the fretboard wood does not affect tone much (i know that is arguable).

it is basically your preference on look and feel and play.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Biggest difference apart from looks is feel, maple feels a little "harder" than rosewood.

waht do you mean by harder?
In terms of feel maple is a bit smoother to play on IMO, especially tinted ones. Other than that, some prefer one over the other because for aesthetic reasons.
I love Ebony fingerboards the best, the dark wood is awesome.

I think it does make a difference, but very light. I used to prefer maple a lot more than rosewood, but now i love ebony and rosewood more.
maple has smaller grains, so it vibrates less or something,
and anyway, its sharper & brighter than rosewood, and i think ebony's moreso than rosewood
so it'd be like maple is to rosewood, what rosewood is to ebony
maple is brighter than rosewood. rosewood is a warm tonewood/.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by timi_hendrix
Biggest difference apart from looks is feel, maple feels a little "harder" than rosewood.

so is maple more durable and rosewood??If i happen to drop it will maple have a better chance of surviving. Also i treid a strat with a maple before and it felt like my hands were stuck to the board. when i tried to slide up and down the board it felt like my hands were stuck.I was like when your hands get sweaty and and like u try to slide it accross something but it wont. i hope u know aht i mean..is it jsut that guitar or all maple boars like this