Anyone know where I can get a set of P90s with one reverse wound so when they're both on its hum canceling? Can't find a set anywhere.. Oh and the cheaper the better
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
here's what i found. it's not reverse wound but its already a hum cancelling P90. both for neck and bridge.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/progressive/stkp1_p90_stack/
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by Tackleberry
Wouldnt flipping one over do it.

No, that'll only put them out of phase (IIRC)

Quote by brentonlatour
guitarfetish.com

I'll have a look. I'm certain I saw what I was looking for somewhere but I can't find the site!

Quote by leviticus_22953
here's what i found. it's not reverse wound but its already a hum cancelling P90. both for neck and bridge.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/specialized/progressive/stkp1_p90_stack/

Cheers but thats not what I'm looking for

Quote by forsaknazrael
You live in Scotland?

Talk to CorduroyEW. He's a pickup winder at UG. He can give you what you want.
His website is rockmonkeyguitars.com.
I don't think it lists P-90's yet, but he makes them now.
Oh, I almost forgot, he gives a 10% discount to UGers. Good deal.

Ah I think I've been to his site before, I'll check it out, cheers.

/e: Score! It was Gfetish that had them. http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsalvisoblp.html

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
I'll see how they compare price wise. This is for my secondary guitar so I'm not wanting to spend too much Obviously I'd prefer to give the trade to a small business but ultimately its whats best for my wallet that counts

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
There are UK stockists of GFS pickups. I'll have to email them to double check they have the correct pickups in stock, but beyond that, ordering from the states shouldn't be too much as the pickups are so cheap. I guess I'll just have to crunch the numbers to find out which way is better

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
hang on... i appologise if i sound daft here (electronics isnt my best subject, but i know lil bit)

isnt a pick up just a dynamo/transducer??? it has one wire wound around a magnet. Surely the "direction of the winding" is decided by which way round you hook it up (polarity) ????

im fairly sure that the hum cancelling effect your looking for is achieved by running 2 pickups, with one out of phase (opposite polarity) - which is just how a humbucker works. Same principle as using the bridge (or neck) and middle pick up togeather, and out of phase, on a strat.

or am i missing something ????

peace

G
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Last edited by hippyheaven1 at Jul 9, 2008,
Yea thats why if you flip one over it will be out of phase. And when both are used they would be humcanceling. Many of the humcancelling p90s are stacked or made like humbuckers which would defeat the point of getting a p90. I have a set of p90s in 1 of my LPs the hum isnt that deafening to be an issue.
Quote by Tackleberry
Yea thats why if you flip one over it will be out of phase. And when both are used they would be humcanceling. Many of the humcancelling p90s are stacked or made like humbuckers which would defeat the point of getting a p90.

officer tackleberry ;-)

how, in that case, does one purchase a "reverse wound" pick up??? surely they are all the same and the "direction" of the winding is determined simply by the direction in which you hook it up????
Quote by forsaknazrael
No, no...
You still need a RWRP pickup so it'll be hum cancelling.

please explain???

am i wrong in thinking that for a pick up to be 180 degrees out of phase from its counterpart, the + and - terminals of each P'up must be wired conversly?

or does the magnet polarity have to be flipped? but isnt that what reversing the polarity of one of the P'ups would achieve anyway?

can somebody who knows their stuff clarify this please??