Hey everyone, Ive been playing guitar for nearly 5 years now and for that time Ive played alot of metal, hard rock and punk. But now I'm really bored of all that and after becoming a great fan of Hendrix, SRV, Eric Clapton, ect I really want blues to be the main style that i play. I think its amazing! its defiantly the music style with the most meaning. But i don't know where to start. I know the blues scale in all keys in the 1st and 2nd positions, i know some 12 bar blues rhythms and a few SRV songs. Also I know quite a few blues licks. So, wheres the best place to start? Should i just listen to say one Stevie Ray Vaughan album and learn all the songs note for note? Or is there some routine I could practice stuff in?
Well a Stratocaster comes to mind straight away, it would be best if you told us what Amp you had as well, and maybe a budget .
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
You are already well on your way, my main man. If you want to be a true blues player, do NOT go through an album and learn it note by note. Learn music theory that would be useful and applicable in blues playing, and write your own songs from your soul. I know from experience this will give you the most satisfaction.
Do NOT look behind you.
Yeah, Ive got a Ibanez JS1200, Laney VC30 and Proco Turbo Rat which I can get a really nice blues tone out of. I'm not looking to buy any new gear at the moment. I just want to know where to go now from what I already know from this genre.
Quote by c_man471
You are already well on your way, my main man. If you want to be a true blues player, do NOT go through an album and learn it note by note. Learn music theory that would be useful and applicable in blues playing, and write your own songs from your soul. I know from experience this will give you the most satisfaction.

I'm not too great on the whole aspect of music theory for blues. Is there any specific order thats best to learn it in? Could you point me in the direction of where to start first? Thanks for any more help!
There is really no set order you must learn theory with, but it sounds like you already know a bit. Here is what I suggest: learn the blues pentatonic scales in all positions and all keys, modes, etc. (here would also be a good time to learn major and minor scales as well, if you don't already) Then learn how to skip from one scale to another I.E. learn which scales go great with which ones and then you can skip around with scales in a solo. Remember, any scale can be replaced by at least 10 different other ones in any point in a song, and it would still sound harmonious. I really don't know how to put it into words, but what I think is you should get a teacher (if you don't already) and have him teach you music theory.

Also, a good beginners lesson that gives a broad understanding of theory is on this site and titled "Learning music theory: the beginning"
It is a good read, and will get you on your way, but reading is NOT NEARLY as easy as hands-on from a teacher.

This is just my two cents, take it or leave it.
Do NOT look behind you.