on just put a trem bar on the bridge, flip it around and hold it all the way out with your right hand while you mess with the springs,

Hope that helps.
Also, I forgot to mention, you can tighten those screws to the left of the springs there. Make sure you use a long screw driver because they are hard to turn.
Quote by Ghold125
tighten the springs, also did you change gauge?
Yeah, went from light tops heavy bottoms to mediums. =/
Quote by TroM
Also, I forgot to mention, you can tighten those screws to the left of the springs there. Make sure you use a long screw driver because they are hard to turn.

I think Im doing this wrong. should I losen the strings first before I do this or something? I've tightened the screw to the point that I have to like call over chuck norris to roundhouse kick the screw driver but the bridge is still floating. And when I tighten the springs the strings go out of tune, so I re-tighten the strings back in tune and then the bridge goes up again.. =(
Okay this isnt working... the screws are as tight as possible and the bridge is still slanted a little. I think when I let my friend borrow my guitar he did something with the screws that hold the bridge onto the guitar. Would losening/tightening these do anything? Ugh...
*RULE OF THUMB* Dont mess with somethin less you know about it

So dont touch those screws on the top-side of the bridge.

Now by "the screws are tight as possible" do you mean the "claw" is as far up as it can go? Its tough to turn those screws on a new guitar, but don't force it.

All you need to do friend is turn those screws attached to the "claw" right. (tighten em) that will move the "claw" up and increase the tension on the bridge pulling it down. The heavier the strings you use the more tension is put on the bridge.

go to youtube and look up a few vids on Fender bridge set-up.

good luck
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
add springs, dont over tighten the trem screws, they could rip out.

if you have 3 then add another.

if you just want a tight bridge which i recommend in mex strats, then you might want to max out with 5.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by plucky duck
*RULE OF THUMB* Dont mess with somethin less you know about it

So dont touch those screws on the top-side of the bridge.

Now by "the screws are tight as possible" do you mean the "claw" is as far up as it can go? Its tough to turn those screws on a new guitar, but don't force it.

All you need to do friend is turn those screws attached to the "claw" right. (tighten em) that will move the "claw" up and increase the tension on the bridge pulling it down. The heavier the strings you use the more tension is put on the bridge.

go to youtube and look up a few vids on Fender bridge set-up.

good luck

What do I do about the screws that my friend messed with? I mean should I tighten them all the way back down or what?
the screws on the front face of the guitar dont have to be tight/ those can be backed up a bit to allow for trem bridge pivot.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
the screws on the front face of the guitar dont have to be tight/ those can be backed up a bit to allow for trem bridge pivot.

Okay, and what exactly are the springs called? Like what am I asked for when I go into the music store?
Jesus christ it isn't even much of a problem, most likely this comes from the strings breaking in, IF the strings are already broken in then the dumb asses where you got it didn't set it up properly, so go back to the store and make them fix it for free, you can do it, if your comfortable, if not let the professionals do it, if they screw up they have to buy you another one.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

strings breaking in dont lift the bridge.

and what dumb asses are you talking about?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by ~Shred Hero~
Okay, and what exactly are the springs called? Like what am I asked for when I go into the music store?

just ask for tremolo springs. bring your guitar in cause many places that do repairs will just give you one or two springs. and if the guy at the counter is in a good mood he just might put them in for you.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
Quote by plucky duck
just ask for tremolo springs. bring your guitar in cause many places that do repairs will just give you one or two springs. and if the guy at the counter is in a good mood he just might put them in for you.

Okay thanks. =)
Wait, wouldnt it just be easier if I just go back to my old strings (Light tops heavy bottoms)?
swapping back at this point probably doesnt matter, ur settings are different now anyway.

you'll need to adjust some things after any new strings settle in.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If you like those bro. changing the tension on your bridge is a minor maintenance issue that you'll eventually have to do at some point. Its no big deal friend, and once you're done you'll feel more capible of working on your guitar. Just have a good idea of what you need to do before you start. (i think you do already)
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99

Quote by niggafolife
Quote by jj1565
swapping back at this point probably doesnt matter, ur settings are different now anyway.

you'll need to adjust some things after any new strings settle in.

But instead of buying springs and putting them in and what not I could just revert back to the old strings and then re-loosen the claw thingy right?
yes you could. but again, there will be adjustments needed. because you'll have to loosen screws, and removing strings might allow the neck to relax a little more.

make sure you at least swap one string at a time, and stabilize the bridge before changing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yes you could. but again, there will be adjustments needed. because you'll have to loosen screws, and removing strings might allow the neck to relax a little more.

make sure you at least swap one string at a time, and stabilize the bridge before changing.

I guess I'll take the strings out now... then would I losen the claw now or when the new strings are in? I just realized my old strings were .10-.52 and the new ones are .13-.56 =/
haha, that's a big difference.

anyway, you'll have to put on the strings and see.

if the bridge dips into the guitar body then loosen the trem screws.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
haha, that's a big difference.

anyway, you'll have to put on the strings and see.

if the bridge dips into the guitar body then loosen the trem screws.

Alright, thanks for all the help.
Pictue a small thread or floss or twine...you can pull that thread tight enough to where it'll produce a pitch. Now picture a rope, you can do the same with the rope but you would need to pull it much much tighter. Guitar strings are similar to this(the thicker the string the tighter it will need to be to make a higher pitch compared to lighter strings). Make sense? Well your bridge needs to be adjusted to handle that extra force, thats all.

(weak analogoly i know) :P
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99

Quote by niggafolife
Quote by plucky duck
Pictue a small thread or floss or twine...you can pull that thread tight enough to where it'll produce a pitch. Now picture a rope, you can do the same with the rope but you would need to pull it much much tighter. Guitar strings are similar to this(the thicker the string the tighter it will need to be to make a higher pitch compared to lighter strings). Make sense? Well your bridge needs to be adjusted to handle that extra force, thats all.

(weak analogoly i know) :P

No it makes sense actually. Its just I only have 3 trem springs so I think I would need more but I dont really want to go through too much trouble so Im just reverting back. I just dont know how I will know that I raised the claw to where its supposed to be after the new strings are in.
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
No it makes sense actually. Its just I only have 3 trem springs so I think I would need more but I dont really want to go through too much trouble so Im just reverting back. I just dont know how I will know that I raised the claw to where its supposed to be after the new strings are in.

when the bridge lays back down after you've tuned and yeah you want to have 4 springs with 13 guage strings
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99

Quote by niggafolife
Thanks everyone! I reverted back to the original strings and so far everything is A-okay and the strings arent going out of tune after like 3 seconds of tuning them. I didnt even have to adjust the trem springs. =)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62